12-12-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
I found this handle maker unexpectedly when he PM'd me for a BST sale I had running. I wasn't looking for a razor handle, but we worked out a deal and now I am a new proud owner! As I have not seen his work at all over here at The Nook, it is my pleasure to introduce it to you!

I will start by saying that this is my first handmade, aftermarket, stainless steel razor handle so my basis for comparison is limited to large production models. Take that for what it's worth. Also, my picture taking skills and equipment are no Teiste, so I apologize in advance! Biggrin

The GS1 stainless steel razor handle from Griest Shaving which can be found online here for $37 shipped CONUS: http://griestshaving.weebly.com/.
The owners name is Justin Griest and he is a member here, jgriest03, though his activity has been rather limited. He has a small site that sells his GS1 handles as well as a couple Wet Shaving Starter Kits that feature vintage Gillette razors and restored brushes. But we're interested in the handles. Here is a picture:

[attachment=9203]

The design is a bit different than what we usually see. It's a simple design, and it does not have knurling at the end like many others. This bare end is what really sets it's design apart. The knurling in the grip section is also simple, but it is nicely distinct and grippy. The finish is a matte steel finish and not highly polished.

[attachment=9204]

This razor handle, to me, is nice and heavy! I weighed it in at a smidge under 3oz. The site says they weigh 80g. It feels like a solid hunk of steel in your hand. It is listed as 3.5in. long and 0.5in dia. and crafted from Marine Grade 316 Stainless Steel. Taken from Greist Shavings description: "The handle is well built and exceptionally balanced. The extra weight of the handle will turn your existing razor head into a beard mowing machine. The M5x0.8 threads should fit most razor heads new and old." It fit perfectly on my R41 head, tightened up snug and easily. Here it is with my R41 head:

[attachment=9205]

The shave with this razor handle was much different than what I've been used to. First, noticeably heavier which definitely requires one to watch that pressure. It feels good in the hand, and provided a good grip even under wet soapy conditions. Also, I didnt feel that the lack of knurling at the end hurt the grip in anyway, and the grip was comfortable.

[attachment=9206]

In conclusion, this is a fine crafted peice of steel that is unique in design and provides for a good shaving experience. Well made and in my opinion well priced at $37 shipped. I'd recommend looking Justin up and perhaps giving one of his GS1 handles a try.

4 253
 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Thanks for posting this. I had looked at those...and then forgot about them. Looks to be a well made handle at a great price, I will need to pick one up.

29 466
 12-12-2012, 10:47 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Not a bad looking handle, not bad at all! I will look into it. Thanks John!

88 4,233
 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi John

Thank you for the review and Justin's site has been bookmarked for future reference Thumbsup

$37 shipped is a pretty decent price, fingers-crossed he will start making, offering, slightly longer handles...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Very nice looking handle. His site says new products coming soon. I think I will wait to see what they are. Thanks for the posting.

100 12,437
 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM
User Info
Thanks guys!

Mike and Jerry, I read somewhere on B&B that he has a new handle almost ready. It's supposed to be a replica of a vintage Gillette New I think. Doubtfully bigger, but could be pretty cool.

4 253
 12-12-2012, 01:04 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(12-12-2012, 01:01 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: Thanks guys!

Mike and Jerry, I read somewhere on B&B that he has a new handle almost ready. It's supposed to be a replica of a vintage Gillette New I think. Doubtfully bigger, but could be pretty cool.

You got love the stainlessShaving

100 12,437
 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing your review!
Cool

9 1,684
 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for posting the review and photos John!
It's wonderful that we have such variety these days in terms of stainless steel options ... at reasonable prices too.

102 17,662
 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Looks interesting...I ordered one as well.Cool

6 1,913
 12-12-2012, 07:02 PM
User Info
(12-12-2012, 03:20 PM)Agravic Wrote: Thanks for posting the review and photos John!
It's wonderful that we have such variety these days in terms of stainless steel options ... at reasonable prices too.

You're welcome! Biggrin I totally agree about the stainless options. I was always a little skeptical whether or not it'd be noticably different or just another razor. Owning this handle definitely showed me that it is!

(12-12-2012, 03:55 PM)Harvey Wrote: Looks interesting...I ordered one as well.Cool

Congrats Harvey! I hope it serves you well!

4 253
 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM
User Info
John, thanks for the review. I appreciate you taking the time to do the write up and glad you like the handle.

I have a new design coming out in a few weeks, its my take on the original NEW Bar handle, it will be 3 in long and quite a bit heavier. There were quite a few fellows looking for a heftier 3 in. handle so this design worked well in that length.

I promise the next design will be 4 in. long. I might be saying too much but think along the lines of original Gillette Bulldog style in stainless steel and 4 in. long.

4 32
 12-12-2012, 08:29 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Beautiful handle. Thanks for the review!

I will be watching his site and am sure I'll own one of these anon.

52 785
 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM
User Info
Thanks Justin! Glad to do it!

I can't wait to see your new designs coming. I really like the sound of the Bulldog handle, as those are really neat looking.

Please keep The Nook updated!

4 253
 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
This is one fine handle...even stands on end because the tip is perfectly flat. Amazing knurling,perfect hand swell and incredibly cool looking....price can,t be beat and perfect weight. Wow and even more new models coming...we are getting great selection of fine American made products this year...Oh Happy Day!!!!SmileThumbup

6 1,913
 12-15-2012, 05:22 PM
User Info
Very nice, I am going to keep an eye out for the upcoming models.

47 1,270
 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM
User Info
Glad to hear you're happy with it Harvey! It's always nice to turn someone onto something the really like. Enjoy it!

Just curious, what razor/s heads are you going to pair it with?

4 253
 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(12-15-2012, 05:26 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: Glad to hear you're happy with it Harvey! It's always nice to turn someone onto something the really like. Enjoy it!

Just curious, what razor/s heads are you going to pair it with?

So far it is on my Weber ARC and I think I might try it on my R41 and move it around...seems to fit on everything...It is really nice.

6 1,913
 12-27-2012, 02:49 PM
User Info
A quick update for those awaiting the NEW 3in Bar Handle Remake, I went to pick up the handles today and unfortunately the lathe operator forgot to turn the radius on the top where the handle attaches to the head! So the handles are being turned again and should be ready in a few more weeks! Sorry for the delay and I will update again once the handles are completely ready.

4 32
 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Justin advises that there are possible plans to make a 3 piece head that would be more aggressive then the Weber but less aggressive then the R41. It would be really great to see another complete stainless steel razor made in the USA.
Good luck Justin on that project.

100 12,437