12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: Omega%20Mighty%20Midget.jpg?m=1355515449]

I have heard so many good things about this little brush , that I wanted to have one , and thank to our admin Andrew , I tried it today...and yes , its true , great little brush.

Its a small brush , but not as small as a Simpson Wee Scot , which is one the smallest brushes I have tried , with a vintage Plisson. Here is a pic of the Omega 11047 and the Wee Scot :

[Image: P1260111.JPG?m=1355515352]

The measures of the Omega 11047 are 20 mm knot , 43 mm loft , and 73 mm total height.

Mixed hair brushes are excellent brushes for the money , like the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor or some of the Vie Long badger and horse hair ones.This brush cost from 16 dollars at Italian Barber , and its performance is excellent. I don't know how much boar hair and how much badger hair the knot contains , but it feels soft on the tips , much softer than the Vulfix 404.I also dont know if the badger hair used its pure badger ( but Im sure it is due to its low price) but this brush doesn't have the typical pure badger hair scratchiness , which could be very exfoliating and unpleasant. No , this brush has soft tips , with what some gentlemen called "scrubiness" and that's it.

Despise its short loft , makes lather in no time , and the lather which makes it is quiet thick.I tested it with several croaps , creams and hard soaps , and finally shaved with RazoRock XXX and the lather was extremely thicker and quiet slick.The knot can't contains huge amount of water , but I personally think this is an advantage , so the lather doesn't becomes very "runny" or light , like I sometimes "suffer" from some badger hair brushes.

Some people have named this brush the "Mighty Midget" and I can see why.It not fully break in , and its just showing that for its money , its an excellent value.However , I wouldn't recommend this brush to anybody with big hands , since the handle is on the small size and not the most ergonomic , either for me , that I have medium size hands.
Ill report back after I have used it more times.

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
User Info
There are two other versions of the Mighty Midget. One is silvertip and one is all boar. The boar version, which is non-banded, is a delight to use and a great travel brush. The knot is large enough for serious lathering but it has the issues with the small handle you refer to.

37 2,965
 12-14-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
I really like the Mighty Midget mixed knot.

IMO, it out classes the Simpson Wee Scot. It is only slightly larger and has much better performance for less that half the price. Great little brush. I have two of them in my travel kits.

18 568
 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-14-2012, 05:24 PM)PanChango Wrote: I really like the Mighty Midget mixed knot.

IMO, it out classes the Simpson Wee Scot. It is only slightly larger and has much better performance for less that half the price. Great little brush. I have two of them in my travel kits.

I do like the Wee Scot , but yes , this one performs much better than the Wee Scot (IMHO) , but I need to try it more.

86 7,123
 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review, thank-you.

91 17,856
 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Looking for a new brush to love....been having mixed results with the ones I have

Thanks to this review I just ordered one of these and an Edwin Jagger Best black badger in faux tortoise. Been eying the Jagger one for a while, but after reading this review and finding this brush for $13 at the same place, it was a no brainer to buy both lol

10 411
 12-15-2012, 07:37 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Teiste

Without a doubt the Omega 11047 mixed boar/badger shaving brush is a dynamite "little" brush, offered at a very! good (low) price.

Brian gave its cousin the Omega 599 Silvertip a good review here...

And Yohann sung the praises of the Omega 11047 here...

Unfortunately I had to re-knot my Omega 11047 due to the boar hair content, see here...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-15-2012, 03:18 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste! It is a great little brush.

75 20,883
 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
So, mine just came in the mail today.....I'm a little annoyed, I wasn't expecting it till tomorrow or Friday, and I just shaved before bed last night LOL

Anyway, I've only soaked it a bit and test lathered it twice to get some of the funk out. Lathering completely un-broken in, it's already showing great promise. Took a little effort, but still whipped up a pretty darn nice lather Biggrin

I have a question though; Anyone know why every one I see seems to have a different label?
This was the pic where I bought it on westcoastshaving:
[Image: sb-ome-21047.jpg]
No circle around the Omega logo, a line under it instead and says Pura Setola.
The one I got has the circled logo like Teiste's pictures above, but instead of saying Pura Setola it says Tasso & Setola

Personally, I like that it says Tasso & Setola better, since it's a mix and all....I'm just curious why all the changes in the label, which is the original, etc?

10 411
 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Daryl :

I have no idea.Mine says "Pure Setola" , but its clearly the mixed knot.I wonder if the new ones are the ones with the "Setola & Tasso".That would be my guess.

