12-15-2012, 05:35 AM
User Info
I had to get an MRi yesterday. I never had this procedure before. They needed epics of my neck.
I was laid out on a comfy table head first towards the opening of the machine. The tablenslid forward into this tight tube. Gosh its hot in here. And close. I wasn't even in to my shoulders and I did not like it. I asked to come out.

The tech asked if I was claustrophobic and I said "not until just now" I unbuttoned my shirt and cuffs; rolled up my sleeves and told them. To slide me back in. I was determined to do this.

I kept my eyes closed and thought pleasant shaving thoughts. First I mentally inventoried my razors. Then my soaps AS, and balms. I followed that upn y thinking of the Tradere SB and Ikon OC I am getting for Christmas.

Nice pleasant thoughts made the time pass and kept me calm. Shaving to the rescue! But I do admit to tossing in a few impure thoughts of my wife to help as well.
phil

7 363
 12-15-2012, 06:13 AM
User Info
Phil, you made me chuckle and I'm glad you stuck it out. From experience, an MRI does entail a cozy but worthwhile exam. I hope your report from the radiologist and your subsequent management go well.

47 1,270
 12-15-2012, 06:27 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Nice write-up! Whatever gets us through Wink

88 4,233
 12-15-2012, 06:31 AM
User Info
Makes me wonder how the loud banging noises played into your "happy thoughts". Blush

31 7,914
 12-15-2012, 06:57 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice Phil!

I had an MRI several years ago ... the tech asked about claustrophobia and mentioned the loud clanging noises. I found the noises to be 'musical' and drifted off to sleep during the procedure. The tech saw no movement from me and I didn't answer her prompts over the speaker system ... she became alarmed and later told me she was concerned that something 'dire' had occurred! When she hastily stopped the procedure and rolled me out of the machine ... I was perfectly fine of course, and asked her why she interrupted the pleasant dream I was having Smile

102 17,670
 12-15-2012, 07:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-15-2012, 06:57 AM)Agravic Wrote: Nice Phil!

I had an MRI several years ago ... the tech asked about claustrophobia and mentioned the loud clanging noises. I found the noises to be 'musical' and drifted off to sleep during the procedure. The tech saw no movement from me and I didn't answer her prompts over the speaker system ... she became alarmed and later told me she was concerned that something 'dire' had occurred! When she hastily stopped the procedure and rolled me out of the machine ... I was perfectly fine of course, and asked her why she interrupted the pleasant dream I was having Smile

This exact same thing happened to me two years ago when I had a MRI.

Phil, I hope everything turns/turned out okay.

173 23,548
 12-15-2012, 05:57 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, thank you for making us laugh at what was a serious time. May all go well for you. I have had one MRI and while I did not find it pleasant, I survived it with no problems. Biggrin

2 11,211
 12-22-2012, 08:00 PM
User Info
They didn't let you listen to any music? I've had my share of MRIs...back, neck, etc...a little jazz piped in makes them a bit more bearable. Hopefully, your results come back without anything too major.

5 938
 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
Phil, hopefully the results were all good news.

I am a person who has a very hard time sleeping, but I find myself able to fall asleep easily on a train. Commuter, heavy rail, I've slept on them all. Something about the swaying and the clackity clack of steel on steel. I am not claustrophobic (but I despise being in crowds), so that is not an issue for me. I've fallen asleep getting an MRI. If the lights are low, some relaxing music on headphones and the thumpa thumpa of the magnet spinning around is just soothing to me. I have no explanation for it whatsoever.

129 6,685
 12-23-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have had several myself, it is amazing what you think about.
Great write up thanks for sharing.

I pray that all is well.

1 3,507