12-14-2012, 01:52 PM
User Info
Well, after my attempt at a group buy for MdC failed I asked a friend (who shall remain nameless so he doesn't get a bazillion requests) if I could get a sliver of the soap so that I could decide whether or not I liked the scent. I had heard enough good things and very little negative about MdC that I knew if I liked the scent I would order a jar for myself.

Well my sliver of Martin de Candre arrived and it was not a sliver. There was a small tin with more than enough soap for a number of test shaves. First I have to say I love the scent. There is a touch of French Lavender to my nose but I cannot place what else. It is very distinctive from the Scottish Fine Lavender scent I am used to but I truly like the deep musky scent. Very masculine.

I packed the soap as tightly down as I could and started soaking a Vulfix Grosvenor. After a few minutes, I shook off the water from the brush and went to work. I was amazed at how quickly the brush loaded. This could be because it was hand packed loose chunks of MdC, or it could just be the way the soap is, but the Grosvenor loaded very fast.

The lather was rich (sorry no pictures) very slick and man, what a WONDERFUL shave I got from my Joris. Without a doubt today is one of the finest shaves I have ever received. BBS hours after the shave. Great cushion, great in every aspect. I can already say this is my favorite soap. I shall be ordering a jar for myself within the next week.

Well that was it, I just could not get over how great this soap actually is. It totally lived up to all of the hype.

129 6,685
 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
It does live up to the hype and it's totally worth every penny.

116 3,804
 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
User Info
YMMV, and there will always be argument, but I love it.

184 12,003
 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
User Info
(12-14-2012, 01:59 PM)Dave Wrote: It does live up to the hype and it's totally worth every penny.

Agreed. After only one use I can already say if I could only have one soap or cream, this would be it. Amazing stuff.

129 6,685
 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Yep. I don't think it had anything to do with the way it was packed either. You can literally swirl it for :10 and have enough lather to last 4 shaves. It's just the best soap there is IMO.

116 3,804
 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-14-2012, 01:52 PM)wingdo Wrote: Well, after my attempt at a group buy for MdC failed I asked a friend (who shall remain nameless so he doesn't get a bazillion requests) if I could get a sliver of the soap so that I could decide whether or not I liked the scent. I had heard enough good things and very little negative about MdC that I knew if I liked the scent I would order a jar for myself.

Well my sliver of Martin de Candre arrived and it was not a sliver. There was a small tin with more than enough soap for a number of test shaves. First I have to say I love the scent. There is a touch of French Lavender to my nose but I cannot place what else. It is very distinctive from the Scottish Fine Lavender scent I am used to but I truly like the deep musky scent. Very masculine.

I packed the soap as tightly down as I could and started soaking a Vulfix Grosvenor. After a few minutes, I shook off the water from the brush and went to work. I was amazed at how quickly the brush loaded. This could be because it was hand packed loose chunks of MdC, or it could just be the way the soap is, but the Grosvenor loaded very fast.

The lather was rich (sorry no pictures) very slick and man, what a WONDERFUL shave I got from my Joris. Without a doubt today is one of the finest shaves I have ever received. BBS hours after the shave. Great cushion, great in every aspect. I can already say this is my favorite soap. I shall be ordering a jar for myself within the next week.

Well that was it, I just could not get over how great this soap actually is. It totally lived up to all of the hype.

Wait on the order. Watch their FB page, they should be coming out with holiday specials any day now.

88 4,233
 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM
User Info
(12-14-2012, 01:59 PM)Dave Wrote: It does live up to the hype and it's totally worth every penny.

+1. Except the scent. I can certainly see how people wouldn't like the scent. And scent is definitely a YMWV factor.

9 2,988
 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
User Info
(12-14-2012, 02:15 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

+1. Except the scent. I can certainly see how people wouldn't like the scent. And scent is definitely a YMWV factor.

Agreed. It is a love it or hate it scent. I don't see any middle ground there, luckily they do have an unscented.

129 6,685
 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-14-2012, 02:11 PM)beartrap Wrote: Wait on the order. Watch their FB page, they should be coming out with holiday specials any day now.

