12-12-2012, 03:32 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I have a 50/50 split between boar and badger. I do love the boar brushes for sure as I enjoy the break-in process. The metamorphasis is pretty apparent and it's obvious when the brush is ready to go.

But I have three new badger.. All two bands.

I've never considered a break-in process for the badger brushes though, I just clean and go. I was reading Teiste's post on the Rooney Heritage 2XL (just bought one from Shanman for my 50th B-Day present, thank you Jeff!) and a few folks mention breaking the badger in. Do you? If so, how and what is the telltale that the badger hair has peaked?

33 914
 12-12-2012, 04:23 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
As far as I'm concerned once your badger has bloomed for the first time - it's broken in!

Boars soften as the hairs split and break this is not the process with badger.

91 17,795
 12-12-2012, 06:58 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I noticed my Shavemac TSN LE 2-Band has had a break in period similar to a boar brush. Just like new boars it does not make or hold lather very well. It's been getting better every shave. This is the only badger I have had thats had a break in.

45 3,955
 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
And this is what happened to me with a SOC 2 Band!

Every other badger brush that I have owned, 2 or 3 band has always seemed like it hasn't required any break in just as Ben mentions above but the SOC 2 Band took several lathers before it would hold and then let go of the lather properly. ????
I could have sworn that it was a boar brush initially......

(12-12-2012, 06:58 AM)tgutc Wrote: I noticed my Shavemac TSN LE 2-Band has had a break in period similar to a boar brush. Just like new boars it does not make or hold lather very well. It's been getting better every shave. This is the only badger I have had thats had a break in.

6 905
 12-12-2012, 07:27 AM
User Info
Please take note that this is one that is not broken in.

[Image: JQOIF00Z.jpg]

(12-12-2012, 04:23 AM)ben74 Wrote: As far as I'm concerned once your badger has bloomed for the first time - it's broken in!

Boars soften as the hairs split and break this is not the process with badger.

What I will do is give it a good shampoo in MAC Cleaner before trying to break it in to get any residues and funk out of the brush. As Ben stated once it blooms it is broken in. It may continue to bloom a little while and get better but it wont be a major change like boar does as the hairs split.

1 2,827
 12-12-2012, 07:32 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
In my experience, badgers have the shortest 'breaking in' period when compared to other types of brushes ... when the badger funk is gone after a few test lathers and uses, that is usually correlated with proper bloom and softness of the tips.

102 17,661
 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My SOC 2-band had a definite break-in period. The tips didn't split or anything, but they definitely got softer.

On the other hand, my TGN super silvertip was very soft right from the start.

10 1,858
 12-12-2012, 08:39 AM
User Info
(12-12-2012, 07:24 AM)EHV Wrote: And this is what happened to me with a SOC 2 Band!

Every other badger brush that I have owned, 2 or 3 band has always seemed like it hasn't required any break in just as Ben mentions above but the SOC 2 Band took several lathers before it would hold and then let go of the lather properly. ????
I could have sworn that it was a boar brush initially......

(12-12-2012, 06:58 AM)tgutc Wrote: I noticed my Shavemac TSN LE 2-Band has had a break in period similar to a boar brush. Just like new boars it does not make or hold lather very well. It's been getting better every shave. This is the only badger I have had thats had a break in.
(12-12-2012, 08:33 AM)Songwind Wrote: My SOC 2-band had a definite break-in period.

Agreed.

Both my Shavemac D01 2-Bands and both my Semogue 2-Bands definitely needed a break in period of 5-10 shaves/palm latherings and after that they felt softer, had better flow through and just became better brushes.

All my other badger brushes worked well from the get go, only getting minimally better after maybe 3-4 shaves. But the D01 2-Band and Semogue 2-Band definitely improved with usage.....

22 5,043
 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
User Info
I think Teiste has a good video around here somewhere that says to just palm lather some pre-shave soap or something similar 5-10 times before using it for a shave.

40 5,830
 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I find that some two band badger brushes hairs , like the ones from shavemac , Vie Long and TGN , needs some break in period.The same with some 3 band badger hair brushes , like D01 silvertip.I follow what Andrew have explained in the previous post , both with boar and badger brushes and I should make a video on English showing my "method" (if I can call it method).

86 7,123
 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
(12-12-2012, 10:39 AM)Teiste Wrote: I find that some two band badger brushes hairs , like the ones from shavemac , Vie Long and TGN , needs some break in period.The same with some 3 band badger hair brushes , like D01 silvertip.I follow what Andrew have explained in the previous post , both with boar and badger brushes and I should make a video on English showing my "method" (if I can call it method).

don't you already have a video for this?

40 5,830
 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-12-2012, 12:35 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(12-12-2012, 10:39 AM)Teiste Wrote: I find that some two band badger brushes hairs , like the ones from shavemac , Vie Long and TGN , needs some break in period.The same with some 3 band badger hair brushes , like D01 silvertip.I follow what Andrew have explained in the previous post , both with boar and badger brushes and I should make a video on English showing my "method" (if I can call it method).

don't you already have a video for this?

I do , but its the language of angels , Im afraid. RolleyesTongue

86 7,123
 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM
User Info
Some of the denser, scrubbier badger brushes I've used softened and relaxed after a couple weeks of use. I suppose I think that constitutes a breaking in.

47 1,270
 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
My M&F def had a break in period.

My first time using it I PM'd Bruce and Boris (Edgerunner) telling them how much I hated it. I was so disappointed.

After giving it a half dozen lather cycles followed by a good shampoo and conditioning, she softened right up and has been wonderful ever since. Matter of fact, I think it gets better every time I reach for it, and I'm thankful that in my initial heartbreak I didn't sell it.

13 599
 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Thanks all...

I have made it a habit to palm lather just about every brush I've owned.. one, maybe five times before going to a shave. Just to get a bead on how it performs. So, unknowingly, I have taken each through a break-in process.

The boars are blatantly obvious in their before, during and after states, but I haven't paid close enough attention to the badgers. maybe I should keep a new brush in a longer cycle for it's first week or two.

From what I've read about the Heritage 2XL, I may want to do just that anyway!!

Teiste.. That video would be awesome!

33 914
 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
My Manchurian took many cycles to break in. Either my face got tougher or the hairs got softer. Since I don't think my face got tougher....

9 2,988
 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
User Info
(12-12-2012, 02:23 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: My Manchurian took many cycles to break in. Either my face got tougher or the hairs got softer. Since I don't think my face got tougher....

I think the current batch of Manchurian Mark has, is a bit softer than the old stock.
My two Manchurians from Simpsons felt really soft from first shave.
Almost as soft as my 2-Bands from Simpsons, that are even softer at the tips compared to Manchurians - both hair type has awesome backbone.

I also forgot to mention, that again I agree with Teiste - my Vie Long 2 band, even though I got one in 24 mm bulb with a 54 mm loft, still did get better after the third shave, but it was already pretty soft from the first shave.

But I think that Vie Long 2-Band hair is also a bit softer in the current 2012 batch than what they had in 2010/2011......

Vie Long brushes may just be the best overall value brush on the entire market currently.......Shavemac Finest hair on par with the Vie Long 2-Band though.....

22 5,043