12-12-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
Had one almost a year ago, started out liking it, tried using it every day and after 4 days my face was bleeding without being cut, and sore. Got rid of it and moved on to the Cobra. Spent a few months lashing out at the Toothcomb R41, got over it, enjoyed my other razors a lot. The other day I had an urge to give it another try. It's a handsome razor with a very large handle, compared to the standard handle. I'm not going to use it every day, but will use it in a regular rotation with the others, and see how it does after a time. Today's maiden shave with a new Personna HU blade was very close and smooth, but I definitely remember the almost harsh feel of the blade passing over the skin with zero pressure. It's such a classy razor I hope it'll have better luck this time around. I want it to work out well, so it can make a home for itself alongside the Cobra, the Barbasol, and the straight razors I like to use. There was a new Derby blade in the box with it, so I'll give it a try next time to see if there's much difference as a result of the blade.

24 1,150
 12-12-2012, 08:32 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I've found the R41 works best for me with a very, very small amount of pressure. As soon as I treat it like my Cobra, Joris, wide open Futur, I get weepers. When I shave with intentional "softness", my shaves have been exceptionally good and exceedingly close.

Problem is...if I daydream or go on "auto-pilot" for even a few seconds, and resort back to my normal pressures, I pay the price fairly quickly.

If nothing else, the R41 forces you to pay attention - but it will reward you with a shave that's very hard to beat for a DE.

The Cobra still destroys it though for an all-around razor...but that's just me. I think my Barbasol Floating Head is a better all-around tool as well, but those are a bit harder to come by these days.

29 466
 12-12-2012, 08:51 PM
User Info
Gary, you know I like my R41, I wish the same for you.

32 6,309
 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have that same Love/Hate relationship with the R41

1 819
 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I really like my grande. I get very smooth shaves from it. NO issues at all. Ive used Wilkinson swords, Feathers, Polsilvers, Treet Classic, Iridiums. They all perform very well.

1 265
 12-13-2012, 04:54 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Gary, I' glad for your re-found like for the R41. I do like my Grande once in a while and as Tom mentions, I need to use it with a certain "softness" as well as paying complete attention when using it. I gotta say though; pairing it with a Derby has always been the furthest thing from my mind!! Biggrin A true YMMV if it works for you and I hope it does.

I might as well just hit the Red Cross blood drive mobile and shave in there instead of the bathroom with the combo of an R41 and a Derby blade. Tongue

(12-12-2012, 07:55 PM)brothers Wrote: Had one almost a year ago, started out liking it, tried using it every day and after 4 days my face was bleeding without being cut, and sore. Got rid of it and moved on to the Cobra. Spent a few months lashing out at the Toothcomb R41, got over it, enjoyed my other razors a lot. The other day I had an urge to give it another try. It's a handsome razor with a very large handle, compared to the standard handle. I'm not going to use it every day, but will use it in a regular rotation with the others, and see how it does after a time. Today's maiden shave with a new Personna HU blade was very close and smooth, but I definitely remember the almost harsh feel of the blade passing over the skin with zero pressure. It's such a classy razor I hope it'll have better luck this time around. I want it to work out well, so it can make a home for itself alongside the Cobra, the Barbasol, and the straight razors I like to use. There was a new Derby blade in the box with it, so I'll give it a try next time to see if there's much difference as a result of the blade.

6 905
 12-13-2012, 05:06 AM
User Info
This is the only Derby blade I have, and I figured maybe Muhle is trying to tell me something by giving me a blade! I'll give it a try in a couple of days and we'll see what happens.

24 1,150
 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM
User Info
Glad to hear you're giving it another chance Gary. The Mühle R41 Grande is still tops in my DE arsenal. Although my recent acquiring of a Barbasol razor is giving it a real run for the money. The only non-straights I use now on a regular basis are the R41, Cobra and Barbasol. Hard to beat these three.

15 75
 12-16-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
Today was the second shave with the R41 since I got it. Yesterday I added weight to the handle so now the shave ready razor package weighs in at 4.5 ounces. The Derby blade that came with the razor was the one I used today. The next shave will be back to the Personna HU blade I used the first time. The Derby tugged a bit, but was sharp enough to yield a very close and smooth shave with no incidents whatsoever. I paid close attention to the angle of the blade on the skin, and kept the angle small. Took short strokes, and kept my eyes on the razor as it moved about. Great shave.

24 1,150
 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
User Info
4.5 ounces, OH MY!

Glad it's working for you Gary.

32 6,309
 04-28-2013, 02:25 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-28-2013, 01:05 PM)lee Wrote: Just ordered the R41 open comb yesterday. First open comb razor. Paired with a Feather blade, sounds like I'll be in for some fun...

This is a great razor but apply absolutely no pressure. Let the razor do the work you only guide it. I am currently using a Feather.

100 12,440
 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The R41 is a "modified" OC and is a bit more aggressive than the Joris or Fatip...an excellent shaver and is rather unique.(kind of like a SB with combs)

6 1,913
 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM
User Info
(04-28-2013, 04:53 PM)lee Wrote: Thanks Harvey. Think I bit off too much for a first OC? What's your take on the Joris I mentioned

* You will be getting the most aggressive DE razor out there if it is the 2011 version. You might as well try it out and see what you think. If you want a good and moderately aggressive open-comb, then you should consider getting a Gillette Old Type, Single Ring, or the Gillette New long-comb or short-comb.
Good luck with the R41.

75 20,883
 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
So you don,t end up in shaving Hell...go easy..don,t collect too many too quickly...takes a while to "know' the razor....the Joris is a fine shave but might be also loved because it is a work of art (twice the price of the Muhle)...I would use Gillette Blue or Black...not a Feather and especially not a Merkur blade at first.and like everyone says no pressure..just let it glide and you can hear the whiskers being removed.

6 1,913