03-25-2012, 06:00 AM
User Info
DonTodd has a current post about neutral smelling aftershaves.

I have had a similar quest. I mostly use balms as aftershaves. In the warm weather they can be a little much.

I use Old Spice aftershave in conjunction with OS cologne. I like how the aftershave makes my face feel. But I don't want to wear it every day.

So like Todd I was on the look out for a lightly or non-scented aftershave I could wear with my other colognes.

I just tried Skin Bracer. I really liked how that left my face feeling. But it has a long lingering scent.

I was in Walmart yesterday. I always stop and look at their shaving supplies. They had a new Nivea after shave.

It is Nivea Energy After Shave Splash. As you can see in the pic it is a liquid. It has a faint scent which disappears as it drys. It in no way interferes with my cologne.

I like how this feels on my face. It was soothing when I applied it. It is non-sticky and non-greasy when dried.

I am thinking I will stock up on this.

I recommend this AS for those looking for one that won't clash with their cologne.

Phil

7 363
 03-25-2012, 07:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks for the heads up Phil.

173 23,535
 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Do you have its ingredients list, Phil?
Nivea have been selling a lotion like this in Europe for a long time,but it comes on a white carboard box and the bottle its white.

86 7,123
 03-25-2012, 07:56 AM
User Info
(03-25-2012, 07:44 AM)Teiste Wrote: Do you have its ingredients list, Phil?
Nivea have been selling a lotion like this in Europe for a long time,but it comes on a white carboard box and the bottle its white.

Teiste,
It is made in Germany

7 363
 03-25-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
I'll have to look for it. I wonder how it compares to Aqua Velva as far as keeping the skin in good shape, and lack of burn.

0 372
 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
User Info
I don't wear cologne all the time, but was looking for a neutral scented aftershave for when I do. Your post is most helpful, Phil. Thank you!

0 303
 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
Taurine is a pretty interesting ingredient to use in an AS. Maybe it'll give you more energy like Red Bull Biggrin

0 115
 03-25-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
Thanks for the heads up, Phil. I will definitely check this out.

4 112
 03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
  • PDB
User Info
I will have to give this a try. Does it leave your skin feeling as good as the Skin Bracer? I have been using Skin Bracer, and love it. I have not been wearing cologne with it, so something like this would be helpful. Thanks

0 31
 03-26-2012, 03:37 AM
User Info
So they FINALLY brought this over.... I have to go get a bottle now.

0 652
 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
(03-25-2012, 06:29 PM)PDB Wrote: I will have to give this a try. Does it leave your skin feeling as good as the Skin Bracer? I have been using Skin Bracer, and love it. I have not been wearing cologne with it, so something like this would be helpful. Thanks
PDB,
The Nivea Energy AS does not have menthol. So you dont get that initial chilling affect. But the Nivea leaves your face feeling just as good in my opinion. Mind you I am not a fan of the menthol blast.

The Nivea soothes and moisturizes without greasy feel. I like it and am really glad I stumbled across it.

Phil

7 363
 03-29-2012, 06:00 AM
User Info
So after using it, I'm not really sold on it, I'm not dismissing it just yet but really it does nothing more for my face than a splash of cold water...

Scent wise it reminds me of Brut's old Actif Blue, without the heavy citrus base notes, I won't dismiss it just yet but its not looking promising.

0 652
 03-29-2012, 08:50 AM
User Info
Aaron,
sorry to read you don't enjoy the Nivea. To me it is wonderful.
I had mentioned no menthol so there is menthol blast. Also lacking is an alcohol burn. I was never a fan of either of those sensations.
The Nivea is mild when applied. But it is soothing to my skin. And when it dries my skin feels great. Lastly it does not clash with my chosen cologne.

Those three items make this stuff a new fav of mine.

Phil

7 363
 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
Picked up a bottle while on the road last weekend at Walmart. Needed a splash, the Every Man Jack balm I took was a little oily on the dome at 90 degrees. It is nice. Sort of a modern scent, I like Speick, Musgo, and British Sterling better, but the LOTH really likes the scent. Not really any cooling to it, but when I want that I reach for the Alcolado Glacial.

It worked well for the trade show I was at. I don't like having much scent on in the booth, so it works great, by the time I finished breakfast the scent was mostly gone. I was using my La Toja stick, so I can't say how much moisturizing I got from it, but I would say it isn't bad. Only got three days testing so far, but it did not give my finicky skin any problems. I will be testing it out more next week, I am finishing off my QCS Celestial Woods, and I don't think this would go with it at all, since I get a lingering woodsy smell from the croap.

It is inexpensive enough, I would recommend people who like splashes to try this out. It was between the Adidas that Wally had, and the Nivea. I picked the Nivea because it had a simpler ingredient list. Both were in the mid $5 range, and I liked the glass bottle.

0 103
 04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I think I recall this discussion over the pond some time back - that it was a European only product destined for the US. Very intriguing! Thanks, Phil!

35 2,703
 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-25-2012, 07:44 AM)Teiste Wrote: Do you have its ingredients list, Phil?

I think this is the one that had been available in Europe. I had been unable to bring it over. Now that it is selling in Walmart, my chances are even less than before I think.

45 16,340
 04-05-2012, 10:37 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
My curiosity got the best of me I just picked it up at Walmart. For a good price too.

45 3,955
 04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I used the Nivea Energy today after my shave and I really liked it. It will be especially nice before work because my profession kind of disallows wearing colgne type scents. It's a nice light summer aftershave with not a lot of burn. I'll warn you if your looking for something with a lot of scent this isn't for you. Overall, it's a bargain for under 5 dollars.

45 3,955
 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
I wonder what, if anything, the taurine is supposed to do. What if my face gets wings and flies away?Hmm I think I'll have to see if I can try some anyway.

1 73
 04-06-2012, 06:14 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I doubt the Taurine does anything for skin but I'm not sure. I think its another example of the current marketing theme in so many products promising energy. They put that stuff in everything. The scary part is I'm sure there are a lot of people out here who will buy the aftershave thinking it will give them energy.

45 3,955