12-09-2012, 03:34 PM
User Info
Review - Straight Razor Designs Opus X soap

It was good luck that my first glycerin soap was such a good one. I saw a youtube video of Lynn Abrams demonstrating this soap, and decided to give it a try for myself.

1. Product name: Straight Razor Designs Opus X
2. Country of origin: presumably USA
3. Container size: 8 ounces
4. Price: $15.49
5. Cost per ounce: $1.94
6. Fragrance: Does it have a scent? Yes!
7. Texture: Describe the look and feel. Moderately hard soap
8. Protective: Does it protect against razor burn and chafing? Yes
9. Lubrication: Is it slippery? Did it help the razor slide smoothly? Yes
10. Efficiency: Does it do what was expected to help me shave? Yes
11. Endurance: Does it require reapplication during or between passes? No. Properly loaded and lathered brush creates and holds ample lather for more than 3 passes.
12. Washable: Does it wash off face & razor easily afterward? Yes
13. Moisturizing: Does it add/restore moisture? Moderately
14. Time elapsed: How long did it take to shave, from prep to cleanup? 10 minutes
15. Brush lather: Will a brush make it lather in a bowl? Yes
16. Brush cleanup: Does it easily rinse out of a brush? Yes
17. Remarks: Before I had ever used SRD Opus X, I had false expectations about glycerin soaps in general, based on somewhat negative comments from many posts. The forums contain a few reviews of SRD soaps that are generally positive, however. Also, I have experienced poor and very disappointing results from a handful of artisan soaps and even some major label brands, and if I had not seen Lynn Abrams' video, I would not have believed the soap would lather and shave anywhere near as well as it does. I have four (4) words to describe SRD soap. Pure, Simple, Effective, and Easy. After 14 latherings and or shaves over the past 14 days, my original expectations have been far surpassed. I find the fragrance to be very masculine and satisfying. It has been compared to the scent of pipe tobacco in a tobacco shop. My intent is to use the whole tub before I move on to another soap or cream. I've lathered the soap with badger and boar brushes. Loading time on the soap varies from one (1) full minute with a boar, to one and a half (1.5) minutes with a badger brush. Judging from the reduction of the content of the tub after 14 applications, I'd guess the tub will last at least 40 to 50 days from new to empty. The soap likes water. The lather is ample and lasts throughout at least 3 ample passes, with plenty remaining at the end. The lather is firm and tight. No soapsuds, no disappearing lather. As with any soap, too little product and too much or too little water will have disappointing results that should be credited to lathering technique, but not to the the soap. Thanks to SRD Opus X soap, my choices of soaps has become broader, and my enjoyment has increased. This is a good product. I do not hesitate to recommend it, and will happily buy it again. As a matter of fact, I also have a tub of SRD West Indies Bay, and a tub of Lime.

24 1,113
 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Thanks for the review. I have not tried glycerin soaps yet (was unsure about performance), but now I will check SRD soaps out. Again, thanks. Tongue

16 536
 12-09-2012, 10:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks for the review Gary. Always good to hear about another satisfying product.

173 23,290
 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
Thanks for the review. I have had good luck with glycerine soaps, and now apparently have to add another to my list of soaps to buy!

0 230
 12-11-2012, 12:38 AM
User Info
Great review Gary! Thorough and detailed. Makes me want to try glycerin based soaps again. Never thought that would happen. Tongue

15 75