12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
User Info
UPDATE: Thanks to this thread and others around, I have found some great options, and have a budding new AD! But please feel free to add any advice or tips, and there's alot of good info in here that may be able to help others out!

Guys, I have a real need here for this, and I could really use some help! I've looked online at some, but their specs and numbers don't reflect real world usage to me.

First I have to say that I'm legally blind normally, but put me in the dark and I'm essentially totally blind. Of course the severity of this depends on alot of factors, but for me it is a serious problem.

Over the years, it's been so hard to have to rely on someone to guide me in the dark. In recent years, having a family and kids it's become so much harder when we're anywhere fun with them and the sun goes down. I need a helping light! The idea of being in this situation is a true source of anxiety and stress, worry and a feeling of being a reak burden. I want to spend this time with my family, but I almost feel like I need to stay home if being out after dark is involved. I don't want to do that though!

We were at Disneyland this weekend and it was extremely hard. Any theme park type place is extremely hard. And unfortunately the crowds don't help or understand when they get shouldered by me and I had no idea they were there. I have decided that ambience be damned, I'm bringing my own flashlight! This is where I need your help.

I'm looking for a reasonably compact, quite bright, wide even beam of light, and good battery life flashlight to take with me. If those don't make sense, ask and I'll try and clarify. I know little about all the options these days. I used to get by with a 3 cell MagLite for the casual walking about, but that won't work in this application and isn't near bright enough.

Thanks guys, like I said this is a real need and I hope you can help

4 253
 12-11-2012, 12:40 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
John, after reading this I went on Amazon and was amazed at the variety of flashlights. Tactical flashlights seem to be incredibly bright (too bright?) but also on the expensive side. Also, some of the reviews on these lights claim that they only get a couple of hours of battery life. Here is just one that I saw on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88040-...roduct_top. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help and good luck in your search.

2 11,211
 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi John

If you haven't, take a look at Fenix flashlights, even the ones designed to hang on a keyring are impressive and functional...

Good luck.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I,m kind of a flashlight expert (by testing and buying)and the BEST value,brightness,size and price goes to FENIX E11 ...can be had under $30.00,uses 1 AA battery and has 2 brightness levels. As well is only 3 3/4 inches long and 5/8 in diameter. Got this a R.E.I. Most others are more expensive,bigger and use 3 Volt Lithium batteries .After buying this I,m done. They have a site but can be bought in various places.Idea

6 1,913
 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM
User Info
I've had a Sure Fire 9Z flashlight for many years, used and abused on many hunting trips, and it is great. Extremely bright. Here's a brief review:
http://www.indyscan.com/?p=1168

A Google search will show you where they're sold, including the Bay. They're definitely not cheap, but they're worth the cost.

183 12,002
 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM
User Info
No doubt about it, as others have said as well....get a FENIX.

we have about 6 in our house right now and with my 2013 plan on the shaving sabbatical, I will likely add more (already have my eye ojn a couple).

they are all rock solid and throw a hicked beam mosst run on Eneloop AA or AAA rechargeables and come usually come with free shipping and lifetime warrant if you buy thru their online authorized dealers (which I always do). standard sized batteris are a HUGE plus for me. with camping a regular activity in my summer, I don't like having to stock up on CR123 batteries etc, so an 8 pk of Eneloop rechargeaables, charged and ready to go is my choice.

the TK20 and LD20 are my go-to lights for 2 AA size in my lineup

8 2,718
 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM
User Info
Thanks guys! I'm going to go take a look at some of those suggested. I like the price mentioned above for the Fenix, as I cant afford a big budget light.

I read somewhere else about using a 14500 3.7volt AA battery in place of regular AA to overclock the light output. Any of you guys try anything like this?

4 253
 12-11-2012, 01:50 PM
User Info
i got a nice fenix last year, and E21, no holster, brand new from Fenix dealer online, free shipping for about $22 and it holds it's own against my $75 lights.

as for overclocking the light etc, i'd stick with using the batteries it calls for, usually AA or CR123.

a good resource and helpful guys over here if you feel like starting a new AD and they even have a BST . http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php

8 2,718
 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM
  • freddy
User Info
John, please let us know what you ultimately get and if you are pleased with it. It could help others here. Thanks. Smile

2 11,211
 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
Thanks Bruce! I definitely like the pricing of the E series right now, especially as my first of this type. Looking at the E25 right now at fenixgear.com. But I'm going to shop around more.
I'll look at that forum but.... I dont want a new AD! Biggrin

I will do that Freddy! I agree it could be helpful, because like you pointed out earlier, its a daunting task to narrow down with all the options out there now!

