12-07-2012, 12:45 PM
  • chabbs
  • Sydney, Australia
User Info
I wanted another mild razor to use when I'm in a hurry. So I decided to buy a Gillette Travel Tech off Etsy.

I popped a Feather into it and was amazed at how smooth it was! Also, the short handle gave it the head a lot of weight. It didn't shave as close as my Futur but it felt smoother and heavier than my Lord L6.

I also bought a Gillette Superspeed but I haven't given it a go yet. I'm looking quite forward to using it Biggrin

4 53
 12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Congratulations on one of many Biggrin

88 4,233
 12-07-2012, 01:11 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Congrats! Techs are great shavers.

5 447
 12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
It is a nice little razor.

I have many Gillette Razors. I like the open combs the best, the Red Tip, and the adjustables.

Not to mention the British Gillettes', the Techs and the 1940's Superspeeds.

1 819
 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Super Speeds are my absolute favorites. I however have a couple of Techs and they are great shavers. You might also like a Schick Krona if you come across one. I tend to like mild shavers though most. If they are too aggressive I get burned easily.

17 1,177
 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
Vintage razors are every bit as good as modern... the technology is the same. Welcome to the vintage world.

I have exactly one modern made razor, and lots more vintage.

32 6,364
 12-07-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
Well done and congratulations, Chabbs.

80 20,978
 12-07-2012, 08:43 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
I have one and always get a good shave with it. Enjoy.

0 230
 12-08-2012, 10:27 AM
User Info
Everyone needs to try the lowly Tech. My first vintage and a favorite with the Gillette NEW.

0 52
 12-08-2012, 11:12 AM
User Info
My first vintage Gillette, back when I went through my major RAD, was a Tech. I found that for me it seemed to work best, providing very smooth shaves, with vintage blades such as Wilkinson Light Brigades and Schick Plus Platinums.

196 12,069
 12-08-2012, 01:03 PM
  • chabbs
  • Sydney, Australia
User Info
Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying the world of vintage safety razors.

I'm going to start shopping around for a red tip and a Schick Krona now Smile

4 53
 12-08-2012, 03:04 PM
User Info
(12-08-2012, 01:03 PM)chabbs Wrote: Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying the world of vintage safety razors.

I'm going to start shopping around for a red tip and a Schick Krona now Smile

Stay away from the expensive e-bay "Vintage razor of the month" and you can allow your RAD to run loose a bit and it won't hurt your wallet too badly. When it comes time to sell you can sell them and get your money back. It's a fairly inexpensive way to indulge yourself. Of course you'll have money tied up in razors, but you can get it back pretty much w/o loss if/when you decide.

Don't forget, there are also single edge (SE) razors as well, and they can be an even less expensive way to scratch the itch. But the mildest of SE razors is about Superspeed aggressive. There is no Tech mild in SE.

I started my buddy on a GEM Featherweight SE because he had mental issues with SE. He thought they were just too aggressive, had mental pictures of his bloody face, whatever. He could handle it, he just didn't know that he could. Once he realized a SE was nothing to fear I handed him an Open Comb MicroMatic (OCMM) and he loves the thing. He's returning the Featherweight I gave him; can't stand the thing now- too mild.

Back to DE... Get a Slim or Fatboy and a 1 setting is pretty much a Tech. You can set it all the way up to 9. That razor still scratches my itch and did so this morning.

And don't forget blades! A blade makes a huge difference with any razor.

You have opened Pandoras box, and now it's simply too late. Biggrin You're one of us!

BTW, I've found the best place to buy razors are in the Buy/sell forums on the shave sites. Gents generally describe them accurately or magnify the problems so that you get more than you expected. Too, the prices are generally in line with current pricing, generally. On e-bay you need to know what you're buying, and the sellers generally haven't a clue. There are exceptions.

More info than you wanted, but I thought you were ready for the primer. If you have questions we're here.

32 6,364
 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Picked up my first Super Speed, a 1953, for 7 bucks at a local antique shop. Shop around, you can find a sweet deal.

I never knew about the Krona until I joined TSN, bought one from a member and I am loving that thing.

17 1,177
 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
User Info
Congrats, any of the Techs or Super Speeds I've owned have been nice smooth shavers.

5 79