03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
Amongst the de razors in my shave cabinet is my 1930 NEW President OC Short Comb. This is undoubtedly the showpiece in my cabinet. I gives me a very respectable shave but I find it a bit more aggressive than I care for. I've read many posts indicating the NEW OC Long Comb is a bit milder than the Short Comb so naturally I've been very curious but not sure if I should pop the $75 for the Bull Mastiff Deluxe XXL with the Flared Knob and the NEW Long Comb head I've been eyeballing at BRW.

A couple of weeks ago I was up late surfing the bay and found a NEW Long Comb Tech in excellent condition about to close and nobody had placed a bid, talk about being in the right place at the right time. Three days later the razor arrived. The next morning I took it for a shave with surprizing results. It definitely is a bit milder than the Short Comb and gave me a much nicer shave than I've ever gotten from the 1930 NEW President. This opens up a whole new world of choices from BRW. I hear his work is outstanding and I really like the look of that Bull Mastiff Deluxe XXL with the Flared Knob and the NEW Long Comb head. I wonder if he would do that combination plated in Rhodium. Nickel would be just fine, but Rhodium would be stunning.

Now the only question is do I keep the President SC or sell it to fund some Long Comb acquisitions, I'm not one to keep a razor I'm not going to use, but it's so damn beautiful!

I believe druidical offerings and a consultation with the Oracle my be in order, I'm so confused... Confused

0 136
 03-25-2012, 12:32 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Oracle told me to tell you to sell the President to someone who will not only admire it's genteel aesthetic qualities, but also enjoy it's aggressive shave abilities. (That someone being ME!!!) Seriously if you think of letting it go, I'd gladly give it a good home (as I've been looking for one for some time and residing in Australia, my real only option has been trawling the dreaded bay).

Further, I was also recently admiring Bob's work too. In fact I sent him an email requesting a short comb and bull mastiff. Bob replied that he was moving and would be taking orders again in April. So now might be the time, before a back log ensues?

91 17,610
 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
BRW's handles are works of art so I'd definitely sell the President and get a re-plated long comb New head with the handle.

I've got two of his handles (a Bull Mastiff XXL Deluxe and Bull Mastiff XXl with Flared Knob) and they are of excellent quality.

I think they would look stunning plated in Rhodium!!!

32 638
 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
The quality of Bob's work is outstanding. I don't know why he's moving. Hopefully it won't change what he does in a negative fashion.

As for the razor...tough call. I have a New Deluxe (replated) that gets little use, but I'm not inclined to let it go. A President.. a harder call yet.

Good luck with the decision.

44 1,327