4 253
 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
User Info
The FENIX flashlights look like they would have a couple which would fit the bill for you.

Check out the TK75 and if that's too bright the E50. Both of these have 4 brightness settings allowing from 1.5 or so hours use to an incredible run time. The TK75's max output is an insane 2600 lumens, while the E50 *only* produces 780 max lumens. The handle on the TK75 is quite short and can be extended to give more grip and longer battery life. The second tube will double the life of the flashlight, three tubes increase that again. Buy some rechargable batteries and you are all set my friend.

129 6,685
 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
User Info
Thats a beast Doug! Very cool, but I can't afford that much light right now.

Hey Bruce, other Fenix guys, another question. As far as beam type, I'm looking for one thats more of a wide flood, and not a spot. Which of these fits that?

4 253
 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
TK41 is next on my wishlist for a camping light, AA's and 860lumens

here is a comparisson shot of mine. 1st three all take 2xAA and the mini takes 1xAAA

not sure which throws a wider beam, but the fenix sits are very good for showing what it throws and tons of youtube videos on them. here is a thread for you and they recommend other lights, but mention a Fenix Tweak to make it a better FLOOD then SPOT: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...-wide-beam

all of them will accept diffusers and attachements and can be tweaked (i never do though). mine come from here, as they are in canada and ship free with no duty: http://www.fenixtactical.com/, but the use stores are similar (free shipping) http://www.fenix-store.com/

they make some adjustable ones, but all of mine are fixed focus, so high, med, low etc, no adjustment knobs to go in between settings. i wanted to get away from dials like that, and prefer them this way, just push on and off etc. the tactical On/Off is a nice choice in a flashlight as it lets you keep it OFF, but use a momentary ON to quickly check on something if needed, without fully turning it on then back off...comes in very handy.

Attached Files Image(s)

8 2,718
 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Ultrafire C8 XML-T6's are light, small, and very bright. I just sold a ton of them to people at work. They can be had on ebay for about $15

9 408
 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Wow, I can use a flash light in the mines or when I go camping.

So thanks for the info.

I am going get one of those FENIX Lights

1 819
 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
User Info
Surefire is another well respected brand and get's a ton of positive reviews. but the use of specialty batteries (non AA/AAA) puts them 2nd to Fenix in my book.

careful here guys...Flashlights can be addictive like Fountain Pens...buy one, then another then you have a drawer full. Blush

8 2,718
 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Bruce, I have to say that you have really opened my eyes when it comes to flashlights! Though I should have known better, I never dreamed there was a forum dedicated to them. It was like looking at TSN for flashlights and I was fascinated. Thanks for the heads-up. Thumbsup

John, it looks as if you have received a lot of great information in a short amount of time. Smile

2 11,211
 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM
User Info
(12-11-2012, 03:24 PM)freddy Wrote: Bruce, I have to say that you have really opened my eyes when it comes to flashlights! Though I should have known better, I never dreamed there was a forum dedicated to them. It was like looking at TSN for flashlights and I was fascinated. Thanks for the heads-up. Thumbsup

John, it looks as if you have received a lot of great information in a short amount of time. Smile

i got a ton of help from them when i 1st was looking for a torch (lingo) a few years ago for my wife. they directed me to a few and were bang on. i don't post much over there, but when i need to make a purchase or do some research, that is where i head and they have amazing reviews and insight into stuff most of us would not even think of.

i was a member on there way before i even know about wet shaving or shaving forums Blush

8 2,718
 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
User Info
For sure Freddy! I appreciate it all!

I'm liking the Fenix E21 right now. I found a thread at that flashlight forum and it has me looking to compare it to the LD20 and a Quark or a Jetbeam...

Damn this is hard.... But its much easier now, thanks Bruce, guys!

4 253
 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM
User Info
nothing wrong with the E1 at all. it's a no frills flashlight, super bright, sturdy, nice lanyard, has the momentary on/off and will likely get your hooked on flashlights.

if you can find one, you have my vote to pull the trigger.

had i known how good it was when i got mine on that crazy deal/sale, i likely would have gotten a few of them as gifts and to leave in the trailer.

even though i have ones that throw a stronger beam and have more settings with strobe/sos etc, the E21 is one that probably gets the most use around here. the reason is, it didn't break the bank, if the kids drop it, it's no big deal and it's easy to operate.

sorry for sounding like a FENIX commercial but i'm a side "lumen nerd" and feel they are that good and i know you can get cheaper ones at Cabelas or costco, but i've seen and tried them 1st hand and they don't hold a candle (pun intended Tongue) to the Fenix lights...at least the ones i own and have tried

8 2,718