12-07-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
I have a new handle made by Oscar11 in need of a knot, it's a mate to another handle he already made for me. The first handle holds a boar knot, so i don't want to duplicate that. It has a 22mm hole near as my eye can gauge it against a ruler.

OK, some info about how I lather...

I face lather exclusively. To me a large brush is a 20mm knot at 45mm loft, and I prefer to keep the loft at that or lower.

I have plenty of badgers, but my mind isn't closed to a badger knot. I already did a TGN 20mm Finest Fan, so I don't want to duplicate that (great brush BTW!). But as I wrote, my mind isn't closed to a badger knot.

I was thinking of a synthetic knot, but frankly I know so little about them. Is there one that would meet my specs and be a good (great would be better) face latherer? FWIW, I hate a brush that spews soap everywhere before the lather develops if that helps.

32 6,301
 12-07-2012, 03:53 PM
User Info
Lee (asharperrazor) knows his knots so you might pm him for info.

My suggestion would be a little silvertip knot from Shavemac. Even the standard silvertip has more than enough backbone to facelather hard soap.

63 2,125
 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
You might want to look here.

I prefer synthetics in the 23 - 28 mm range but the 20 mm works better than I was expecting and this one at least has me hooked.

This one will accommodate the smaller handle brushes and looks good in doing so. The Fuller was a major fit issue, and I did not want a brush to bloom past the stand, so this fit the bill on size as well.

If you use a synthetic you do need to allow a slightly longer loft than with naturals to maintain flexibility. I would not go too much lower than 48 mm.

If your knot is a 22 mm (2.2 cm using a standard ruler) then you might want to look at that size knot as well.

Good fortune in your search.

1 2,827
 12-07-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
Good luck deciding on a knot, Brian. i really enjoy my synthetics which are set at 48mm. They do spew a bit of lather, but not overly if you face-lather. They do make a ton of lather.

74 20,776