12-10-2012, 07:42 AM
User Info
Whilst in Italy three weeks ago, I saw a FaTip Piccolo open comb razor. I notice that it is on sale in the uk. Does anyone have any experience of it, I resisted a purchase at the time as I knew nothing about it's quality.
Also I saw a FaTip Grande on sale.

All the very. very best
Wills

0 16
 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
They perform very well amongst open-comb razors. They are blood relatives of the old Muhle OC and current Joris razors. One caution is that their finishing in terms of plating and such is not the best. Nonetheless they are quite decent for the price that they sell for. The Grande and Piccolo have the same OC heads and differ only in terms of handle dimensions. Finishes available include chrome, nickel, gold, and gunmetal - not all are available with each handle type.

102 17,670
 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The only thing I can add to Ravi's synopsis is that the FaTip is similarly aggressive to the Joris if not a touch more so. The Joris with it's exquisite palladium plating IMO provides a smoother, more comfortable experience. But perhaps that's my subconscious trying to justify the extra expense, although it's hardly necessary given that the Joris are more akin to objects of art unlike the more basic, no frills FaTip. In summary, the FaTip is a moderately aggressive, keenly priced, basic tool that shaves much like a Joris, but is devoid of high quality and high cost finishes.

91 17,854
 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
What Ravi and Ben have said, pretty much covers the FaTip. If you want a comparable razor and shave, the Cadet open-combs would be a better alternative, possibly. Good luck.

75 20,883
 12-11-2012, 03:47 AM
User Info
Thanks for the info, I wonder if my old Gillette open comb is comparable to the FaTip one. I have had it for many, many years. It does not come close to a 39c or a Futur as far as a close shave is concerned. Thing is, how would the FaTip compare to those.

All the very, very best
Wills

0 16
 12-11-2012, 04:28 AM
User Info
I have both. IMHO the Fatip is a tad more agressive.

2 546