Poll: Gillette Black or Blue blade?
 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I was curious if the majority favor the Gillette 7'O clock Black or Blue blades? I like both and their two of my favorites but I prefer the Black. I think they are slightly sharper and smoother.

45 3,955
 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Black is sharper but Blue is smoother, can't pick Biggrin

88 4,233
 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I shaved with a DE, the Blue was my blade of choice.

173 23,546
 12-12-2012, 02:14 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I can't pick one either. I agree that the blue is smoother but the difference is barely discernible in most of the razors that I own.
Sometimes I think that they are equally sharp and other times not.
Indecision yes but I do know that they are two of my favorite blades. Smile

6 905
 12-12-2012, 03:07 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(12-11-2012, 08:37 PM)beartrap Wrote: Black is sharper but Blue is smoother, can't pick Biggrin

This is exactly the way I feel as well.

116 3,804
 12-12-2012, 04:32 AM
User Info
When I used them, I thought the black lasted almost twice as long and was sharper. The blue was slightly smoother for me.

I voted for black.

47 1,270
 12-12-2012, 04:35 AM
User Info
That was pretty tough, but went with the blue

31 1,800
 12-12-2012, 05:50 AM
User Info
I am in general agreement with the previous comments regarding the relative sharpness and smoothness of each. Both blades are top performers and are in my rotation.

0 3,341
 12-12-2012, 07:01 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Black has the edge in sharpness and overall a better shaving experience. Blue is nearly identical less sharp.

1 3,507
 12-12-2012, 07:12 AM
User Info
The Blue is smooth as butter on my face, and with my particular stubble sharpness is not quite an issue for me. I vote Blue.

0 252
 12-12-2012, 07:31 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Now to add to this discussion if I may; I've read that the Blues can come from the Russian factory or from a Czech factory.

Has anyone noticed that and if so, is there a difference in the blade performance at all?

6 905
 12-13-2012, 03:31 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(12-12-2012, 07:31 AM)EHV Wrote: Now to add to this discussion if I may; I've read that the Blues can come from the Russian factory or from a Czech factory.

Has anyone noticed that and if so, is there a difference in the blade performance at all?

From my understanding, the blues haven't been produced at the Czech factory since 2009 or so. There may still be some floating around based on distributors moving stock, etc, but then again, you can still find NOS P74's on ebay from time to time. I imagine the blades are made to the same specs at PPI as they were made at the Czech plant, just as is the case with the SIs

9 541
 12-13-2012, 04:48 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks very much! I appreciate that info and it likely explains why none of the 200 or so total, Blue blades that I've purchased from multiple sources within the last 6 months are Czech. They are all Russian.

I assume that if there were a positive perceptible difference in the Czech and Russian Blue blades, we'd see a run for the "old Czech's" like we do with any discontinued products which are "always better". Tongue (Of course, sometimes they just are!)

(12-13-2012, 03:31 AM)GreekGuy Wrote:
(12-12-2012, 07:31 AM)EHV Wrote: Now to add to this discussion if I may; I've read that the Blues can come from the Russian factory or from a Czech factory.

From my understanding, the blues haven't been produced at the Czech factory since 2009 or so. There may still be some floating around based on distributors moving stock, etc, but then again, you can still find NOS P74's on ebay from time to time. I imagine the blades are made to the same specs at PPI as they were made at the Czech plant, just as is the case with the SIs

6 905
 12-13-2012, 04:55 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
My pleasure! I'll be the first to admit that sometimes we can be a finicky bunch. Packaging changes, formulas are changed, and then the hoarding and nostalgic reminiscing ensues. But I think this is one case where it just isn't necessary, everything is just as it used to be Smile

Since we are on the subject of Czech blades, I find it very interesting that the Silver Blues, which were relatively hard to find and unheard of a couple years ago, have suddenly popped up all over the place in seemingly endless supply. It makes me wonder if the "blue box platinum" will be turning up again. The SIs were rumored to be discontinued at around the same time as production from Czech and Lodz moved to PPI, but as we all know now, they were never actually discontinued. One can only hope that these blades will continue to be made in Russia and will start showing up through the usual channels

(12-13-2012, 04:48 AM)EHV Wrote: Thanks very much! I appreciate that info and it likely explains why none of the 200 or so total, Blue blades that I've purchased from multiple sources within the last 6 months are Czech. They are all Russian.

I assume that if there were a positive perceptible difference in the Czech and Russian Blue blades, we'd see a run for the "old Czech's" like we do with any discontinued products which are "always better". Tongue (Of course, sometimes they just are!)

(12-13-2012, 03:31 AM)GreekGuy Wrote:

9 541
 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM
User Info
Blues are smoother on my face; I never get the blues when using the Blues (heh!). The blacks may indeed be a tad sharper, but smoothness is king for me.

15 316