12-15-2012, 07:18 PM
User Info
I added weight to the handle of my first regular R41 a couple of years ago, and in the back of my mind I had the idea I'd do it with the Grande if I ever got one. I had a bit of time on my hands this afternoon and decided to add more weight to my new Grande. The top escutcheon (for want of a better description of the piece that's threaded for the cap to fasten onto) will twist off if I place numerous layers of masking tape around it and on the jaws of a pair of pliers to keep from scratching it. I grasp it with the pliers, making very sure the sharp ridges of the pliers are not exposed through the tape, and twisting removes the threaded piece. The handle is hollow of course. I located a bolt that measured almost the same dimensions as the hollow interior of the handle, 1/2 X 2 inches. I sawed the head of the bolt off with a hacksaw and used the bench grinder to dress the top and bottom of the cut bolt. After I dry-fitted the bolt, and made dead sure there'd be just enough room for the top to be pressed back down inside, then I placed an ample amount of JB Weld epoxy down into the handle and gently dropped the bolt inside. I took a small rod and very firmly shoved the bolt as far down as it would go, causing the JB Weld to move up along the sides of the bolt, but certainly not coming out over the exposed top of the bolt, because that would mean I had too much! Then I placed a carefully measured drop of JB Weld onto the exposed lower surface of the threaded piece that was going to be forever epoxied to the top of the bolt shank. Then I inserted the threaded piece back into its original position where it came from and shoved it partway home. Finally, I used the bench vise with a cloth covering the jaws to slowly and carefully press the piece all the way down, and left it clamped for a few hours. I guess I could have done it the lazy way, and omitted the epoxy, but I don't want the bolt rattling around loose inside, and I want it to be solid. It's certainly solid and heavier now! Just the way I like it.

Unweighted handle 2 oz (56.70g)
1/2 in. x 2 in. bolt shaft 1.5 oz (42.50g)
Weighted handle 3.5 oz (99.20g)
Head and blade 1.0 oz (28.35g)
Handle with head and blade installed 4.5 oz (127.55g)

24 1,150
 12-15-2012, 07:52 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great work, how does it shave with the custom modification? Any more aggressive with the extra weight (is that even possible for the R41)?

91 17,798
 12-15-2012, 10:53 PM
User Info
Wow, Gary, you sure do like a challenge! You don't find the razor aggressive enough for you as it is. Wow. Enjoy.

75 20,883
 12-16-2012, 05:53 AM
User Info
I've got it loaded with the free Derby blade they kindly gave me. Honestly, up until now, I hadn't heard that a heavier razor is more aggressive than a lighter one. The blade factor might complicate matters.

24 1,150
 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Gary

Nice idea, good (clear) explanation on how to achieve it and a job well done on actually carrying out the work Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-16-2012, 09:13 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
There is a suggestion that increased weight correlates with increased aggression. Perhaps a lighter weight razor requires more pressure, whereas the heavy razor generates more pressure from it's mass. This directly proportional hypothesis has merit, but I'm not sure it's proven...

91 17,798
 12-16-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
(12-16-2012, 09:13 AM)ben74 Wrote: There is a suggestion that increased weight correlates with increased aggression. Perhaps a lighter weight razor requires more pressure, whereas the heavy razor generates more pressure from it's mass. This directly proportional hypothesis has merit, but I'm not sure it's proven...

All I can say is that today's shave with the heavy handle, using as close to zero pressure as possible, was very good. I really like the heft and feel of the heavy Grande. This is the kind of shave I strive for every day. For now, I'm going to keep the rotation going. The Muhle fits in nicely with the Cobra, Barbasol, and straight razors. I don't use any one razor for more than one shave before moving on to the next razor.

24 1,150
 12-16-2012, 09:47 PM
User Info
Thanks for this explanation! I think I'll try the same this week.

191 1,552
 11-22-2013, 11:40 AM
User Info
Others have substituted melted paraffin wax for the JB Weld so that they could "undo" the modification by lightly heating the handle to melt the wax.

Does anyone know if the top of the handle can be removed this way on a 2013 R41?

0 15
 11-22-2013, 11:56 AM
User Info
Great tutorial! I didn't know the top would come off. How did you figure that out? I have two handles and may try the experiment with one of them.

