12-12-2012, 01:12 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
What is the difference between super silvertip and two band?

100 12,439
 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
Which manufacturer? Each manufacturer assigns different names to the same hair grade.

There is absolutely no uniformity (in names) whatsoever among hog badger hair.

9 2,988
 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM
User Info
Appears to be a Simsons query.

If so, the super will be softer than the 2band but splay more.

The 2 band is a minuscule less soft but has a better backbone and splays minimally.

0 193
 12-13-2012, 07:05 AM
User Info
(12-12-2012, 01:12 PM)slantman Wrote: What is the difference between super silvertip and two band?

But a Super Silvertip often IS a 2-Band Huh

A 2-Band brush is often called, named and referred to as 2-Band Super or 2-Band Silvertip.

Only company I know of that emphasizes the difference is Vie Long, that clearly states that their 3-Band Silvertip is a more refined type of badger hair than their thicker 2-Band.

For instance Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip is the most expensive type of hair in the Shavemac range, 25% more expensive than the regular 3-Band Silvertip and 15% more expensive than the D01 3-Band Silvertip

You will have to more specific before your question can be answered Smile

Simpson 2-Band Super is also more expensive than Simpson regular 3-Band Super, only Manchurian 2-Band is marginally more expensive than Simpson 2-Band - both hair types being 2-Band, but neither Silvertips Lightbulb

Confused Wink

It took me half a year to understand all this.......Biggrin

22 5,053
 12-13-2012, 07:11 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
As mentioned, there is no standard among manufacturers.

GENERALLY speaking, 2-band has more backbone, and can have soft tips but not always so. Super is almost always 3-banded with less backbone and softer tips. 2-bands can be scrubby, which people can mistake for having scritchy tips, which is not the same thing.

In a nutshell, super silvertip (when not explicitly mentioned as 2-band) is soft with less backbone. 2-band has more backbone and can have soft or scritchy tips depending on the maker

9 541
 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
There is no standard terminology in the use of trade names, no. But there is a language and terminology the hair dealers use. Not sure if anyone outside of the people who deal with those people actually speak that trade language though.

Even dealing with the sellers in China they call things: Silvertip, Best, Pure, Mixed, Black, & Finest. And of course Finest can be split into four standard grades. Silvertip can be split into 4 different grades. Best can be split into 3. There's even another grade called "other badger".

Pure, mixed, and black are the only true universal grades across every manufacturer. While some mixed may be called pure (Tweezerman & Escali), pretty much everyone refers to the same hair otherwise.

9 2,988
 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you guys for trying to address my question. I realize now that the reputation of the manufacturer is my best guide although it does get a bit confusing. Its obvious that China and Europe are the quality leaders when it comes to badger.

100 12,439