12-11-2012, 10:08 PM
User Info
Does anyone use both alum and witch hazel? I used to use alum and then switched to witch hazel but I am starting to feel like I am missing a step. Is there any benefit to using both or would I be just adding an unnecessary step to my routine? Thanks

0 156
 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM
User Info
I use Thayer's unscented witch hazel with aloe after every shave, before applying splash aftershave or balm, because of its soothing and conditioning properties. I only use an alum (styptic) pencil on the occasional bleeding nick spot, when I haven't been focused or careful enough.

184 12,002
 12-12-2012, 01:22 AM
User Info
I used to use both, but now only use Dickenson's WH. I thought the alum was too much so I stopped and have been happy with just the WH.

9 1,199
 12-12-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
I tend to alternate between the alum and witch hazel. It depend on what type of AS I use that day. If I use a splash I'll use the witch hazel; if it's a balm I'll go with the alum.

Not sure why I started doing it that way, but that's what feels right to me.

10 2,062
 12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
User Info
(12-11-2012, 10:31 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I use Thayer's unscented witch hazel with aloe after every shave, before applying splash aftershave or balm, because of its soothing and conditioning properties. I only use an alum (styptic) pencil on the occasional bleeding nick spot, when I haven't been focused or careful enough.

+1

75 20,883
 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-11-2012, 10:08 PM)Fourcooks Wrote: Does anyone use both alum and witch hazel? I used to use alum and then switched to witch hazel but I am starting to feel like I am missing a step. Is there any benefit to using both or would I be just adding an unnecessary step to my routine?

Hi

You may wish to have a read through this thread...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
The Thread is a good one ...

I use both.

•Rinse face with warm water to wash off the soap.
•Then re-rinse face with cold water to close the pours.
•Gently rub Alum block over freshly shaved face.
•Clean up scuttle, brush & razor and put away shaving stuff.
•Rinse face again with cold water, don't want to leave the properties of the Alum block sitting on (my) skin.
•Very lightly pat down freshly shaved face.
•Apply Witch Hazel/Alcohol mix with cotton pad. (Store Bought Witch Hazel & Alcohol. I add the alcohol to increase the alcohol content of the Witch Hazel (which is about 14%))
• let dry
• Add Shaving Moisturing Balm
• let dry
• apply aftershave/cologne (usually contains alcohol).

Witch Hazel - 100% pure it is a topical astringent but, with 14% alochol it is more like an aftershave/toner or a facial cleanser.

Alum Block - stops bleeding of small nicks and cuts, an astringent, has antiseptic properties (If you have dry or sensitive skin you probably should not use it.)(Works like Witch Hazel.)

It maybe overkill but, it works for me.

1 819
 12-12-2012, 06:05 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have always used both. Cold water rinse, alum, cleanup my gear, cold water rinse, dry face, Thayers witch hazel (have with and w/o alcohol), finish cleanup, aftershave balm or splash.

16 542
 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM
User Info
This is exactly how I roll as well.

(12-12-2012, 06:05 PM)matloffm Wrote: I have always used both. Cold water rinse, alum, cleanup my gear, cold water rinse, dry face, Thayers witch hazel (have with and w/o alcohol), finish cleanup, aftershave balm or splash.

0 1
 12-14-2012, 03:14 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(12-12-2012, 03:35 PM)Grumpy Wrote: The Thread is a good one ...

I use both.

•Rinse face with warm water to wash off the soap.
•Then re-rinse face with cold water to close the pours.
•Gently rub Alum block over freshly shaved face.
•Clean up scuttle, brush & razor and put away shaving stuff.
•Rinse face again with cold water, don't want to leave the properties of the Alum block sitting on (my) skin.
•Very lightly pat down freshly shaved face.
•Apply Witch Hazel/Alcohol mix with cotton pad. (Store Bought Witch Hazel & Alcohol. I add the alcohol to increase the alcohol content of the Witch Hazel (which is about 14%))
• let dry
• Add Shaving Moisturing Balm
• let dry
• apply aftershave/cologne (usually contains alcohol).

This is exactly what I do.. step by step... Though I don't add alcohol.

33 914
 12-16-2012, 08:08 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I'm a Dickersons witch hazel kinda guy... Never tried alum. Except in a styptic pencil..

5 1,151
 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
User Info
I use both. The alum goes on goes after a cold water rinse. I keep the alum on while I do my post shave routine an cleanup, then I use the witch hazel.

37 2,945
 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:
Alum is the rock of life. It's unthinkable for me to imagine a shave without it. Warm water rinse followed by cold. The alum goes on next. I don't rinse it off; rather keep it on. Sometimes Thayers Super Medicated Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera follows, sometimes not. Aftershave balm comes next and then the aftershave splash. Then life is sweet. Alum is a must.

132 2,614
 12-20-2012, 03:54 AM
User Info
(12-19-2012, 04:03 PM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen:
Alum is the rock of life. It's unthinkable for me to imagine a shave without it. Warm water rinse followed by cold. The alum goes on next. I don't rinse it off; rather keep it on. Sometimes Thayers Super Medicated Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera follows, sometimes not. Aftershave balm comes next and then the aftershave splash. Then life is sweet. Alum is a must.

I do exactly as Obie except I skip the balm. I use Thayer's with aloe or Humphrey's pure Witch Hazel without alcohol.

2 202
 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
I apply alum (the cheap Indian Grocery variety...$1.30 and works as well as the RazoRock I used before) after a warm water rinse and leave it on while I clean my brush, bowl, etc. Rinse it off with cold water, lightly pat my face sort of dry then spray on about a 60/40 mix of cheap Walmart WH and Clubman vanilla. About 10 sprays from my little plastic bottle covers my face and neck and I rub that in. The clubman vanilla hides the stinky WH scent, and the WH mutes the clubman to a point that by the end of the day it's barely noticeable...but still there. it also removes the alcohol sting.

After the Wh dries I usually apply some sort of balm to help with dryness, either Nivea or RR Cumba Cheech

0 120
 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I have both and use them depending on how my shave went. If I have any nicks, cuts, or weepers, I'll get my face wet and smoothly rub Bloc Osma over everything, and then use Witch Hazel followed by ASB.
Sometimes just Witch Hazel followed by ASB.
If I had a smooth shave with no nicks, I'll just use the ASB.

For me, the alum block is the heavy artillery to stanch any bleeding Smile

52 786