12-14-2012, 02:36 PM
User Info
I had my first shave this morning with XPEC unscented shaving cream, which arrived yesterday. After reading other reviews I was expecting a lot, and can honestly say that it still over-delivered.

The jar is big, refined / not flashy and the unscented cream truly smells unscented to me. I generally like some scent, however after reading some negative reviews about the XPEC scented version decided not to take a gamble. Unscented worked well in that I was able to get the scent I wanted from my aftershave (Speick today).

The cream was moderately soft (a bit softer than CF Lime), looked rich, and lathered (full!) very easily. I'm not as knowledgeable as I would like to be on cream ingredients, however this cream felt good on my face during and for a bit after the shave. Using a DE today (Tradere OC)) the glide was really nice!

Bottom line: this is now my favorite cream (or soap).

Caveats:

I have been traditional wet shaving for 10 months.

Previous favorite: CF Lime

Others tried: TOBS Sandalwood, TOBS Mr Taylors, TOBS Jermyn St, Tabac, RazoRock XXX, Proraso, Body Shop Maca Root, GFT Limes Soap

AdP is on the way - expecting a lot

191 1,552
 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Very interesting !

What are the ingredients of the cream and where is it being made ?

What AdP are you expecting , the tub or the tube version ?

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I think XPEC is good without the scent but the scent is what people like and what "justifies" its price. In the scented version there must be an ounce of EO added, it stays with you most of the day.
I still cannot justify the price, if I wasn't gifted a jar, I'd never buy it myself. However big the jar is - $80 is a bit too much.
I was planing on putting it on BST but still hesitant to let it go, it is very good Biggrin

88 4,233
 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I just checked that this cream is even more expensive than Santa Maria La Novella , Domenico Carraceni or Aqua Di Parma tube...

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-14-2012, 03:04 PM)Teiste Wrote: I just checked that this cream is even more expensive than Santa Maria La Novella , Domenico Carraceni or Aqua Di Parma tube...

It is better too, much better.

88 4,233
 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM
User Info
It's made in Italy by Forester-Milano

I can't find the ingredients, however product review says ...

The presence of glycerine, with its powerful moisturizing properties, and fatty acids extracted from coconut, produces a hydrating action on the skin, leaving it soft and protected at the end of the shaving process.
Finally, the presence of Aloe not only contributes to soothing soreness, but also bears antiseptic properties.

AdP - tub version

(12-14-2012, 02:56 PM)Teiste Wrote: Very interesting !

I got it for $66.99 at SRD .... expensive, but great & the jar is huge (250 ml / 8.4 fluid oz)

(12-14-2012, 02:59 PM)beartrap Wrote: I think XPEC is good without the scent but the scent is what people like and what "justifies" its price. In the scented version there must be an ounce of EO added, it stays with you most of the day.
I still cannot justify the price, if I wasn't gifted a jar, I'd never buy it myself. However big the jar is - $80 is a bit too much.
I was planing on putting it on BST but still hesitant to let it go, it is very good Biggrin

191 1,552
 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-14-2012, 03:06 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(12-14-2012, 03:04 PM)Teiste Wrote: I just checked that this cream is even more expensive than Santa Maria La Novella , Domenico Carraceni or Aqua Di Parma tube...

It is better too, much better.

Much better than old Santa Maria La Novella cream (lanolin)? Eyepop

(12-14-2012, 03:10 PM)waveflow Wrote: It's made in Italy by Forester-Milano

I can't find the ingredients, however product review says ...

The presence of glycerine, with its powerful moisturizing properties, and fatty acids extracted from coconut, produces a hydrating action on the skin, leaving it soft and protected at the end of the shaving process.
Finally, the presence of Aloe not only contributes to soothing soreness, but also bears antiseptic properties.

AdP - tub version

(12-14-2012, 02:56 PM)Teiste Wrote: Very interesting !

I got it for $66.99 at SRD .... expensive, but great & the jar is huge (250 ml / 8.4 fluid oz)

(12-14-2012, 02:59 PM)beartrap Wrote: I think XPEC is good without the scent but the scent is what people like and what "justifies" its price. In the scented version there must be an ounce of EO added, it stays with you most of the day.

Thank you ! I didnt even know that it was made in Italy.I know wonder what are its ingredient list , like if contains lanolin...

Out of topic , but how does the scented version smells like ?

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
$67 is not bad at all. Was it shipped for $67?

(12-14-2012, 03:15 PM)Teiste Wrote: Out of topic , but how does the scented version smells like ?

It's very complex, like an expensive perfume, I am bad at describing scents.

88 4,233
 12-14-2012, 03:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-14-2012, 03:15 PM)beartrap Wrote: $67 is not bad at all. Was it shipped for $67?

(12-14-2012, 03:15 PM)Teiste Wrote: Out of topic , but how does the scented version smells like ?

It's very complex, like an expensive perfume, I am bad at describing scents.

Oh boy , here we go again...now that I thought that I had only one more shaving cream to buy , and now it seems I will be adding one more to the list...

I only have found those shaving creams in one place for 79 , 99 dollars (shipping free).

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
I had free shipping bc I also ordered a new strop (anything over $100 ships free)

[quote='beartrap' pid='149449' dateline='1355526931']
$67 is not bad at all. Was it shipped for $67?

191 1,552
 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Found it:

The scent contains notes of wild thyme, lemon, tuberose, fennel, pepper, ginger, cedar wood and oak musk.

