12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
Hello Trad Wet Shavers Cool

I need two new toys to play with Blush ........ Tongue

I consider buying the Titan H1 and the Tradere SB.

What can I expect from these two solid steel stainless De razors regarding aggressiveness and forgiveness ?

I enjoy my Japanese Straight Artist club from time, my Mühle R41 but also find great pleasure in using my mild Mühle Stylo and Sophist R89 and my Edwin Jagger Bulbous and Chatsworth chrome razors.

I use two DE blades exclusively for all my DE shaves: Feather SP and Gillette Blue 7 O'Clock. This after testing several dozen DE blades.

Which of the two DE razors in question do you own and enjoy and should you own both can you then please compare them and tell me about your opinion Smile

22 5,047
 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
2 totally different razors from my experience.

The Tradere SB is a very well made "moderate" shaver that will deliver results on my face, very much like my 39C Slant and my Parker 98R. It is a bit more aggressive than my Weber DLC...and is every bit as smooth; although you do need to take a shave or two to get used to the head design. A better value in my opinion than the Pils which I just sold while delivering a slightly better shave.

My comparison with the Tradere SB was the Weber DLC, Pils, Parker 98 and Merkur Slant.

The Titan H is considerably more aggressive, although not nearly as smooth in my experience and is actually a bit on the harsh side. Build quality however is quite good. I did get a blemished cap, but ATT had me a new in just a few days.

My comparison with the Titan H was the R41, Joris, Big Fellow Old, Barbasol Floating Head, Futur cranked up and my Cobra Classic. YMMV.

If you already own the R41 and the R89 - the Tradere will fit in the middle perfectly.

29 466
 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Not to complicate matters but consider the New Ikons...package Plus 5...$199.00 and you get a open comb,a smooth bar and a double head...available on the Ikon site...hard to beat ..gives you all kinds of shaving options...all stainless and the reviews have been positive. if money is an object get the Weber polished stainless for $70.00...best value of all. I think it really depends if you want a razor or a collection...I collect so I have almost every possible set up there is..but once you go my way be ready to sell a kidney or rob a bank (not really)...any way that is my 2 cents. Good luck on your decision.Shaving

6 1,913
 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I agree with Sanjax, two completely different razors. If you are looking purely at the H1, and not the other heads, I agree with Samjax that the Tradere is smoother, though the quality of the Titan is probably a bit more refined if the Atlas is anything to base than assumption off of.

The Tradere would be more middle of the road between the R41 and EJ/Muhle, whereas the H1 would be much closer to the R41 feel.

35 1,732
 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
User Info
The H1 is pretty aggressive, not quite the R41 level for me, but still a little much for my taste, and I'm enjoying the Titan R1 more. If you like the R41 you can handle the H1 -- it's a great shave. Still, I would recommend the Tradere SB over the Titan. Smoother for sure, but also such a different format that the experience is different. You may already have three-piece razors similar in layout to the H1, if you see what I mean. The Tradere is more interesting to me.

9 166
 12-11-2012, 07:21 AM
User Info
I can't comment on the Titan but the Tradere SB provides me with the smoothest and closest shave of any razor I have used which includes vintage Gillettes, Merkurs, EJ, and Webers.

0 156
 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM
User Info
Thanks for your help, guys Smile

I think I will go for a Tradere SB as my number one pick, then I consider getting the Joris full chrome razor or the Ikon pack with the 3 different heads in one package......

Need to read more reviews.
Not sure i want more than 2 aggressive razors now, i own the R41 2011 with Ikon Bulldog XL and the R41 with my EJ Chatsworth Barley chrome handle and also got my Merkur Futur, which set to 4-5 is pretty darn aggressive.

Looking to find something in between R41 2011 and R89 in solid quality.......
Probably will buy 2 quality razors, 99% one will be Tradere SB, the other will be Ikon full pack or a Joris full chrome Palladium.....I think Wink

22 5,047
 01-11-2013, 02:19 AM
User Info
(12-10-2012, 05:59 PM)Samjax Wrote: 2 totally different razors from my experience.

