12-08-2012, 09:24 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to be selected on B&B to review the full gamut of options for the new Atlas safety razor for one week. My intention of this thread (for I will be posting in an official thread on B&B) is to give the Nook my impressions of workmanship and shave quality for each if the head options.

The razor arrived today after only a couple days in transit, which was nice. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of traveling for the holiday season abs actual shave reviews and pictures will have too wait until Monday.

However, for today, I can speak of the workmanship and quality of the latest stainless steel razor. Previously, I have had experience with a Weber, iKon OSS, Tradere SB, and Feather AS. In my opinion, this razor is the most solid and straight functional stainless steel razor I have held. The quality of the workmanship is superb and for that alone it feels worthy of being in the same price point as the Feather and some iKons, and slightly above the Tradere. On a side note, I would put the Tradere as second on this personal list, with the other three pretty much tied for third.

The three heads are interesting in that it appears that it is the thickness of the guard bar that most influences the aggressiveness of the shave. While I don't have access to blades for another 40 hours or so, the opening for the H1 is significantly more than the M1, with the R1 in between as you would expect.

The handle with the classic barberpole spiral pattern feels very nice, and well grooved. However, it is smaller than I had anticipated. While I don't like escessively large or long handles, it will be interesting to see how this handle holds up. I had read the specs on the Atlas before, I am very visual and need to see things for myself before I fully understand something.

Again, I appologize for the lack of pictures and shaves, but I promise, that will come Monday afternoon, I just wanted to get things started!

35 1,732
 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
User Info
I look forward to your review of these babies. They are the new "hot razor to have" right now it seems, and I tend to want to try them out as well. Please share plenty of pictures too!

63 2,128
 12-08-2012, 11:17 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks for xposting it Anthony, look forward to your report.

88 4,233
 12-09-2012, 03:54 AM
User Info
Excellent review Anthony.

On another forum someone had brought up concern with the gaps of the three and thinking that they were out of line with what he assumed to be correct for aggressive razors. I have not handled these razors, so when someone throws out gap measurements on a "non Gillette style" razor, I take that with a grain of salt due to design differences. In addition there are many more areas that can affect aggressiveness than simply blade gap even for a "standard" DE design.

Your statement "that it appears that it is the width thickness of the guard bar that most influences the aggressiveness of the shave" helps greatly to clarify how these heads work given the gap measurements that were provided for each head combination.

Thanks for allow a better understanding of how these razors perform.

1 2,827
 12-09-2012, 04:27 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Thanks guys. I will be able to take some higher quality pictures than usual for me on Monday to try and give everyone the best virtual feel for this razor. And GD, my statement wasn't completely accurate, I meant to say the thickness of the guard bar, not its width. I will fix my original statement.

35 1,732
 12-09-2012, 04:29 AM
User Info
(12-09-2012, 04:27 AM)Tonality Wrote: Thanks guys. I will be able to take some higher quality pictures than usual for me on Monday to try and give everyone the best virtual feel for this razor. And GD, my statement wasn't completely accurate, I meant to say the thickness of the guard bar, not its width. I will fix my original statement.

Well that still identifies the different actions in the head rather than just gap alone. I updated in my post as well. I look forward to the pictures.

1 2,827
 12-09-2012, 05:23 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
We look forward to your full evaluation of all three heads and pictures.

100 12,447
 12-09-2012, 10:25 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Took a few quick pics for you guys

Everything together, machining is very nice

[Image: 7teMPl.jpg]

From top to bottom: H, R, M

[Image: h9DRAl.jpg]

Razor with H head
[Image: MaNuOl.jpg]

Razor with R head
[Image: pIlsIl.jpg]

Razor with M head
[Image: acsOxl.jpg]

35 1,732
 12-09-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
Excellent photos. They show the differences well.

Thanks!

1 2,827
 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Those pictures does show the gaps very clearly. A big difference between the H1 & M1

100 12,447
 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Good job, keep going!

88 4,233
 12-09-2012, 11:09 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I'll do the sane with blade installed tomorrow as well as size comparison with a Fatboy and #58. Then the shave reviews finally start. I'm a bit nervous for the H1, but very excited for the M1.

35 1,732
 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM
User Info
Thanks for the update, Anthony!

75 20,883
 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM
User Info
I've done some H shaves and some R shaves myself. It'll be interesting to compare notes.