86 7,123
 12-19-2012, 03:22 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Well, I poked around a bit and found one post on another forum in a review of this brush where someone said the "Setola & Tasso" was the original stamp LOL

Like I said, not that it effects the brush in any way, I just get curious about stuff like that Blush

10 411
 12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
So , they changed the stamp from "Setola & Tasso" to "Pure Setola" even when the knot is the same ? Huh

86 7,123
 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
How is it compared to the Shave Nook LE? I've been curious about other brands mix brushes.

35 1,732
 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM
User Info
I've had mine for a few years and it has the Pura Setola marking as well.

Keep the costs down and use one handle for all three variations of the brush.

As long as it says Omega on it, I imagine they are happy.

18 568
 12-19-2012, 06:35 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I dunno, this is where I saw it:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....ost3628916
Like I said though, no idea on what info he based the statement on.

However, on Omegas site the brush says "Tasso & Setola":
http://www.omegabrush.com/english/dabarb...php?id=113
I have to wonder if they would update the site picture just because the stamp changed? Or would they just leave the picture of the original design up?

Just for schnitz n giggles I asked them about it through the contact link on their site....I'll let you know if I get a response in english lol

10 411
 12-20-2012, 10:02 AM
User Info
(12-19-2012, 03:23 PM)Teiste Wrote: So , they changed the stamp from "Setola & Tasso" to "Pure Setola" even when the knot is the same ? Huh

Actually is the other way around.
The older ones used to say "Pura Setola". Maybe because they hadn't a proper sticker or stamp for these knots.

The newest ones say "Setola & Tasso". At least the ones that I see arriving to the brick-and-mortar shops here in Portugal. It seems that finally Omega managed to get a proper stamp to denote the mixed nature of these knots.

The one that Teiste has must be one of the older ones - probably it was in stock for quite some time in the shop where he bought it.

(12-19-2012, 04:02 PM)Tonality Wrote: How is it compared to the Shave Nook LE? I've been curious about other brands mix brushes.

IMHO, either the TSN LE, the Caravela, the Vulfix Grosvenor mixed and the Vie-Long mixed horse&badger (I have the 14080) are better than the Omega 11047.

But, as always, YMMV...

2 5,532
 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
This is my first mixed brush, so I can't compare it to others...but I just got done really using it for the first time.

For a boar that hasn't broken in yet, it performed pretty darn well. I was only planning for a quick single pass shave, so I tried to load it lightly and still ended up with enough lather for at least 2 passes, if not more.

The small handle didn't bother my while making lather in a shallow bowl, but was a little awkward when applying to my face. Not as bad as I expected though.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it is as it breaks in. The main reasons I bought this one was a) it was a super cheap b) I wanted to try a mixed knot and c) I figured I could always hang onto it if I need a travel brush. But with the way it's performing so far, and assuming it's only going to get better, I have a feeling it just might make it into regular rotation Biggrin

10 411
 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-20-2012, 10:02 AM)oversaturn Wrote:
(12-19-2012, 03:23 PM)Teiste Wrote: So , they changed the stamp from "Setola & Tasso" to "Pure Setola" even when the knot is the same ? Huh

Actually is the other way around.
The older ones used to say "Pura Setola". Maybe because they hadn't a proper sticker or stamp for these knots.

The newest ones say "Setola & Tasso". At least the ones that I see arriving to the brick-and-mortar shops here in Portugal. It seems that finally Omega managed to get a proper stamp to denote the mixed nature of these knots.

The one that Teiste has must be one of the older ones - probably it was in stock for quite some time in the shop where he bought it.

(12-19-2012, 04:02 PM)Tonality Wrote: How is it compared to the Shave Nook LE? I've been curious about other brands mix brushes.

IMHO, either the TSN LE, the Caravela, the Vulfix Grosvenor mixed and the Vie-Long mixed horse&badger (I have the 14080) are better than the Omega 11047.

But, as always, YMMV...

Thanks for your answer , irmao.

Yes , I will say that the Semogue TSN is a better brush than this one , but this one its not bad at all for what it cost.The Vulfix is another good brush , but not as good as the Semogue TSN.

86 7,123
 01-11-2013, 02:43 AM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Does anyone know a European vendor who stocks this brush? I'm not interested in the boar only version, only the mixed knot. I would like to try that as I'm not really getting along with my Wee Scot and I want a small travel brush.

0 117
 01-11-2013, 04:02 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Omega 50068 Bambino is a tiny beauty, nice white bristles; the handle is light and cheapish, but it is a $7 brush. I like it, anyway. I just like weeny brushes and want a Nano. BTW, I have big hands, but I am nimble Smile

Also check out the Omega 40033. Light handle, injected plastic, but a cheapie and the tips soften really nicely.

The 11047 is wonderful, of course. Mine has the label indicating the mixed loft.

0 1,625