12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
Hello guys and merry Christmas and a happy new year.

My questio today is about brushes and traveling and what is the best way to travel with a brush that's not a travel brush how do you store it is what I'm asking

12 568
 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Many of the online vendors sell travel tubes with perforated caps to allow residual moisture to 'escape'. They are relatively inexpensive, usually $5-10.
A less expensive, and equally effective approach, is to modify a pill bottle i.e. with a few perforations on the cap.
It is imperative of course, to shake off as much moisture as possible and allow the brush to dry some before storing.

102 17,668
 12-16-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
Sounds like a great idea thanks

12 568
 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
Depends on whether you have enough time to dry out the brush before packing it away.

A small badger will dry pretty quickly. If you put a fan on it, under 12 hours. Heck, with a fan, even a Chubby dense brush will dry in under 12.

If the brush is damp, maybe you should consider not shaving that day. Otherwise, the perforations are the best option.

9 2,988
 12-16-2012, 08:35 PM
User Info
A good synthetic and a large pill dispenser/bottle with a few holes on the cap is a very easy and economical way to go.

75 20,883
 12-17-2012, 05:29 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
I agree with celestino here, a good synthetic (and you have a few to choose from) and some sort of holder. I bought the 'round, protective tube' from Mühle for €3 and it works well but a plastic pill dispenser/bottle would be fine. Mühle also sell a dedicated synthetic travel shaving brush where the handle unscrews and becomes the cover. Other manufacturers offer the same thing in Badger (EJ, Baxter, ToBS etc.)

Synthetic is a good choice though, as it dries quickly. It depends what you prefer.

0 132
 12-17-2012, 07:33 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I took my largest (26mm) Thater brush on a recent vacation in a Muhle travel tube. I don't believe in brushes just for travel. I also took along a Duke 1 in a Simpson case as a backup, but didn't use it.

0 204
 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM
User Info
Muhle travel tube. Great price, gives you lots of brush choices. I can travel with any of my brushes (of course, I don't have super huge brushes).

97 615
 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
User Info
I spend 1/2 to 2/3 of the year on the road including at least 1 or 2 trips overseas (i.e., long time for wet brushes in your luggage). Here are my considerations:

For context:

- Almost all my trips require a suitcase that is too large to carry on, so I do pack a DE and blades.

- I do lose things, so I travel with low cost kit: $12 razor (Lord L6), $25 brush

- Morning routine on the road consists of 45-60 min exercise (usually run) prior to shower and shave, breakfast and a 7ish departure from hotel, so I don't have time to fool around with a "luxury" shave. I need fast and effective.

- My business travel requires daily shaving, even on travel days

With the above in mind I use:

- Cheap, but (for me) effective L6 razor. Added bonus, lightweight. I keep a 5-pack of blades in my travel toilet bag.
- Omega Tartini synthetic brush. Fast and effective lathermaker. About $25. Small, dries quickly and is sold with a travel tube and stand. How fast a brush dries matters on the day you check out. I normally have about 30 mins (breakfast) for brush to dry before I throw it in the suitcase and checkout. If the synthetic doesn't dry completely, no problem. It will clean up easily at home. I sometimes used a Wee Scot (until I left it in a hotel), but I'm not replacing that and would recommend a small synthetic over a wee scot or any natural brush--of course, you may not agree.
- Fast lathering stick. Lightweight, small, cheap. I've used Palmolive, Speick and now Arko only--because I have so many sticks to use up. No dishes, no palms, no time wasted fooling around getting the lather right, just rub on your wet face and lather with a medium wet brush--ready in about 10 seconds.
- Favorite cheap balm in small plastic container or just a cold water rinse. The range here can be pretty wide in price, but I prefer cheap stuff that works well but the scent quickly fades--I do travel on business and really don't want to smell like aftershave.
- Perhaps most important, don't forget some kind of styptic. I use an alum "pencil" as I pay attention to size and weight of everything I pack. You really don't want spots of blood on your collar when you have an important meeting at 8 AM.

0 140