12-17-2012, 02:06 PM
User Info
Hey Smile

I think we should have a thread for football fans here.
Not a thread for that sport where you use your hands 99/100 times and only actually kick to the 'ball' 1/100 times, that some weird guys call Football Wink

Why some call actual real football for SOCCER is beyond me, but as said this thread is for football fans.....

I'm thinking of the true genuine sport invented several 100 years before American Football was even thought of as a sport Rolleyes

Let's discuss our favorite teams, favorite players and ups and downs in the football world in this thread.

I'll start out by saying my favorite team is Manchester United - because my favorite goal keeper came to the club in the early 90's after Denmark won the European Championship. Also because I grew up watching English 1.st Division (now called Pemiere league) and I also enjoyed Eric Cantona and the way Manchester United played.
I also have another favorite team of mine, and it's called FC Barcelona - I mainly like them because of their playing style, and because they have 2 of my favorite players of all time on the squa. First Diego Armando Matadona, by me still considered the best player of all time in front of Pelé and Messi and then they also had Michael Laudrup on their team in the 90's. Laudrup was just my favorite player to watch in the 90's, I rank him talent wise up against players like Zinedine Zidane and Luis Figo - not because he is from Denmark, but because his talent was enormous and might I say, just a bit more talent than Figo had, on par with Zidane.

I watch football to enjoy the combinations and the overall way they play the game.

Why do you love the game of football ?

22 5,057
 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
+1 for the "true football" title Biggrin

EDIT: You will get a lot of spanking for saying anything bad about the American sport Tongue

88 4,233
 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM
User Info
I think what Messi did last might is just crazy.
He has now scored two goals in each of his last 8 games for Barcelona.

Since I'm also a Man U fan, I hope Chr Ronaldo will start to produce more goals and better play soon, but right now Messi is just in a class of his own.
Golden ball will be his in 2 weeks time, no one can threaten him, not Ronaldo, not Iniesta.......

With that said, I'm also really impressed with Van Persie in United. I though the guy was just a phenomenal box player, but his skills all around the pitch is almost Rooney like, sometimes even better than Rooney. This guy is the real deal - fantastic left foot, crazy good eye for the game and he just shoots on everything without even thinking.

I can see this guy still playing world class top top level into his 30's.......

I hope Man U buys James Rodriguez from FC Porto in the summer break and sell Nani.......anyone heard of this Protugese young player ?

22 5,057
 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM
User Info
i never thought about starting a thread like this, Claus. i may have to entertain a discussion with you on the greatest sport there is. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 12-18-2012, 10:00 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-17-2012, 02:06 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Why do you love the game of football ?

My true love of the beautiful game ended 29th May 1985, what my uncle saw first-hand that night will haunt him to his dying day... I never again got to go with him to watch Liverpool at Anfield, as he hasn't set foot near a football ground since that tragic day...

23 1,872
 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I keep up with Celtic, Borussa Dortmund, West Ham United, Arsenal, and Lyon. I don't have a team in Serie A or La Liga. I do enjoy watching Messi play. In the US, I'm strictly a Red Bulls fan because Thierry Henry is one of my favorite athletes of all time.

116 3,804
 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM
User Info
Haven't followed European Football since the demise of the original NASL. However, back then I did follow and go to Rowdies games (NOT to be confused with the current NASL or current Rowdies).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_R...80%931993)

129 6,685
 12-18-2012, 12:38 PM
User Info
I am a fan of Galatasaray.

The team won the UEFA cup defeating Arsenal and UEFA super cup by defeating Real Madrid at 2000.

This year, Galatasaray made to the second round of UEFA champions league and is the leader at Turkish league. Good season for us Biggrin

4 365
 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
At the moment I'm following the trouble at Inter Milan with Sneijder. Kind of curious where that will lead.

On national level I'm a fan of Feyenoord. I do not have an international team that I'm supporting, but I watch the Champions League and the Europe League with great interest!

5 447
 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
(12-18-2012, 10:00 AM)mikeperry Wrote: My true love of the beautiful game ended 29th May 1985, what my uncle saw first-hand that night will haunt him to his dying day... I never again got to go with him to watch Liverpool at Anfield, as he hasn't set foot near a football ground since that tragic day...

Sorry to hear that Mike; it was a tragic day for the whole of football as was Hillsborough a few years later.

