12-17-2012, 06:11 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
After being sent a WSP Stubby, I've checked out my other brushes and note that some have glue bumps in the knot and some don't.

I'm wondering what the purpose if the glue bump is - isit an integral part of the brush design or is it caused because of another factor?

The second question I have is around the practice of combing knots. I've read threads where people do this and wonder whether it is beneficial to the knot in any way, or whether any damage could potentially be caused to the knot by the use of a comb?

Also, if a comb can safely be used, what type of comb is best?

32 638
 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
It is my understanding that all brushes have a glue bump. Some are noticeable above the handle while others are sunk low enough that you can't feel it. Does it equate to quality, that's for others to decide. I personally prefer knots without a noticeable glue bump.

I don't know much about combing though.

31 7,914
 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
(12-17-2012, 06:28 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: It is my understanding that all brushes have a glue bump. Some are noticeable above the handle while others are sunk low enough that you can't feel it. Does it equate to quality, that's for others to decide. I personally prefer knots without a noticeable glue bump.

Well, 99% of all knots have glue bumps. Knots made the Plisson or Vie Long way don't. My understanding of their creation is that the hairs are tied and then directly glued into the handle. Skipping the plug step.

But 100% of knots made with plugs have the glue bump. It is an integral part of the knot serving to give it its form & shape.

That said, you get rid of it by sinking the knot deeper into the handle.

As for question #2,
Actually yes, I think it is bad for the knot. Reason being that by combing it, you can break the hair by the combing process. Other than that, no detriment.

This can be avoided if you don't try to comb through tangled hair. However, that kind of defeats the purpose no?

9 2,988
 12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
(12-17-2012, 06:11 PM)ajc347 Wrote: The second question I have is around the practice of combing knots. I've read threads where people do this and wonder whether it is beneficial to the knot in any way, or whether any damage could potentially be caused to the knot by the use of a comb?

indeed you can safely comb to untangle and freshen your brush. just make sure you use a comb with properly spaced teeth.

comb used by mühle:

comb used by mühle:

professional comb made for brushes and sold by manufactum:

manufactum (in german - with descriptions and reviews)

manufactum (in english)

7 1,625
 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM
User Info
(12-17-2012, 07:41 PM)tonsorius Wrote:
(12-17-2012, 06:11 PM)ajc347 Wrote: The second question I have is around the practice of combing knots. I've read threads where people do this and wonder whether it is beneficial to the knot in any way, or whether any damage could potentially be caused to the knot by the use of a comb?

indeed you can safely comb to untangle and freshen your brush. just make sure you use a comb with properly spaced teeth.

comb used by mühle:

comb used by mühle:

professional comb made for brushes and sold by manufactum:

manufactum (in german - with descriptions and reviews)

manufactum (in english)

Thanks. I will look into getting one of those.

1 2,827
 12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
User Info
(12-17-2012, 07:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(12-17-2012, 06:28 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: It is my understanding that all brushes have a glue bump. Some are noticeable above the handle while others are sunk low enough that you can't feel it. Does it equate to quality, that's for others to decide. I personally prefer knots without a noticeable glue bump.

Well, 99% of all knots have glue bumps. Knots made the Plisson or Vie Long way don't. My understanding of their creation is that the hairs are tied and then directly glued into the handle. Skipping the plug step.

But 100% of knots made with plugs have the glue bump. It is an integral part of the knot serving to give it its form & shape.

That said, you get rid of it by sinking the knot deeper into the handle.

As for question #2,
Actually yes, I think it is bad for the knot. Reason being that by combing it, you can break the hair by the combing process. Other than that, no detriment.

This can be avoided if you don't try to comb through tangled hair. However, that kind of defeats the purpose no?

Thanks for the correction Lee. Smile

31 7,914