SRD does not have Scented XPEC in stock, so $80 is the only price that's available. I will get a list of ingredients when I get home.

88 4,233
 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
The XPEC Original fragrance concept:

XPEC Original was conceived as a fragrance of seductive and individual richness… with qualities of gravitas and power… bold, decisive and very masculine… yet underneath revealing all of the subtlety, sensitivity and charm of the classic English gentleman.

“Cedarwood, Oak Moss and Pepper gave me a very male character as a baseline. Ginger and Citrus I chose for their qualities of Mediterranean warmth. And, to soften and round these characteristics, I wanted to include Rose too since they are my favourite flowers.

Tuber Rose is less obviously feminine, and yet it has a mellow, sensual elegance. Thyme provides a contrast, a balance with the rose and to give an uplift, a feeling of excitement almost of hypnotic intoxication. This is what I felt that I wanted in this new man’s fragrance.

So I mapped out all the words I use to describe this perfume concept, and then placed by each word an essential oil; and presto! XPEC Original was born. This is my expertise – creating a perfumery concept a picture of a fragrance.”

– Shirley Brody, designer

[quote='Teiste' pid='149448' dateline='1355526915']

Out of topic , but how does the scented version smells like ?

191 1,552
 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-14-2012, 03:19 PM)beartrap Wrote: Found it:

The scent contains notes of wild thyme, lemon, tuberose, fennel, pepper, ginger, cedar wood and oak musk.

SRD does not have Scented XPEC in stock, so $80 is the only price that's available. I will get a list of ingredients when I get home.

Thank you , my friend.

Cedarwood scent is truly not for me , Im afraid , but it seems like a quiet complex scent.

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
According to a 2009 review over at B&B the ingredients for the scented version are/were.

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis, Parfum, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rosehip Oil, Calendula Extract, Ivy Extract, Gingko Bilboa, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, Eugenol, Geraniol, Linalool, Benzyl benzoate, Citronellol, Limonene, Evernia Prunastri Extract and Treemos

If that has changed in the last 3-4 years I do not know (probably, seems everyone is reformulating) but the unscented should be similar regarding ingredients.

31 1,510
 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-14-2012, 03:24 PM)waveflow Wrote: The XPEC Original fragrance concept:

XPEC Original was conceived as a fragrance of seductive and individual richness… with qualities of gravitas and power… bold, decisive and very masculine… yet underneath revealing all of the subtlety, sensitivity and charm of the classic English gentleman.

“Cedarwood, Oak Moss and Pepper gave me a very male character as a baseline. Ginger and Citrus I chose for their qualities of Mediterranean warmth. And, to soften and round these characteristics, I wanted to include Rose too since they are my favourite flowers.

Tuber Rose is less obviously feminine, and yet it has a mellow, sensual elegance. Thyme provides a contrast, a balance with the rose and to give an uplift, a feeling of excitement almost of hypnotic intoxication. This is what I felt that I wanted in this new man’s fragrance.

So I mapped out all the words I use to describe this perfume concept, and then placed by each word an essential oil; and presto! XPEC Original was born. This is my expertise – creating a perfumery concept a picture of a fragrance.”

Agree! Biggrin

88 4,233
 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-14-2012, 03:24 PM)waveflow Wrote: The XPEC Original fragrance concept:

You are not making it easy for me to resist.It seems that this is the same company which makes Domenico Carraceni shaving cream , and was confirmed by Maestro Joseph , from Italian Barber.

(12-14-2012, 03:27 PM)Arcadies Wrote: According to a 2009 review over at B&B the ingredients for the scented version are/were.

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis, Parfum, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rosehip Oil, Calendula Extract, Ivy Extract, Gingko Bilboa, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, Eugenol, Geraniol, Linalool, Benzyl benzoate, Citronellol, Limonene, Evernia Prunastri Extract and Treemos

If that has changed in the last 3-4 years I do not know (probably, seems everyone is reformulating) but the unscented should be similar regarding ingredients.

Quiet a nice formulation (well , the parabens...) . I wonder if they have reformulated too..

Thanks !

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 05:33 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Here is the ingredients list.

[Image: 1zmi6ub.jpg]

88 4,233
 12-14-2012, 05:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-14-2012, 05:33 PM)beartrap Wrote: Here is the ingredients list.

[Image: 1zmi6ub.jpg]

Thanks Steve !

It seems have been reformulated too , and the formulation is almost the same than the Domenico Carraceni shaving cream :

Aqua, stearic acid, aloe barbadensis, fragrance, myristic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut acid, glycerin, triethanolamine, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, ethyl paraben, methyl paraben, butyl paraben, isobutyl paraben, propyl paraben, eugenol, geraniol, hydroxycitronellal, treemos

Well , now Im more undecided which to get first...

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I have only tried this formulation, I don't care if it has parabens, it's one good cream, I just wish they had a mellower scent, I don't like that I can still smell it hours latter.
I will use it for the third time on Monday and see if it's going up on BST Biggrin

88 4,233
 12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
Wow, so they just flat took out all the "interesting" ingredients (Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rosehip Oil, Calendula Extract, Ivy Extract, Gingko Bilboa). Looks basically like the ingredient list of any other shaving cream now.

Hmm, actually maybe that old ingredients list was for the soap. The Xpec site mentions a triple-milled soap with rosehip, almond, etc. oils. Interestingly, there's no cream listed, so I'm guessing this site is out of date.

30 275