32 638
 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-18-2012, 01:31 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Sorry to hear that Mike; it was a tragic day for the whole of football as was Hillsborough a few years later.

Hi Andy

I still clearly remember sitting down that night to watch the match with my dad on the TV, only for both of us to sit there in total silence as the (horrific) events unfolded...

Hillsborough made me sick to my stomach, football is truly a beautiful game (just watch someone like Messi or Rolando in full flow), but events like those mentioned ended my love (obsession) with football...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM
User Info
Wow, Mike, i can not even imagine the shock you must have went through as a child! Wow!

75 20,883
 12-19-2012, 11:46 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Saw this today on The Guardian web site, Falcão spinning backheel futsal free-kick...

23 1,872
 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
(12-18-2012, 04:30 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Andy

I still clearly remember sitting down that night to watch the match with my dad on the TV, only for both of us to sit there in total silence as the (horrific) events unfolded...

Hillsborough made me sick to my stomach, football is truly a beautiful game (just watch someone like Messi or Rolando in full flow), but events like those mentioned ended my love (obsession) with football...

Take care, Mike

I'm totally with you there Mike.

I can remember watching Heysel on TV that night as well with my Dad. It was a totally shocking evening.

Hillsborough became more of a tradgedy (if that is actually possible), when revelations of how the Police could have avoided it came to light earlier this year.

Thankfully, the High Court have seen fit to overturn the original inquest verdict today; hopefully the families can now get the justice they deserve.

Take care as well mate,

Andy

32 638
 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
User Info
Like most American males growing up in the 70's and 80's, I thought soccer was pretty boring. There were only 2 kids I knew of that played soccer in high school.

Then there was the moment that started my interest in the sport. In May of 2001 I was working in the United Arab Emirates. Al Ain to be exact. After a hot day at the job site, I came back to my hotel room, showered up, and headed to the bar to have several pints of Guinness.

The bar was near empty when I arrived, but before that first pint was a fond memory, folks started pouring in the bar. Halfway through my second pint the place was packed and all eyes were starting to turn towards the large screen television. It seems there was some championship football match going on and the bar was full of expats to watch the game.

I don't remember who was playing, or what championship it was, but I think they were both British teams playing. Two gents at the bar beside me asked me who I favored and when I told them I didn't care, and that I didn't like soccer, I first got a bit of flack, but then one told me that the reason I didn't like it, was because I didn't know how to watch it.

For the rest of the game, these two took it upon themselves, with my encouragement, to teach me about football. The enthusiasm and excitement in that small hotel bar equaled any other sporting event I had seen and by the end of the match, I had started liking the sport.

It wasn't long after that we were trying to get my youngest son to play soccer in the local rec league but he refused. At 6 years old, he was always nervous about trying something new. Finally I got him to agree to play, IF I agreed to be the coach.

Long story short, I've now coached what I estimate to be 16 seasons over 11 years. First my older boy and now my younger boy. My youngest had shown quite a bit of talent, particularly at GK and I'm now entering my 3rd year coaching him on a traveling team. The nice thing about coaching the traveling team, is now I'm getting paid for it. Really though, it's the kids who make it worth doing. I love teaching kids.

In that time I've watched a lot, read a lot, and really have come a long way to the point where I think I do a pretty good job coaching. My downfall, having never played the game, is that I'm limited in the skills I can show them. I can teach them tactics and strategy all day, but now at U11, they're starting to surpass my skills.

0 836
 12-19-2012, 10:12 PM
User Info
Pat, great story, my friend! You have fallen in love with a great activity. Good luck with the coaching.

75 20,883
 12-19-2012, 11:41 PM
User Info
Lovely story, my friend Smile

I admit, that I have at watched several 1000 boring football games in my life, and now I focus on watching when my fav teams play and they are my fav teams not because I just like the teams and their spirit, but because of the way they plays.

If my fav teams changed their playing style radically, I would consider watching other teams. I'm not one of those blind extremist football hooligans that live and die by their teams. I love my teams because of their playing style.

I like attacking and technical skilled football and hate teams that play defensive and boring.

By the way, I have tried hard to understand and watch NFL for 2-3 years now, and I still don't get it........I really have tried. Have probably watched maybe 30-40 full matches and maybe 100 parts of matches.....

