12-18-2012, 10:48 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1260129.JPG?m=1355854915]

Rooney Finest badger hair have become in one of those "mystical" badger hairs , due to the fact that is not longer available , and also its characteristics.

This is the first time I have tried a Rooney Finest badger brush , and , let me tell you that is not what I was expecting at all.

[Image: P1260130.JPG?m=1355854916]

This brush comes with the most gorgeous and comfortable handle I have ever tried.Well , I have tried this handle style in the past , with some color changes , but the Rooney 1 style 2 (medium) handle , is for me , the best handle ever made , both in style and its comfort ability to hold.The horn handle imitation is the best color for this handle (IMHO , of course).

[Image: P1260131.JPG?m=1355854916]

This brush has the following (approx) measures :
  • 24 mm knot
  • 52 mm loft
  • 48 mm handle height
  • 100 mm total height

which makes it a medium size brush , having almost the perfect size for my preferences.

This brush is very well packed with Finest badger hair , a rare two band hair , which , according to Rooney's information :

Quote:The finest badger hair is picked from the back of a rare breed of a long haired species of badger, only found in more remote areas of China. This hair is alot more expensive as it is of a limited supply and consequently more expensive as a raw material.

In the making of this fine brush you waste nearly half of the badger hair in the production process which is also an expensive overhead.
Finest hair is of similar grade to what Rooney's used to make their special brushes when they first started.
Barger hair classification by the different brush makers.

I can tell you that this hair is very resilient , much more than many 2 band badger hairs I have tried so far.However , I was surprised about the huge glue bump which this brush has , since I never experienced either a Rooney brush with such huge glue bump.

As I said , this is a very densely packed shaving brush , as you can see in this pic , basically as dense as a Simpson Tulip 3 Manchurian :

[Image: P1260133.JPG?m=1355854917]

This brush makes lather just by showing itself on the bathroom counter : the resilient bristles , the high hair density , the thickness of the hair and tips which aren't soft ,makes this brush a perfect tool to make lather in no time.

Its backbone is very strong , while the flow is not there.I think that a lower glue bump which have decreased the firmness of the backbone , but would have improved its flow , but thats my theory and I could be wrong.

[Image: P1260132.JPG?m=1355854916]

Maybe my skin have been exposed to cold too much yesterday , but I felt this brush kind of harsh with it , while making lather on my face today (circular strokes , of course).It was unpleasant , I must say , and my skin its kind of red right now.Its not like unpleasant like with some kind of badger hairs , like pure badger , but almost.This hair feels scratchy, and pokes , once in a while.It also feels like a "wall" of badger hair on the face.

I need to try this brush again to reach a better idea.Maybe , as I said , my skin wasn't prepared enough for it.But I just think that if you spend a lot of money on a brush , at least , I want soft tips...maybe my excellent experienced with the Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XL super badger two band gave me the wrong idea about how soft the tips of this finest badger hair could be.The Stubby super badger two band was such a pleasure to use , and this one is pretty far away from it , but again , I need to test it more.The brush have been very well softened , so I don't think that is the problem either.

So far , not very impressed with the hair. I will see on my next shaves how it behaves and I'll report back.

86 7,123
 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
Teiste: You're not alone. I had two of them - I sold the 2XL-sized one almost immediately because it was too scratchy, but I still have the giant 33mm "Chubby". It's such a big, beautiful brush that I keep hoping it will further soften up over time. It has softened up somewhat, but so far, not enough to suit my tastes. I'm giving it another week or two and if it's still too stiff, I'm gonna sell it.

66 692
 12-18-2012, 04:24 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Teiste, I have the exact same brush (see my SOTD for yesterday) and it's one of my favourites!

All the Rooney Finest feature some sensation and IMO are similar to Simpsons Manchurian, in that the strength of the hair provides resistance against the skin offering sensation, unlike for example a lower grade and/or cut hair that scratches away at the face as a result of it's coarseness . It is the sensation that I enjoy. I have sensitive skin, so I don't enjoy anything harsh or abrasive. I've noticed they soften a little with use. Also the longer lofted Rooney Finest provide a more gentle experience.

91 17,857
 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
User Info
Great review Teiste, and what a gorgeous brush!

