12-08-2012, 04:38 AM
User Info
Yseterday morning I shaved normally with my DE, I got a deep nice shave. At night, while I was waiting the wife to come to bed (that means a lot of time Biggrin) I opened my nightstand drawer and took a straight razor just to test how it would cut the regrown hair. I used it dry, I was in the bed after all Confused

The noise was like: grr grrr grrrr.
Then stropping once the razor blade on my hand I saw that I removed some hair but also a lot of skin! Among the black dots (hair removed) there were also white "dust" that I think it was my skin. This made me think that the reason I get irritated when I striaght shave is that I remove a lot of skin along with the hair.

How should I do to leave the skin where it is and just shave off the hair?

0 128
 12-08-2012, 05:31 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
There is no way to avoid it, shaving just by nature exfoliates and removes the very fine top layer of skin. Now if you start seeing strips of skin or blood, then I'd worry. Biggrin

31 1,510
 12-08-2012, 06:08 AM
User Info
(12-08-2012, 05:31 AM)Arcadies Wrote: There is no way to avoid it, shaving just by nature exfoliates and removes the very fine top layer of skin. Now if you start seeing strips of skin or blood, then I'd worry. Biggrin

Are you saying that with the DE I would get the same result?

0 128
 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM
User Info
(12-08-2012, 06:08 AM)MrDentini Wrote:
(12-08-2012, 05:31 AM)Arcadies Wrote: There is no way to avoid it, shaving just by nature exfoliates and removes the very fine top layer of skin. Now if you start seeing strips of skin or blood, then I'd worry. Biggrin

Are you saying that with the DE I would get the same result?

Yes, the DE removes a layer of skin too. You just never clean the blade like that and never notice.

For the straight razor, try using a shallower angle. You'll remove less skin. The sharper the blade, the lower the angle you can use. That said, there's a practical limit.

9 2,988
 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM
User Info
Thank you. I could never get a confortable shave with a straight. Sad

0 128
 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
(12-08-2012, 01:11 PM)MrDentini Wrote: Thank you. I could never get a confortable shave with a straight. Sad

While my goal is to convert the whole of the world to straight razor shaving, it's not for everyone. It requires a lot of dexterity compared to a DE or cartridge.

9 2,988
 12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
User Info
MrD, when I use an extremely aggressive razor and a fresh extremely sharp blade I normally get small strips of skin floating in the sink on the surface of the water. It's no big deal unless one goes more than 1 or 2 layers deep. Then you start to expose nerve endings and you get razor burn. But the outer most layers of skin are dead so it's no big deal. The flakes you got were ready to slough off anyway so it's even less of a concern.

Teachable moment for those who need it... BTW, for safety razor users, a great cushiony and slick lather and no pressure applied to the razor limits the depth of skin taken. If I did the same thing with terrible lather I'd get razor burn. I did that just once and I learned really fast. Don't accept lousy lather. Just start over.

32 6,310
 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
(12-08-2012, 02:24 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: MrD, when I use an extremely aggressive razor and a fresh extremely sharp blade I normally get small strips of skin floating in the sink on the surface of the water. It's no big deal unless one goes more than 1 or 2 layers deep. Then you start to expose nerve endings and you get razor burn. But the outer most layers of skin are dead so it's no big deal. The flakes you got were ready to slough off anyway so it's even less of a concern.

Teachable moment for those who need it... BTW, for safety razor users, a great cushiony and slick lather and no pressure applied to the razor limits the depth of skin taken. If I did the same thing with terrible lather I'd get razor burn. I did that just once and I learned really fast. Don't accept lousy lather. Just start over.

Excellent breakdown.

Also, the bolded portion was kind of gross to read. Biggrin

9 2,988
 12-12-2012, 02:13 AM
User Info
That could be dead skin?

Have you ever tried a Moroccan bath (aka Turkish bath)?
I do that once every couple of months. You should see the dead skin exfoliated.

0 193
 12-12-2012, 05:04 AM
User Info
(12-12-2012, 02:13 AM)hedonist222 Wrote: That could be dead skin?

Have you ever tried a Moroccan bath (aka Turkish bath)?
I do that once every couple of months. You should see the dead skin exfoliated.

I love the Turkish bath, it's not cheap here but I do it once a while, it makes me feel so good Smile Yes you're right it could also be dead skin, I should do the same thing with a DE and see..

0 128
 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM
User Info
Turkish baths are great.

glad you enjoy them.

0 193
 12-15-2012, 09:08 AM
  • A28
User Info
Excellent point on the lather I feel a good lather is half the battle I'm currently having issues with my shaves and I believe its cause I'm using a new brush that is causing bad lather cause I'm not use to itBiggrin
(12-08-2012, 02:24 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: MrD, when I use an extremely aggressive razor and a fresh extremely sharp blade I normally get small strips of skin floating in the sink on the surface of the water. It's no big deal unless one goes more than 1 or 2 layers deep. Then you start to expose nerve endings and you get razor burn. But the outer most layers of skin are dead so it's no big deal. The flakes you got were ready to slough off anyway so it's even less of a concern.

3 316
 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Hmmm, straight razor shaving...one of these days!

14 870
 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
I get great shaves with a de and a straight unles I'm not focused

12 568