12-15-2012, 04:42 AM
User Info
So admittedly in the past, I didn't favor Harris soaps, for me and my crappy water, I swore Trumpers veggie based soaps worked out better and etc..

Well after 2 years or so my puck of Lavender grew on me, however its old and dried up like a puck of MWF and it smells like vintage old spice, ie hardly any scent left.

I remember there wasn't much difference if any between the Almond and Lavender, is this still the case? I haven't sniffed a fresh puck of Harris anything in forever, I'm looking to pick up a fresh new soap for my Jubilee!

0 652
 12-15-2012, 07:18 AM
User Info
Aaron, I'm a Harris soap fan, but even so, I was disappointed how little scent the Lavender has. The Almond is definitely more strongly scented, and it should be noted, it's not an almond or marzipan smell. It's more akin to Trumper Almond - dry and a little astringent. I like it, but the name could be misleading.

--Glenn

1 49
 12-15-2012, 08:09 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
What Glenn said.

I found D.R. Harris Almond soap an excellent one and I truly like its scent , very far away from the traditional bitter/sweet lamond scent than the Italian croaps have : this one smells like wet soil after a storm for me.Great soap from Harris indeed.

86 7,123
 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
User Info
The scents of DRH are great but their level of scent is schizophrenic. It can vary wildly. The best way to buy them is in a B&M so you kind find the right puck with the level of scent you want

2 697
 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
User Info
Agree with D. R. Harris scent variability. Have a tub of Lavender which has a wonderful scent. Got samples of Arlington and Windsor, and couldn't smell them at all. Had a bit of the Almond, and found the scent nice but light in strength. May end up getting a tub of it, though; nice lather!

3 543
 12-15-2012, 11:52 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-15-2012, 08:21 AM)SteelTown Wrote: The scents of DRH are great but their level of scent is schizophrenic. It can vary wildly. The best way to buy them is in a B&M so you kind find the right puck with the level of scent you want

Agreed. I have a puck of Lavender that is very potent..yet I have a puck of Arlington purchased at the same time as the Lavender that is fairly weak.

31 1,510
 12-15-2012, 02:45 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Just to confuse things a little more, I found my Lavender nicely scented and the Almond very weak. Great soaps though, I really like the Windsor. Arlington is my least favorite scent of the Harris line.

12 743
 12-15-2012, 03:14 PM
User Info
Interesting about the varied levels of scent per puck, it could also be how long they've been sitting around too.

I know when I first picked up my Lavender, it would radiate through out the bathroom haha, it was by no means "weak" or "light".

Hmm, maybe I will have to go and pickup another puck of Trumpers Almond instead.

0 652
 12-16-2012, 03:38 AM
User Info
Such variability as to strength of scent being mentioned here. Living in the UK, I buy my Harris soaps direct and have never had any variation within several pucks each scent purchased. The almond has consistently had the weaker scent of the 4 available(excluding the Naturals) and tends to be my least favourite because of. Windsor, Arlington and Marlborough are my preferences in that order. Lavender, I can take or leave it. There are better lavender scents around IMO.

31 4,957
 12-16-2012, 09:11 AM
User Info
(12-16-2012, 03:38 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Such variability as to strength of scent being mentioned here. Living in the UK, I buy my Harris soaps direct and have never had any variation within several pucks each scent purchased. The almond has consistently had the weaker scent of the 4 available(excluding the Naturals) and tends to be my least favourite because of. Windsor, Arlington and Marlborough are my preferences in that order. Lavender, I can take or leave it. There are better lavender scents around IMO.

David, I am curious as how one may explain why the scents of the Harris soaps do not vary for you within the U.K. Newer? Not having to travel as far? I would guess that soaps do not spend all that much time in transit to overseas distributors, but just don't know. And would have doubted that time (particularly when the soaps are wrapped) would not play a tremendous role. But my samples (and may have had to do with grating soaps into samples) were truly scentless.

3 543
 12-16-2012, 03:20 PM
User Info
(12-16-2012, 09:11 AM)john parker Wrote:
(12-16-2012, 03:38 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Such variability as to strength of scent being mentioned here. Living in the UK, I buy my Harris soaps direct and have never had any variation within several pucks each scent purchased. The almond has consistently had the weaker scent of the 4 available(excluding the Naturals) and tends to be my least favourite because of. Windsor, Arlington and Marlborough are my preferences in that order. Lavender, I can take or leave it. There are better lavender scents around IMO.

David, I am curious as how one may explain why the scents of the Harris soaps do not vary for you within the U.K. Newer? Not having to travel as far? I would guess that soaps do not spend all that much time in transit to overseas distributors, but just don't know. And would have doubted that time (particularly when the soaps are wrapped) would not play a tremendous role. But my samples (and may have had to do with grating soaps into samples) were truly scentless.

My thoughts are how long the actual vendor has had their stocks; with the exception of Phil, I doubt any of them will actually go sniffing soaps, or swap out for a "Fresher" puck lol.

0 652
 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info

Did you ever tried the old Taylor of Old Bond Street lavender soap? I will put it on par with quality with any of the Harris soaps , with a nice lavender scent.

86 7,123
 12-17-2012, 05:33 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
(12-15-2012, 08:21 AM)SteelTown Wrote: The scents of DRH are great but their level of scent is schizophrenic.

I agree with this. I have 5 Harris soaps all bought earlier this year. My Lavender has the strongest scent of the 5 while my Almond has no scent at all. The performance is the same for all 5, but I'm disappointed that the level of scent varies so much. The scent (or lack thereof) will definitely be a factor when it comes to replacing any of them.

0 204
 12-17-2012, 05:39 AM
User Info
(12-16-2012, 09:11 AM)john parker Wrote:

John, I cannot obviously say for sure but I'm working on the basis that Harris would have a faster turnaround themselves, rather than vendors(both here in the UK and overseas), where stock could sit for ages. There is more chance of getting a newer puck buying directly from Harris directly. I don't think travel time plays a part.

(12-16-2012, 08:25 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Did you ever tried the old Taylor of Old Bond Street lavender soap? I will put it on par with quality with any of the Harris soaps , with a nice lavender scent.

Teiste, unfortunately the lavender scent was unavailable when I bought my first puck of TOBS soap. I only had a chance to try the Sandalwood which performed well. I know that David(djh)over on B&B used the lavender soap over a year ago from beginning to end and reported great things about it.

31 4,957