12-18-2012, 08:20 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have recently bought a G5 scuttle from GP. Mine is in Hamada glaze. It's a pretty piece of pottery, but I am a little disappointed by its performance. First of all, the piece I received is a bit different from the picture on the GP website. The bowl in mine has less of a ridge to keep the lather in and has a different pattern inside. Not a huge deal, but I feel the one pictured on the website is nicer. Also, the glaze has some imperfections and a lot of "orange peel" texture which I did not capture in the pictures below. All these are minor flaws that I would not even mention if the scuttle performed well. Alas, it does not keep the lather warm for long. I normally do 3-4 passes and the scuttle does keep the lather from going totally cold, but it does not keep it warm. Still, it's better than no scuttle in these cold days because the lather does not get so cold I can feel the shock of it on my skin, which is the case if I do not use a scuttle. Still, I had an opportunity to try a traveling scuttle from the other forum and it was a much more basic unit with a smaller bowl, but it kept the lather and my brush actually warmer than my skin. Not hot, I neither like nor expect hot lather, but slightly warmer than the skin is very nice. G5 keeps the lather around the skin temperature so it does work to not have a shockingly cold brush on the face, but it definitely lacks the performance of a scuttle I tried before. I ordered a DB scuttle, but had to cancel the order because it wasn't going to come until mid to end of January and G5 came two weeks ago. So, I am happy with it in general as it has a really nice bowl shape to it and it's not huge (I don't have a lot of room in the nook), but its performance could be improved. I do fill it with hot water and let it sit to warm up while my brush is soaking and I am brushing teeth and preparing my shave. Then I dump the water and fill with fresh hot water from the tap. My tap water is not super hot, but as I said, the other scuttle worked fine with it. I think there was more water capacity in that one. Anyway, if you are considering a G5, I would say spend the extra money and go for the DB or the G20, neither of which I tried, but I hear real good things about. G5 is okay and it certainly has a very nice bowl to it and if you have convenient access to real hot water it would probably work much better, but for me its performance is average at best. Still, it's a heavy, well-made piece of pottery.

Here are the pictures:

25 1,705
 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM
User Info
I have had a similar experience with my G5. When they moved from the G4 to the G5, they increased the water reservoir volume but decreased the bowl size, so it's too small for some of my brushes - not a great tradeoff. I find that it keeps water warm enough if I fill it with warm tap water and microwave it for 60 seconds.

184 12,003
 12-18-2012, 09:30 AM
User Info
While I cannot speak for the G4 / G5 differences, I will say that as far as the coloring / glaze every single piece is different. My GP scuttle does not look like the one I saw on the site. Neither do any of my DB scuttles.

129 6,685
 12-18-2012, 09:30 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(12-18-2012, 09:25 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I have had a similar experience with my G5. When they moved from the G4 to the G5, they increased the water reservoir volume but decreased the bowl size, so it's too small for some of my brushes - not a great tradeoff. I find that it keeps water warm enough if I fill it with warm tap water and microwave it for 60 seconds.

Sounds right. It needs a boost from just the hot tap water. I do not own a microwave and even if I did, I would find it too much trouble to nuke the scuttle for my shave. As it is my shaving ritual is way more drawn out than most people's (not on this forum, but we are in minority). I can always boil some water in the kettle and use that, but the same applies. Too much trouble. The other scuttle I tried worked fine with just tap water, but it had a smaller bowl, which is fine with me as I am a face latherer and use the scuttle to keep the brush warm.

25 1,705
 12-18-2012, 09:36 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The glaze texture is just one of those things that happens. There's not much control over it, besides throwing away every piece that comes out with a less than glassy smooth finish. And if potters did that, their prices would probably go up another 30-50% to make up for the wasted materials, gas/electricity, and time.

Certain glazes are more prone to it than others, though. But don't ask me which ones or why, because I'm just a spectator. Smile

10 1,858
 12-18-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
BTW, I think your G5 is stunning.

129 6,685
 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I understand about the yield issues and accept the minor imperfections. As I mentioned in the first post, I would not even mention them if the functionality was top notch. But it's not. It is a real nice looking piece and it works okay, but it's not a super performer. I never tried a DB scuttle, but it looks like it may hold more water and thereby have greater heating capacity. Again, I am not sure since I have not tried a DB, but I read a lot of positive things about them. They also look great. At some point I will try a DB. Just not able to spend the funds right now.

Thanks for the compliments. It's a beautiful piece of pottery.

25 1,705
 12-18-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
I just checked and mine too is the G5. The G20 was created to hold heat longer but it is considerably larger. The more heat you want a scuttle to hold, the larger the water reservoir needs to be. Many nooks cannot take such large scuttles. I have an Estemoz scuttle which holds lather hot for ages, but it too large for my use.

129 6,685
 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The thickness of the outer wall affects how long it will hold heat as well. The stoneware, with its tiny pockets inside, acts as a sort of insulator.