How would you compare Rooney Finest to Simpson Manchurian in regards to scritch and face feel?

63 2,128
 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Very interesting...thanks for another fascinating review, Teiste.
I have heard that the Finest hair is pretty scratchy and not soft. But, as you say, it is almost mythical because of the scarcity. They certainly fetch a pretty penny on the forums when they do come up!

52 788
 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM
User Info
(12-18-2012, 04:24 PM)ben74 Wrote: All the Rooney Finest feature some sensation and IMO are similar to Simpsons Manchurian, in that the strength of the hair provides resistance against the skin offering sensation, unlike for example a lower grade and/or cut hair that scratches away at the face as a result of it's coarseness . It is the sensation that I enjoy. I have sensitive skin, so I don't enjoy anything harsh or abrasive. I've noticed they soften a little with use. Also the longer lofted Rooney Finest provide a more gentle experience.

Exactly my experience too. I have a dozen Finests, and only one or two are actually scratchy on my face.

184 12,003
 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I must have gotten one of the scratchiest ones , I guess. It wasn't very pleasant to use it this morning.

@ Cessnabird : unfortunately , I only have tried on Rooney Finest , but if I have to choose now , I will go for Simpson Manchurian : if you spend a lot of money on a brush , get the one with less scratchiness , and the Manchurian fits that category.

86 7,123
 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
User Info
(12-18-2012, 07:22 PM)Teiste Wrote: I must have gotten one of the scratchiest ones , I guess. It wasn't very pleasant to use it this morning.

@ Cessnabird : unfortunately , I only have tried on Rooney Finest , but if I have to choose now , I will go for Simpson Manchurian : if you spend a lot of money on a brush , get the one with less scratchiness , and the Manchurian fits that category.

Thanks for the input, I am still considering a Manchurian but have never had the urge to try a Finest due to the scritch.

63 2,128
 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-18-2012, 07:43 PM)cessnabird Wrote:
(12-18-2012, 07:22 PM)Teiste Wrote: I must have gotten one of the scratchiest ones , I guess. It wasn't very pleasant to use it this morning.

Thanks for the input, I am still considering a Manchurian but have never had the urge to try a Finest due to the scritch.

My friend , with the great brushes out there for less than 150 dollars (badger hair ones , I mean) , I totally understand that you don't want to get a Rooney Finest , either a Manchurian.Soft tips are very important to me , and so far , none of those two kind of badger hairs have provided me that.And when you have a brush like the VB , with extra soft tips , then , I dont know what to tell you...

86 7,123
 12-18-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
Thanks for the input, gents, and good review, Teiste.

75 20,883
 12-19-2012, 12:02 AM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I have a franks shaving brush with the same handle style in a black color handle and Finest hair. I love it. I think I paid under 30 bucks for it. Of course its not make in UK like the ROONEY. Very comfortable and best of all creates very good lather and is soft.

you can see a picture of it here

http://shavenook.com/thread-uk-bowl

1 265
 12-19-2012, 01:17 AM
User Info
(12-18-2012, 04:24 PM)ben74 Wrote: Teiste, I have the exact same brush (see my SOTD for yesterday) and it's one of my favourites!

All the Rooney Finest feature some sensation and IMO are similar to Simpsons Manchurian, in that the strength of the hair provides resistance against the skin offering sensation, unlike for example a lower grade and/or cut hair that scratches away at the face as a result of it's coarseness . It is the sensation that I enjoy. I have sensitive skin, so I don't enjoy anything harsh or abrasive. I've noticed they soften a little with use. Also the longer lofted Rooney Finest provide a more gentle experience.

i have some finest brushes and my experience are exactly same as Ben . very well described thank you.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 369
 12-19-2012, 06:26 AM
User Info
(12-19-2012, 01:17 AM)melyus Wrote:
(12-18-2012, 04:24 PM)ben74 Wrote: Teiste, I have the exact same brush (see my SOTD for yesterday) and it's one of my favourites!

i have some finest brushes and my experience are exactly same as Ben . very well described thank you.

Beautiful brushes! BabeandoBabeando

4 365
 12-19-2012, 06:35 AM
User Info
Thank you Burak Smile

3 369