9 197
 11-22-2013, 08:34 PM
User Info
(11-22-2013, 11:56 AM)Ronnie Aloha Wrote: Great tutorial! I didn't know the top would come off. How did you figure that out? I have two handles and may try the experiment with one of them.

Ronnie, it was sort of accidental. I was trying to twist off the bottom, and had a padded clamp on the top to keep the handle from turning, at first it wouldn't budge, but suddenly the top just popped off! A happy surprise.

(11-22-2013, 11:40 AM)bharvey60 Wrote: Others have substituted melted paraffin wax for the JB Weld so that they could "undo" the modification by lightly heating the handle to melt the wax.

Does anyone know if the top of the handle can be removed this way on a 2013 R41?

Someone had a good idea with the wax, I suppose it might work if the top didn't loosen up and pop out. Anyway, in my case, as a guy who's worked a lot around a shop in the past, I've got a mental block against intentionally making or fixing something that might eventually fail or come loose, if I can help it. A one track mind, I suppose.

24 1,150
 03-30-2014, 12:06 PM
User Info
I have an extra handle since I put a bulldog handle on my 41, I'm going to fill mine with hot lead from the tackle shop and see what happens. Talk about adding weight and keeping the factory look. Thanks for this information.

0 2
 03-30-2014, 09:40 PM
User Info
I just got a merkur 37c slant and although after my first shave I did enjoy it, I wish it was heavier. Has anyone added weight to a merkur HD type razor?

10 829
 07-02-2014, 08:12 AM
User Info
Interesting discussion, which begs a question: I've always preferred my D.E. razors to be heavier toward the head so that the weight of the razor does the cutting with little/no added pressure. But from this conversation--and others I've heard--a lot of guys seem prefer more weight in the handle. Would anyone care to weigh in on that?

(03-30-2014, 09:40 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: I just got a merkur 37c slant and although after my first shave I did enjoy it, I wish it was heavier. Has anyone added weight to a merkur HD type razor?

Question, Shane: how much more weight would you like? I've got two Merkur slants on order (a 37c as well as a long handled 39 Barber Pole) with the idea of re-handling them. I don't know of anyone who's done it (although I could be wrong), but I think I have a pretty good idea about how to do it. We'll see how it goes.

2 513
 07-02-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
I would also like to know, since i am also having one merkur 37c and feel that it should be heavier.

1 495
 07-03-2014, 03:26 AM
User Info
(07-02-2014, 09:51 AM)buddingshaver Wrote: I would also like to know, since i am also having one merkur 37c and feel that it should be heavier.

According to the UPS website, my order's scheduled to arrive on the ninth. It'll probably take a few days thereafter to get to this, but I'll post as soon as I have it figured out.

Update: the challenge with the 37c is that there's not a lot of room to work with; so we're not going to be able to add a lot of weight (you might consider the 39c if you don't mind the longer handle.) That said: I'm working on two possible solutions: (1) fit a 1.25" (~32mm) length of 5mm brass or nickel silver rod into the hole at the base of the handle (not too much or you won't get the head back on) or (2) if you don't mind some extra thickness, re-handle with something like tru-stone. Of course, you could do both...

2 513
 07-21-2014, 03:13 PM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 12:06 PM)5stringdog Wrote: I have an extra handle since I put a bulldog handle on my 41, I'm going to fill mine with hot lead from the tackle shop and see what happens. Talk about adding weight and keeping the factory look. Thanks for this information.

Rather than mess with hot lead @ 600 deg. or so, I've found it easier--not to mention a lot less exciting--to simply fill the handle with birdshot then pour a little 5-minute epoxy over everything to hold the shot in place. I'm doing that with my wooden re-handing jobs as well. Easy and quick...

2 513
 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
User Info
Both of these ideas sound great to me.

24 1,150
 11-15-2014, 01:28 PM
User Info
Some really great ideas here. I too like a handle with weight, and I think that some additional weight would have even more impact on my VERY short Edwin Jagger Kelvin handle - only 76mm compared to the 100mm Grande handle. There might not be room for much, but lead is heavy stuff.

Just a note...if you use the bolt with a severed head/epoxy method, you would be best served by a bolt made of stainless steel, zinc, or something else non-corrosive, just to play it safe.
Euro

5 394
 11-17-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
anyone inserted weights in a merkur handle yet?

0 60