Still don't quite get it......probably never will Tongue
Just like baseball, you have to grow up with it to understand it can be a sport..... Biggrin

I enjoy attacking football and the way Laudrup thinks football. Therefore I enjoy Swansea now. Attacking football with pretty mediocre players, (Michu is not mediocre at the moment though)

I dislike watching my own national team play, because we have very little talent in the squad and the game we play is boring as hell......

I watch it to be entertained, not just to watch it......

NB Please don't use the term Soccer, it hurts my brain Wink Tongue

(12-19-2012, 07:49 PM)5Savages Wrote: Like most American males growing up in the 70's and 80's, I thought soccer was pretty boring. There were only 2 kids I knew of that played soccer in high school.

Then there was the moment that started my interest in the sport. In May of 2001 I was working in the United Arab Emirates. Al Ain to be exact. After a hot day at the job site, I came back to my hotel room, showered up, and headed to the bar to have several pints of Guinness.

The bar was near empty when I arrived, but before that first pint was a fond memory, folks started pouring in the bar. Halfway through my second pint the place was packed and all eyes were starting to turn towards the large screen television. It seems there was some championship football match going on and the bar was full of expats to watch the game.

I don't remember who was playing, or what championship it was, but I think they were both British teams playing. Two gents at the bar beside me asked me who I favored and when I told them I didn't care, and that I didn't like soccer, I first got a bit of flack, but then one told me that the reason I didn't like it, was because I didn't know how to watch it.

For the rest of the game, these two took it upon themselves, with my encouragement, to teach me about football. The enthusiasm and excitement in that small hotel bar equaled any other sporting event I had seen and by the end of the match, I had started liking the sport.

It wasn't long after that we were trying to get my youngest son to play soccer in the local rec league but he refused. At 6 years old, he was always nervous about trying something new. Finally I got him to agree to play, IF I agreed to be the coach.

Long story short, I've now coached what I estimate to be 16 seasons over 11 years. First my older boy and now my younger boy. My youngest had shown quite a bit of talent, particularly at GK and I'm now entering my 3rd year coaching him on a traveling team. The nice thing about coaching the traveling team, is now I'm getting paid for it. Really though, it's the kids who make it worth doing. I love teaching kids.

In that time I've watched a lot, read a lot, and really have come a long way to the point where I think I do a pretty good job coaching. My downfall, having never played the game, is that I'm limited in the skills I can show them. I can teach them tactics and strategy all day, but now at U11, they're starting to surpass my skills.

22 5,057
 12-19-2012, 11:53 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Claus, I think Denmark does a decent job in Football. It's all about the coach and cohesion in the group. Look what happened to my country at the EC 2012. A team full of great players, but no cohesion at all.

I've played myself (just for fun) from my fifth untill my 18th. I had to quit then since I had a herniated disc. A bit young, I know. But the doctor told me to never play again. Since then I only watch, but I miss it. So I might start playing futsal as there is no body contact allowed. I will not ask the doctor though Biggrin

5 447
 12-20-2012, 08:17 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-19-2012, 12:41 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Hillsborough became more of a tradgedy (if that is actually possible), when revelations of how the Police could have avoided it came to light earlier this year.

Thankfully, the High Court have seen fit to overturn the original inquest verdict today; hopefully the families can now get the justice they deserve.

Hi Andy

I've not been following along with all the events this year surrounding Hillsborough, but what I've read, seen, a number of people (not just those in the police force) should be totally ashamed of their involvement in what took place that day and will now finally! answer for their actions...

Take care, Mike

(12-19-2012, 07:49 PM)5Savages Wrote: It wasn't long after that we were trying to get my youngest son to play soccer in the local rec league but he refused....

Hi Pat

That's a nice story, that's still unfolding...

My wife keeps telling me I will be coaching football within the next year or two, once Beta son is old enough to join a team (Alpha son has zero interest in sport). I keep telling her there's no chance of that happening, but she's convinced once I see Beta son playing I won't be able to stop myself...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-20-2012, 08:49 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I'm a fan of my hometown club: FC Porto

Winner of most national championships of the last 3 decades.
We have had some good international results too. We won the Champions League in 1987 and 2004. Won the Uefa Cup/Liga Europa in 2003 and 2010.
We're a small budget club, but with a big heart.
We're on our way to the CL last 16 round. Malaga's next in February. Should be tough, but I'm confident we'll pass to the quarter finals.

4 313