12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I don't know how things may be in other households, but my shaving journey has been interesting in terms of my wife's reactions and comments over time. Her responses have varied: surprise, indifference, bewilderment, ridicule, puzzlement, encouragement, acceptance.

We have young children, and have been organizing holiday gifts based on their requests and lists. Many of the items are being ordered online ... and numerous boxes are expected over the next several days. Today, I asked my wife how she would explain the multitude of boxes to the boys if they get curious/suspicious. Her response "I'll just tell them Dad ordered a bunch of shaving stuff for himself ... again. They won't question that!"

I'm happy she is now accepting and supportive of my 'habit'! Smile

102 17,662
 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
She knows you so well! Laughing1

2 11,211
 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
No support here from my SWMBO!

Some resignation to acceptance punctuated by remarks along the lines of:

"I can't believe you spend so much time looking at such boring things..."

"Surely you have enough brushes..."

"Another package..."

"Are you really going to use all that stuff..."

91 17,811
 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM
User Info
Hee hee! Great one, Ravi!

Ben, i empathize for you, my friend!

Man, am i lucky! No comments at all, but she absolutely adores my photos, now!! Hee hee.

75 20,883
 12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
User Info
Well, seeing as how it was my Better Half who suggested that I look into traditional wetshaving in the first place, she can't really say much...

She enjoys that I enjoys myself, and she really like that I don't have a face that looks like a battlefield no more. All I have to do is to pick up some bathsoaps now and then when I order from soap makers and not spend too much money. Win-win, really Biggrin

3 3,558
 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM
User Info
My wife's enjoyment of the results appears to outweigh her occasional exasperation, so I do okay.

9 166
 12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing this Ravi. I showed my wife & she lost it. Very funny & so true for many of us.

31 7,912
 12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
User Info
(12-11-2012, 09:40 PM)ben74 Wrote: "I can't believe you spend so much time looking at such boring things..."

"Surely you have enough brushes..."

"Another package..."

"Are you really going to use all that stuff..."

I'm kind of curious about the last one too. BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

9 2,988
 12-12-2012, 01:14 AM
User Info
My wife can't believe that I spend so much time obsessing over shaving stuff.

0 156
 12-12-2012, 01:22 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Guys a little help on how to deal with your SWMBO when she starts asking questions again;

My girlfriend couldn't believe I had a growing stack of products, brushes and razors. So here is what I did;

I gave her a brush, a cream, a DE and some blades. Learned her how to prepare lather, load a blade, shave with a DE.
She doesn't want anything else now and quite often I catch her sniffing at my creams and soaps. When I catch her she tells me, with a very cute smile; I'm just looking which one to try next.

Kind of the other way around. Although I'll have to watch her not taking over my den Biggrin

5 447
 12-12-2012, 01:39 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The biggest protest I get is actually from my daughter, she screams every time I pick up a razor! I guess she associates my shaving with me going to work. Neither my wife or daughter are fans of my employment.

My wife more enjoys a days growth on my face than it being smooth and clean shaven. She takes delight in the tickling sensation it provides when I kiss her neck!

When backed in to a corner with questions about my hoarding I impress upon my wife that the outgoing products have been far outnumbering the incoming for some time now... It doesn't work so I start reminding her how many LV handbags she owns; and her reply: "Well you're the one who buys them for me!"

I also tried to introduce her to DE shaving. I purchased her a beautiful NIB gold Aristocrat and a pink swirl LE Rooney 3/1 in 3 band super, but she just wasn't interested...

91 17,811
 12-12-2012, 06:52 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
My wife is glad I found a hobby like this to occupy my time. She is always excited to see the new stuff I got and test smell it.

45 3,955
 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM
User Info
My wife has, fortunately, been very supportive and at times she can be my biggest enabler. She has not always been happy with my choice of scents, but there are many we can agree upon.

5 938
 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
User Info
I don't buy much so that's not a problem but she's always impatient in the mornings

"Why do you have to rub that on your face for so long? Why are you shaving if you just shaved 2 seconds ago?"

0 120
 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
My wife became a accustomed to my other hobby fountain pens and ink.
The addition of shaving products was not objected to.

My wife is very supportive of both hobbies. The key is to explain to what I'm buying and the cost. Money in our house is always tight.

1 3,507