Based on a cutaway section I saw of a Georgetown scuttle, his are fairly uniform between the inside and outside. So it's as likely to loose heat through the outside as through the lather bowl.

10 1,858
 12-18-2012, 12:33 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Yep, I think the design could be improved by making the bowl out of thinner material than the outer shell. The heat transfer would favor the bowl in that case. I wonder how the DB original (one piece, not the larger DB 1.5 two piece) does. I really use mine for a brush scuttle so a large bowl is not important to me. The same G5 with a smaller bowl would allow more water to be held inside. I would be fine with that. I also heard that purpose built brush scuttles are not so great in terms of performance. Anyway, the G5 is beautiful, has a very nice bowl to it and could probably be better if used with hotter water.

25 1,705
 12-19-2012, 05:19 AM
User Info
The Hamada glaze is my favorite that GP offers! Before I ordered my Robert Becker scuttle I almost bought a G20 in Hamada.

0 24
 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Beautiful scuttle. Fill it up with tab water and nuke it for 70 seconds. Leave the water in it and proceed as normal. Your lather should stay nice and warm/hot for 3-4 passes with no trouble.

100 12,442
 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(12-19-2012, 07:49 AM)slantman Wrote: Beautiful scuttle. Fill it up with tab water and nuke it for 70 seconds. Leave the water in it and proceed as normal. Your lather should stay nice and warm/hot for 3-4 passes with no trouble.

I do not own a microwave (got rid of my last one several years ago and do not miss it), but even if I did I would not schlep my scuttle from my den to the kitchen. As it is, my shaving ritual is way more elaborate than most people's bath. My tap water is pretty hot, but not crazy. The lather doesn't stay warm, but at least it's not cold either. It's just about the same temperature as skin on my face, so there is not much difference when I bring the brush to the face. That's good enough right now, but as I said, the traveling scuttle I tried kept the lather a bit warmer and it was very pleasant to actually feel warmth on the skin. It is December in New England, after all.

25 1,705
 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
I thought everyone had one of those $59 mini microwaves in their shave den for scuttle heating. [Image: smiley-laughing004.gif]

129 6,685
 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(12-19-2012, 09:41 AM)wingdo Wrote: I thought everyone had one of those $59 mini microwaves in their shave den for scuttle heating. [Image: smiley-laughing004.gif]

SWMBO said no microwaves in the house. We cook our own food and re-heat it in cast iron skillets.

I need to smuggle one of them scuttle microwaves in and hide it under the vanity or something... Smile Or better yet, we need a scuttle model with built-in microwave!

25 1,705
 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(12-19-2012, 09:47 AM)vferdman Wrote:
(12-19-2012, 09:41 AM)wingdo Wrote: I thought everyone had one of those $59 mini microwaves in their shave den for scuttle heating. [Image: smiley-laughing004.gif]

SWMBO said no microwaves in the house. We cook our own food and re-heat it in cast iron skillets.

I need to smuggle one of them scuttle microwaves in and hide it under the vanity or something... Smile Or better yet, we need a scuttle model with built-in microwave!

Okay heat up some water in a kettle and then pour it into the scuttle. Same as nuking it only takes longer. Problem solved.

100 12,442
 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(12-19-2012, 10:21 AM)slantman Wrote: Okay heat up some water in a kettle and then pour it into the scuttle. Same as nuking it only takes longer. Problem solved.

Well, the problem is solved, but by creating more problems. Boil water, carry hot kettle to the nook, which, as I mentioned is not large, mess with hot boiling water form the kettle, schlep the hot boiling kettle back to the kitchen, etc. All in cold morning just out of bed. I would rather just put up with less than warm lather. At some point if a gadget takes too much trouble to make it work as intended one must just blame the gadget and not make more work for oneself to justify the gadget's existence.

I think the problem would be much better solved by a scuttle with better heat transfer characteristics. It's not impossible. I know because I tried a scuttle that worked fine with the tap water I have handy in my den and no need for other equipment.

This is the point of this thread. To let people know that G5 is not the greatest choice if you do not have a source of very hot water handy or are content with not very warm lather.

25 1,705
 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I'll use a GTP brush scuttle on occasion, as I find my DB1.5 too big for our single bathroom bungalow. I'm actually waiting to move to a larger home this coming year in hopes the DB will serve me better in a more modern sized bathroom.

135 1,946
 12-20-2012, 04:06 AM
User Info
I had a Georgtown G5 and gave it away. It was undoubtedly a lovely piece of pottery (hamada/blue) but what I wanted was really a "heated bucket." I use big brushes and I like an avalanche of lather. It just didn't have the capacity I was after. More water = warmer lather longer. I'd have happily kept it if space was an issue.

I bought a D. Bird and couldn't be more pleased. I have the room (they're really big).

2 202
 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM
User Info
I have had two G5s and disposed of both...just did not work for me.

Ed

19 697