12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
User Info
In the past I would have one SE blade in circulation among my various SE razors, and the same with DE; I would change razors every day using the same blade. It worked fine and satisfied my desire for variety. Recently I had an eye opener regarding a certain SE razor and was convinced on another forum to use the razor for one week to really learn the razor. That meant using one blade from infancy to old age in one razor. Gents, that was an eye opener.

I'm considering doing this with most every blade. Install it in one razor, use it from cradle to grave in the same razor, and really learn the razor. Of course I reserve the right to swap blades between razors as I've always done, but I'm thinking that will be kept to a minimum from now on, at least for a time.

Does anyone else do this, or have I just been living in a cave and most everyone uses their razors and blades in this manner?

32 6,309
 12-17-2012, 09:11 PM
User Info
I never switch blades between razors...once the blade goes in a razor, its there until the end. Also, I usually will use one razor until the blade expires before using another, unless I'm getting a crappy shave from that razor at which time its benched for a few games.

5 938
 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
So far I haven't ever changed a blade from razor to razor... Never thought to do that really...

5 1,151
 12-17-2012, 10:21 PM
User Info
(12-17-2012, 09:11 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: I never switch blades between razors...once the blade goes in a razor, its there until the end. Also, I usually will use one razor until the blade expires before using another, unless I'm getting a crappy shave from that razor at which time its benched for a few games.

(12-17-2012, 09:28 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: So far I haven't ever changed a blade from razor to razor... Never thought to do that really...

+1 Same here!

75 20,883
 12-17-2012, 10:37 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The only time I switch blade from razor to razor is if I become bored with a setup. This has only occurred for me a few times and mostly with single edge razors. Not because they don't give good shaves, but because I wanted to try different razors and the stainless GEM razor blades seem to go on forever. The other standout experience was with the Schick Krona, I wasn't getting a good shave with the Super Max blade I had loaded so I switched to a Feather and still struggled to achieve a real close shave.

I have found that sticking with one razor and one blade at a time allows me to refine my technique for that setup and by the third shave I am usually pretty happy with the results. Other than the Krona the only other razor I have struggled with was a single ring old type that gave good close shaves at the cost of a few layers of epidermis. I will revisit that razor later, but no use slowly removing my face when I can grab the Merkur and get BBS with nearly any blade every time.

127 2,376
 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM
User Info
I have on occasion used a blade in multiple razors, but I usually do not. I tend to dump blades before they are "end of life". Most blades get dumped after 2 uses and I use Super Iridiums for 4 shaves. One of the reasons for my return to traditional DE shaving is the fact blades are dirt cheap so I can replace them frequently and not worry about them getting the least bit dull.

There are some blades which for me are good for one use only (e.g. Merkur).

129 6,685
 12-17-2012, 10:41 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I just use it in one razor.

1 265
 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM
User Info
Blade goes in, blade stays in for the week, blade goes out. Only times I've moved a blade between razors was when I had one (1) sample blade and want to try it in multiple razors (solution; buy two sample packs instead of one!)

Part of it is me being lazy, part is that I cut myself once on a razor and that was plenty enough.

3 3,561
 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM
User Info
Wow! Seven days with one blade??? By day 4 I am getting razor burn with almost any blade.

129 6,685
 12-17-2012, 11:50 PM
User Info
I don't shave every day, that's the big secret Tongue

3 3,561
 12-18-2012, 03:13 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Once I load a blade into a razor, I use that combo until the blade is dead, but add variety with a different brush and cream each day. But as others have said, I have pulled a blade from a razor if I want to bail on that razor for some reason, and I have had two razors loaded at the same time.

I used to be really anal with tracking my rotation. Each morning I log and rate the shave in an iphone app I created. However, I stopped doing this a few months ago. I didn't really gain anything from doing it and the morning ritual (which also included logging my nutritional info, which I still do) needed to be eased.

33 914
 12-18-2012, 04:59 AM
User Info
I use the razor until the blade is retired, 3-4 shaves for DE, 95% of the time. Very rarely do I switch blades to another razor.

I also do not have more than one DE razor/blade combo going at once, simply due to forgetting how many times I have used a blade. That could change once my new razor stand is built.

I do have SE in rotation at the same time though due to the number of uses per blade. I don't log the number of times I have used the SE blade though, it's just a rough estimate.

31 1,800
 12-18-2012, 05:00 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I too will only use one blade in one razor until I am finished with the blade. I don't use blades until they expire either.

I'd rather keep a variety of razors and blades in a fairly quick rotation and will toss a blade if I am done using a particular razor.

I should probably be more frugal and conservative but as mentioned and thankfully, blades are inexpensive and I love the daily adventure of changing out the hardware and the software.

6 905
 12-18-2012, 05:05 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I use the same blade till it's used up regardless of razor. A single Astra might see use in a Slim, Weber, Tradere, or whatever else I'm using.

116 3,804
 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM
User Info
Exactly...

Double Edge,Single Edge,Injector or Feather Artist Clubs...It's really about the blade isn't it ? The blade's the constant in the equation.

The variables of weight,balance,blade exposure etc,etc are in the razor so It makes good sense to me to stay with a razor for a week or more often 2 weeks and learn it well.

I'm fortunate to have found GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Single Edge blades and Shick injector blades to have outstanding longevity,I'm able to get many shaves per blade.

This translates into the ability to enjoy a leisurely tryst through the blade's relatively long life revealing the razor's subtleties and true potential.

7 414
 12-18-2012, 08:19 AM
User Info
(12-18-2012, 04:59 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: I also do not have more than one DE razor/blade combo going at once, simply due to forgetting how many times I have used a blade. That could change once my new razor stand is built.

This is one of the reasons I only do two shaves with any given blade (Polsilver aside). If there is no blade in the razor when I grab it, I pop in a blade and leave it in after I am finished. If there is a blade in a razor (50% chance) I toss it after I use it. I'm also assured of a close irritation-free shave every time since the blade remains sharp.

129 6,685
 12-18-2012, 09:26 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-18-2012, 03:13 AM)MikekiM Wrote: Once I load a blade into a razor, I use that combo until the blade is dead, but add variety with a different brush and cream each day...

Ditto!

23 1,872
 12-18-2012, 11:08 AM
User Info
I like a sharp blade so I only use them twice. If the blade is already in the razor that day then I know to throw it out after the shave.

0 12
 12-18-2012, 12:41 PM
User Info
Once I put a blade in a DE razor it stays until it is discarded. I always thought the more you handle it the more chance of dinging it. With SE's I would take it out to hone and strop it once every week or two.

2 697
 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I blade per razor, until it is dead or I get tired of that razor blade combo. Then a new blade in same razor, or different razor, different blade etc...

14 1,177