12-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Since the weather is getting colder here I noticed my shaves are not what I'm used to. It's getting harder to obtain the DFS/BBS shave. Almost feels like my stubble is 'harder'.

My usual prep is a face wash with the Proraso glycerin soap. After that I face lather and shave. I do not use a pre-shave cream or a pre-shave oil, nor do I shower before I shave as I shower in the evening and shave in the morning.

Would it make sense that whiskers are harder because of weather influence? I'm really curious if any of you have noticed this and as a result change your prep during the colder days?

I have a tub of Proraso pre/aftershave and will apply that tomorrow to see if I can feel any difference.

5 447
 12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
User Info
Nope, my prep stays the same all year. It consists of washing my face with warm water and a bar of Cetaphil. I do the same as you, shave in the morning and shower at night.

0 372
 12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've been using the same prep for over 50 years. I also shower at night and shave in the morning.

173 23,553
 12-18-2012, 01:03 PM
User Info
My post shave routine changes in the colder weather, thicker balm certain days, etc.

Regarding the whiskers being "harder", I would disagree with this as I cold water shave these days and find the shave is closer and much more comfortable than using hot water.

63 2,128
 12-18-2012, 01:13 PM
  • DoubleB
User Info
(12-18-2012, 01:03 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Regarding the whiskers being "harder", I would disagree with this as I cold water shave these days and find the shave is closer and much more comfortable than using hot water.

Hmm..that indeed is interesting as whiskers would probably soften less as with warm water

5 447
 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
User Info
I too find it odd. Also, my face feels less "exfoliated" post shave when cold water shaving. Huh

63 2,128
 12-18-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
Use soaps to shave with more than creams....don't know if there is a reason.

2 697
 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I find myself using balm after the shave more so rather than just my usual Proraso aftershave splash. Since I shave at night and I always shower before, I haven't noticed any greater toughness of my beard. In general if I don't shower before shaving my beard definitely feels a lot tougher, even if I soak my beard with a wet towel or use proraso pre-shave. I find a shower before shaving a very valuable tool to get a more comfortable shave.

14 870
 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
User Info
If your indoor humidity is falling as ours does in the winter it might make the hair shaft harder.

My prep changes not so much because of any shaving factor, but because the hot towel is just such a fantastic feeling for the face. Everything else about my shave remains the same, but since I have a kettle of water simmering on the back of the woodstove I use it to get my basin of water near or above 130°F. A towel soaked in that water, and some thin soap appied to the face combine for an "Ahhh" feel. I have no idea if it does anything for the shave, but it sure does a lot for the shaver, that'd be me. Biggrin When snow and ice is everywhere outside it's just an unbelieveably great animal feel to have the hot towel.

Post shave is more important to the shave for me though. I make sure to use a post shave treatment of a product with moisturizing qualities since our indoor air is so unbelieveably dry. You just can't imagine dry air of this magnitude and there's nothing reasonable that we can do for it. Hence, we treat the skin.

32 6,311
 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Regardless of the season, my only prep is a hot shower.

91 17,875
 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Mine stays the same.

45 3,955
 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
some minor growth difference occurs in summer vs winter growth rate. it's metabolism being faster in warm weather/longer sunlight and slower in colder weather/less sunlight. scientific fact. mostly for me, the regimen changes to accomodate the change in skin moisture, not any minor change in rate of whisker growth. depends on how drying/moistureizing the particular soap or cream is. and a bit more balm in dry weather.

0 1,291
 12-18-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
I've started using my scuttle more

12 568
 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I enjoy warmer lather when it's cold, otherwise prep is a hot shower and Proraso pre-shave.

16 545
 12-20-2012, 12:20 PM
  • DoubleB
User Info
Over the past 2 days I've been changing my routine a bit.

- Yesterday I applied Proraso Pre-Post cream before my shave. While the feeling was nice I did not notice any difference, good or bad, in the shave.

- Today I did not apply pre-shave, but I rubbed and massaged my lather in my whiskers for about 1 minute. This did make some positive difference! I had the feeling the razor was gliding easier and the shave was closer.

Tomorrow will be my last 'test' day, although I'm not testing fair since I change my setup every day. I'll apply Geo. F. Trumper Skinfood before the shave tomorrow. I'll let you guys know!

5 447
 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM
User Info
My prep is always the same, hot shower and shave (night)
The only difference is I usually use a balm in addition to AS. The balm goes on my entire face and forehead.

31 1,800
 12-21-2012, 06:20 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
+1 for this.
Otherwise, the usual wash with one of three specific pre-shave soaps, (Mr. Glo, RazoRock,or Prairie Creations) and then a hot towel x2 and/or Trumper's Skin Food.

(12-18-2012, 01:25 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Use soaps to shave with more than creams....don't know if there is a reason.

6 905
 12-26-2012, 07:22 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Prep stays the same, just a quick face wash with warm water and Neutrogena Facial Bar, but I switch my razor (and blade) from a Merkur 34G to a 40's style SuperSpeed. I find that the milder SS is better for my face in winter.

0 204