12-09-2012, 09:48 AM
User Info
OK, so I've been saying for 2 years that my ER '14 isn't aggressive, and in fact my ER '14 really isn't aggressive. I was about ready to mothball it but instead got the bright idea of comitting to using it and no other razor for 2 weeks to either come to grips with it or fully commit to putting it away.

I also got the bright idea to bring out my spare '14, and I shaved with it today (as seen in the SOTD). Well, THIS '14 is a really fine aggressive razor. Not at all like my other one.

So I put a blade in the other, and compared the 2 razors with my calibrated eyeball. Sure enough, the one I don't like has the blade further away from the curve of the comb. Plus the comb itself doesn't fall away as rapidly as the '14 that I like, but has a much shallower curve. These factors would account for the mildness of the razor. What a shame the one I don't like is gorgeous and comes in a really nice set, but I really don't like the shave it gives. It's about as mild as a Featherweight.

Oh well, I need a few ER handles for 2 lather catchers. Now I only need one.

32 6,309
 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
Brian, do you think this was a manufacturing difference or possible abuse by user(s)?

31 7,914
 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
User Info
I see no signs of abuse on either razor. The older one has more use on it as seen by the wear on the plating. The other one is gorgeous. I'd bet it was something just being off in manufacturing on the day it was made. Maybe the hydraulic pressure wasn't as high on the press, or the mandrell was different. But side by side the differences are small but noticeable.

FWIW, I tried to figure out if I could make the mild one into the other, deliberate abuse, if you'll allow me that. I see no easy way to do it. So I'll mothball the head and I have a use for the handle.

32 6,309
 12-10-2012, 07:46 AM
User Info
I wouldn't advise anyone to shave with a knurled round handled ER '14 unless they want to hear and feel each individual whisker being obliterated.

The '14 never fails to put a smile on my face.

7 414
 12-10-2012, 09:55 AM
User Info
Yes, quite different from my other '14 razorx. It didn't have much audio feedback either, at least not like the good '14. This on is like it has a soundboard.

32 6,309