The Tradere SB is a very well made "moderate" shaver that will deliver results on my face, very much like my 39C Slant and my Parker 98R. It is a bit more aggressive than my Weber DLC...and is every bit as smooth; although you do need to take a shave or two to get used to the head design. A better value in my opinion than the Pils which I just sold while delivering a slightly better shave.

My comparison with the Tradere SB was the Weber DLC, Pils, Parker 98 and Merkur Slant.

The Titan H is considerably more aggressive, although not nearly as smooth in my experience and is actually a bit on the harsh side. Build quality however is quite good. I did get a blemished cap, but ATT had me a new in just a few days.

My comparison with the Titan H was the R41, Joris, Big Fellow Old, Barbasol Floating Head, Futur cranked up and my Cobra Classic. YMMV.

If you already own the R41 and the R89 - the Tradere will fit in the middle perfectly.

Thanks Tom, and thanks again for making that review of stainless steel razors - very nice reading indeed !

(12-10-2012, 06:10 PM)Harvey Wrote: Not to complicate matters but consider the New Ikons...package Plus 5...$199.00 and you get a open comb,a smooth bar and a double head...available on the Ikon site...hard to beat ..gives you all kinds of shaving options...all stainless and the reviews have been positive. if money is an object get the Weber polished stainless for $70.00...best value of all. I think it really depends if you want a razor or a collection...I collect so I have almost every possible set up there is..but once you go my way be ready to sell a kidney or rob a bank (not really)...any way that is my 2 cents. Good luck on your decision.Shaving

I collect brushes, but with around 50 brushes in badger hair high end quality, I fell like exploring razors now Cool
I just bought the Ikon 5-piece set based on your recommendations. Already own the ikon Bulldog XL handle with my R41 2010 Mühle head.
Have read a lot of bad things about Greg, the owner of Ikon, hope I will not be disappointed with the purchase.....

(12-10-2012, 06:43 PM)Tonality Wrote: I agree with Sanjax, two completely different razors. If you are looking purely at the H1, and not the other heads, I agree with Samjax that the Tradere is smoother, though the quality of the Titan is probably a bit more refined if the Atlas is anything to base than assumption off of.

The Tradere would be more middle of the road between the R41 and EJ/Muhle, whereas the H1 would be much closer to the R41 feel.

I will buy the Tradere SB and then next month order the Titan/Atlas 7-piece set for $399 on the ATT site.

Also looking at getting a Joris in full chrome - either lined or swirled version.
Owned Feather and Pils, they were too midl for me, epsecially the Feather, which I bought twice because I refused to believe it was so poor performing and that it was down to my technique with it....turned out I also sold the second Feather within 2 months of purchasing it brand new with th stand and all Blush

I enjoy milder R89 type of DE razors, but the Feather was just weird kind of extreme mild....

(12-10-2012, 08:45 PM)middlesmith Wrote: The H1 is pretty aggressive, not quite the R41 level for me, but still a little much for my taste, and I'm enjoying the Titan R1 more. If you like the R41 you can handle the H1 -- it's a great shave. Still, I would recommend the Tradere SB over the Titan. Smoother for sure, but also such a different format that the experience is different. You may already have three-piece razors similar in layout to the H1, if you see what I mean. The Tradere is more interesting to me.

Thanks - will get the Tradere SB and the Titan/Atlas 7-piece full set for $399 next month.

(12-11-2012, 07:21 AM)Fourcooks Wrote: I can't comment on the Titan but the Tradere SB provides me with the smoothest and closest shave of any razor I have used which includes vintage Gillettes, Merkurs, EJ, and Webers.

Thanks for your post, a Tradere SB will soon be in my possession Cool

22 5,047
 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
Be sure and post your impressions of the Tradere and the ATT set!

9 166