I received an email 2 days ago with links to 12 different specials, ranging from bath/hand soaps, EdT sets and of course the soap. Nothing major as far as discounts though, one link was the big 230g wood bowl of MdC for about 6€/$8 off the usual price and a soap/styptic pencil and generic brush set with 200g of soap for 47€. I'm not sure if these will be the only specials or not.

EDIT:
Here is a roughly translated copy..odd way to do a special but hey, a discount is a discount.

IT'S CHRISTMAS IN
Martin de Candre
YOUR SAVONNIER PARFUMEUR AWAITS YOU ...
For your family, for your friends, offer a product Natural, Beautiful, Fragrant .... an unusual gift offered by a large Artisan Soap.

* For my Dad Baby, click here
* For Our Mom! click here
* For Augustine, my son, click here
* For Amélie, the girlfriend, click here
* For Claude will come to water the plants while we're on the mountain, click here
* For Monique my Sponsor, click here
* For Aunt Suzanne, boring but we love! click here
* For the mistress of Marguerite, click here
* For our centennial Grandma! click here
* For Sebastian, who always gives us a coffee, click here
* For Pascal and Julie who will spend at home during the holidays, click here
* For ..... you choose the gift that will make those around you happy! click here

31 1,510
 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM
User Info
Enjoy the soap, Doug!

75 20,883
 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
User Info
Thats exactly how I came to love it too Doug! It is as good as it gets. Curious, as you didnt say, did you bowl or face lather it? Both are quite effective of course Biggrin

I know lots of guys say it only takes a quick load, but I like a normal load time. I feel its thicker and creamier that way, which is how I like it.

And I'm curious you guys, have you noticed that if the lather "rests" for a short time, say during your first pass, that it's actually even better for subsequent passes?

4 253
 12-14-2012, 04:01 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I keep on reading about it, it sounds amazing and still haven't pulled the trigger. I'm so hesitant, I don't know why, maybe because some say it has a medicinal scent. One day I will grow a pair and place the order. 24

10 1,120
 12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
(12-14-2012, 03:55 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: Thats exactly how I came to love it too Doug! It is as good as it gets. Curious, as you didnt say, did you bowl or face lather it? Both are quite effective of course Biggrin

I know lots of guys say it only takes a quick load, but I like a normal load time. I feel its thicker and creamier that way, which is how I like it.

And I'm curious you guys, have you noticed that if the lather "rests" for a short time, say during your first pass, that it's actually even better for subsequent passes?

I started to face lather, but noticed I needed quite a bit more water so I switched to my waiting and warm scuttle.

129 6,685
 12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
It was always the cost for me Mike, and believing that any soap that cost $50+ could be 10x better than some of my favorites like Razorock that cost $5-$10! As much as I enjoy it, it isn't 10x better, but it is the best I've used and thats good enough for me to always have some!

4 253
 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
User Info
(12-14-2012, 04:01 PM)MickToley Wrote: I keep on reading about it, it sounds amazing and still haven't pulled the trigger. I'm so hesitant, I don't know why, maybe because some say it has a medicinal scent. One day I will grow a pair and place the order. 24

I do not detect any medicinal smell at all. If you are hesitant due to the smell, there is always unscented. Or you can resell MdC in B/S/T if you do not like it. I've never seen a jar last more than a few hours.

129 6,685
 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM
User Info

+1Biggrin

0 156
 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(12-14-2012, 04:06 PM)wingdo Wrote: I do not detect any medicinal smell at all. If you are hesitant due to the smell, there is always unscented. Or you can resell MdC in B/S/T if you do not like it. I've never seen a jar last more than a few hours.

That's true, I should just man up.

10 1,120
 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mick, buy the large jar of the scented and if you do not like it, I will buy it from you.

To me the scent is a cross of lavender and juniper berry.

Oh, the unscented still has a slight scent.

173 23,546
 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(12-14-2012, 05:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: Mick, buy the large jar of the scented and if you do not like it, I will buy it from you.

To me the scent is a cross of lavender and juniper berry.

Oh, the unscented still has a slight scent.

I have a small sample of the unscented and to me it's no scent at all. Maybe because it's uncovered in a sandwich bag.

10 1,120
 12-14-2012, 06:14 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Hands down, the best soap I've ever used!

91 17,852