03-24-2012, 01:41 PM
User Info
Gents, I have extremely soft water out of my well, but one can't spend much time at all on any of the shave forums w/o hearing about hard water and the difficulty of lathering with it.

I suppose this question is directed to those with hard water. The countries/areas of the world that are known to have hard water are Great Britain, northern Italy, and I don't where else (Turkey?).

Do you folks with hard water notice soaps from those countries lathering easier? That is, formulated to lather better in their native hard water?

IMO, it would make sense that that would be the case, but I think I can almost lather unsaponified lard, so I'm someone with a question and no way to test it.

For myself I'm just curious. But it does make a difference what soaps get suggested for noobs to try. Some soaps are notoriously difficult to lather and a recent post got me to pondering this. (The Shea "some sort of soap" thread)

Anyway, thanks for any input on this.

32 6,309
 03-24-2012, 01:50 PM
User Info
I have had very hard water in some areas where I have lived and traveled. I really have not noticed a huge difference or had soaps that I could not use because of it. At most, I may have had to load a little longer and use more product.

The most noticeable impact has been on brushes. I lived in an area where the hardness was 200+ and after a week if you fanned your brush it would act like it was covered in talc.

2 697
 03-24-2012, 02:07 PM
User Info
I have water categorized as "very hard". I can get any soap I have to lather well. I do tend to load my brush much longer than most as the higher concentrations of calcium & magnesium (I think anyway) will bind the soap & make it unlatherable. Once that point is reached than all soap loaded beyond that should lather as if I'm using distilled water. So in summation, us guys lathering in hard water get to try new soaps & creams faster since we go through them quicker.

31 7,914
 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-24-2012, 01:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Gents, I have extremely soft water out of my well, but one can't spend much time at all on any of the shave forums w/o hearing about hard water and the difficulty of lathering with it.

I suppose this question is directed to those with hard water. The countries/areas of the world that are known to have hard water are Great Britain, northern Italy, and I don't where else (Turkey?).

Do you folks with hard water notice soaps from those countries lathering easier? That is, formulated to lather better in their native hard water?

IMO, it would make sense that that would be the case, but I think I can almost lather unsaponified lard, so I'm someone with a question and no way to test it.

For myself I'm just curious. But it does make a difference what soaps get suggested for noobs to try. Some soaps are notoriously difficult to lather and a recent post got me to pondering this. (The Shea "some sort of soap" thread)

Anyway, thanks for any input on this.

Brian, that's an interesting thought. I live in a hard water area and while some soaps may be harder to lather than others, I never really gave a thought as to where they came from in relation to the type of water.

2 11,211
 03-24-2012, 02:46 PM
User Info
Doesn't most of Italy have pretty hard water? Maybe that's why we are blessed with Italian Soft Soaps instead of Italian triple milled soaps?!

31 7,914
 03-24-2012, 02:55 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
In hard water situations its best to use a product with SLS. SLS is a detergent and will work in both soft and hard water environments. There are some soaps that use a chemical which is known as a base, its purpose is to soften water. It does it by one of two ways, the first is by sequestering the minerals, the second is by precipitation.

1 265
 03-24-2012, 03:28 PM
  • PDB
User Info
(03-24-2012, 02:55 PM)Mynorx Wrote: In hard water situations its best to use a product with SLS. SLS is a detergent and will work in both soft and hard water environments. There are some soaps that use a chemical which is known as a base, its purpose is to soften water. It does it by one of two ways, the first is by sequestering the minerals, the second is by precipitation.

Seems I just read a thread where someone ? had taken the SLS out of their soap. I think the verdict was that the new formula did not work as well. I do not remember which soap it was, I will have to look.

0 31
 03-24-2012, 06:11 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
It was Proraso. They're removing SLS from their products. For some, SLS can be a skin irritant.

0 353
 03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-24-2012, 02:33 PM)freddy Wrote: Brian, that's an interesting thought. I live in a hard water area and while some soaps may be harder to lather than others, I never really gave a thought as to where they came from in relation to the type of water.

Yes, the San Diego water is horrendously hard. I hadn't given it any thought either.

Although its strange you mention GB, as I think the French and German soaps perform better for me, oddly.

9 541
 03-24-2012, 09:27 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
(03-24-2012, 06:11 PM)Brent Wrote: It was Proraso. They're removing SLS from their products. For some, SLS can be a skin irritant.

SLS is a modern day multipurpose detergent. Its in everything, read your shampoos,dish detergent,hand liquid soap,and toothpaste ingridients.

1 265
 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
I don't know how hard my water is exactly, but it is hard enough that, by comparison, I consider the lower end of "very hard" as "very soft" by comparison. Anything can work with enough effort, but softer soaps tend to be a lot easier to use, since, as stated above, you use a LOT more soap.

1 189
 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I live in Utah and I have really hard water (Mynorx knows about it) and I can make lather from many soaps if they are well formulated.However,as soon as I move to a new house,I will install a soft water softener with no doubt on my mind.
The soaps that I find works better with hard water are the Harris ones,La Toja and Provence Sante.

86 7,123