9 166
 12-10-2012, 02:01 AM
User Info
Wow, great pictures so far. I am anxious to see the "blade in" pictures. Thank you for the in depth review.

63 2,128
 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Time for more pictures, now with blade in.

First off, the blade does stick out from either side of the head. don't mind this at all, but I know some people do.
[Image: 25sgql.jpg]

Next up will be a series of blade-in shots with the various heads. After seeing the blade in these heads and I really quite surprised by how they looked, so I decided to try and do my best to show the angle of the head for shaving, with the blade just barely touching the counter. As you will hopefully be able to see, it was rather shocking.

H1 blade-in and angle of attack
[Image: BHjyVl.jpg?1]

[Image: yC6tJl.jpg]

R1 blade-in and angle of attack. I confused this one with the M1 for how mild it appeared. In fact just trying to pick out the right picture was difficult. I greatly anticipate the shave.
[Image: VL4Irl.jpg?1]

[Image: tRG7ll.jpg]

M1 with blade-in and angle of attack
[Image: ETmfLl.jpg]

[Image: tRG7ll.jpg]

Now, even with not the greatest quality pictures, I hope you can see how similar the R1 and M1 heads are. The blade in the M1 is closer to the guard bar than the R1, but not by a lot, but it seems like it is so close it almost couldn't do anything. This razor is extremely fascinating, I should have a first shave update in an hour or so.

35 1,732
 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Awaiting your results Anthony. Great photos.

100 12,447
 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I measured the 3 different heads and the gap changes by 0.50 mm....H-5mm R- 4 1/2mm M -4mm......that is the total height of the base plate measured on the thickest part..going to see if I can tell the shaving difference tonight.Huh

6 1,913
 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(12-10-2012, 04:38 PM)Harvey Wrote: I measured the 3 different heads and the gap changes by 0.50 mm....H-5mm R- 4 1/2mm M -4mm......that is the total height of the base plate measured on the thickest part..going to see if I can tell the shaving difference tonight.Huh

That is very interesting, it's good to know that the gap changes at regular intervals. I swear though, the R1 and M1 heads as extremely similar.

Okay, and now for the first shave with the Atlas (FINALLY Tongue)

Pic, cause we all love pictures
[Image: YrJf2l.jpg]

I started with the H1 head, as I had a couple days growth and how better to mow down those hairs that something aggressive?

Well aggressive it was! You can really feel the blade on your skin, but with a careful and light touch it worked rather well. Now personally, I don't like aggressive razors, and after feeling how good of a job the H1 head did on the first pass, I know it would be silly for me to continue use, so I switched to the R1. Now I'm certainly not saying it is bad or too aggressive, it was very smooth and worked very well. If you like aggressive razors this may be a great one to add to your collection, but for my personal preference, it was too much razor for multiple passes.

So, the R1 on my second pass. Maybe it was because it was going ear-to-nose, but it felt quite rough and I couldn't get the right angle down. So I think a couple more uses for it are in order. I didn't fear for cutting myself though, as it was certainly not as aggressive as the H1. We will see how the next full shave with it goes.

Back to the H1. Some might be interested in reading about it compared to something like the R41, or maybe a fully dialed up Gillett adjustable. Lets look at how the blade it held first. The R41 holds the blade much flatter than any other razor I have used, as well as having the most blade exposure, the blade feels like it sticks beyond the threshold of a normal razor. A fully dialed up Gillette adjustable on the other hand feels like the blade is much more bent, as well as is in line with the guard bar more. Essentially the blade is further away in vertical distance with a Gillette and horizontal distance with the R41. The Atlas...well.. feels to be a mix of those two designs. As Harvey said the vertical distance between the guard bar and the blade changes by a regular 0.5mm with each head, but the horizontal distance seems to stay the same. The blade in the Atlas protrudes more (the horizontal distance) than a Gillette, but not as much as a R41.

One other thing, blade placement and screwing the whole assembly together is very smooth and the risk of a misaligned blade is nearly impossible with how it is designed.

That's all for the first shave. Curious, but well made razor. Next couple shaves will be with the R1, as the H1 is already retired from my use. Then the M1 will follow.

35 1,732
 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Anthony for another great review and picture. It is very obvious the H1 is on one end of the scale and the M1 on the other. So I am guessing the R1 will be dead center.

100 12,447