12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
I am about to order a custom Shavemac handle #25 in Finest. I am thinking of going with a 25mm knot with a 50mm loft. I am pretty versatile with soaps, croaps and creams. I mostly bowl lather with a Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle, but face lather occasionally. I, also, enjoy an uber lather when I have time. I purchased a TSN SE in D01 Silvertip, but wished it were a little bigger brush. Based on what I read, the cost of a D01 does not seem to justify the benefit. I do worry a little about backbone.

My question is: Is this knot/loft right for my style and badger hair? Please advise.

Thank you, so much!

Michael

24 276
 12-14-2012, 11:33 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Michael , I don't have a 25 mm knot with a 50 mm loft finest , but I have the 23 mm knot with 50 mm loft with a hybrid knot , and I can tell you that its perfect to face lathering , and good enough for bowl lathering. Im sure that the 25 mm one would be even better for bowl lathering , due to the more amount of hair.

I think that knot and loft will be fine for both face and bowl lathering , as well as the kind of hair , which is very soft , let me tell you. Now , you need to choose the handle.

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
User Info
(12-14-2012, 11:33 AM)Teiste Wrote: Michael , I don't have a 25 mm knot with a 50 mm loft finest , but I have the 23 mm knot with 50 mm loft with a hybrid knot , and I can tell you that its perfect to face lathering , and good enough for bowl lathering. Im sure that the 25 mm one would be even better for bowl lathering , due to the more amount of hair.

I think that knot and loft will be fine for both face and bowl lathering , as well as the kind of hair , which is very soft , let me tell you. Now , you need to choose the handle.

Thanks Teiste for your expert analysis! The handle I like is #25, the first one from the left on the Shavemac Experts Select page. Reasonable choice?

Claus, do you have any thoughts to share? Thanks!

24 276
 12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The # 25 is a very nice looking handle.
I would recommend you to go for a hybrid knot shape , since the regular bulb ones , are excellent for bowl lathering , but not that excellent for face lathering with circular strokes.
The hybrid is more suitable for both.

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 09:13 PM
User Info
(12-14-2012, 01:57 PM)Teiste Wrote: The # 25 is a very nice looking handle.
I would recommend you to go for a hybrid knot shape , since the regular bulb ones , are excellent for bowl lathering , but not that excellent for face lathering with circular strokes.

I assume the hybrid knot shape is a cross between a bulb and a fan. If I ask for a hybrid knot, will Bernd know what I am asking for? Please advise.

Thanks, so much!

24 276
 12-14-2012, 09:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-14-2012, 09:13 PM)monarch2001 Wrote:
(12-14-2012, 01:57 PM)Teiste Wrote: The # 25 is a very nice looking handle.

I assume the hybrid knot shape is a cross between a bulb and a fan. If I ask for a hybrid knot, will Bernd know what I am asking for? Please advise.

Thanks, so much!

He will , dont worry.This is the brush that I got ,finest badger , 23 mm , 50 mm loft and "hybryd" knot , but I request a fan shaped , so ask for a fan shape.

[Image: P1260040.JPG?m=1354816467]

86 7,123
 12-15-2012, 04:51 AM
User Info
What I find funny about the Finest knots, and what keeps it from taking away from my other brushes is, yes its soft, yes it performs great, but it dumps lather way to fast for me. The flow through is closer to a boar for my liking.

0 652
 12-15-2012, 10:22 PM
User Info
(12-14-2012, 12:57 PM)monarch2001 Wrote:
(12-14-2012, 11:33 AM)Teiste Wrote: Michael , I don't have a 25 mm knot with a 50 mm loft finest , but I have the 23 mm knot with 50 mm loft with a hybrid knot , and I can tell you that its perfect to face lathering , and good enough for bowl lathering. Im sure that the 25 mm one would be even better for bowl lathering , due to the more amount of hair.

Thanks Teiste for your expert analysis! The handle I like is #25, the first one from the left on the Shavemac Experts Select page. Reasonable choice?

Claus, do you have any thoughts to share? Thanks!

Hello Smile

I have very little knowledge and experience with the Finest brushes from Shavemac, sicne I only own one - the Beehive Shavenook in Finest, but have 10-12 other custom Shavemac brushes in the more expensive badger hair quality.
My Finest has been used 2 times, so my knowledge is limited, but I get a sligtly less soft feeling than the regular 3-band Sivlertip but softer than the D01 3-Band Silvertip.

Finest is excellent value for money, and if I wasn't a brush collector, but would only buy maybe 5 brushes and get the best bang for my buck, I would probably own a Simpson Duke 3 in Best, a Thäter 49125/2 2-Band bulb, A Shavemac Finest, some sort of Rudy Vey custom with a D01 3-band Shavemac knot and a custom M&F made by Lee Biggrin

22 5,064