12-18-2012, 03:10 PM
User Info
I don't usually get myself involved in drama or post negative things about individuals or vendors, but this just rubs me the wrong way and I had to get it off my chest...

Let me make it clear that I am not trying to "taint" Ikons image nor am I trying to hurt their business, just stating the obvious that I saw on Facebook. They seemed to have de-friended me on Facebook after my comments regarding said posts.

Ikon posted a few comments yesterday on Facebook using pictures from the "stainless shootout" thread here on the nook stating "ours vs junk". Greg refers to ATT as Junk and that is not acceptable from a vendor. What happened to fair competition and gentlemanly behavior? Maybe Greg will post here and explain why he posted something so ignorant and unprofessional? I am not associated with either company of course but I just find it rude and uncalled for. It really bothers me when I see this type of behavior from a shaving vendor. I know this sort of thing happens daily in politics, and we see it on tv, but bashing another company openly in regards to shaving equipment just seems wrong. Maybe it is because we keep things so kind and sincere here on the board, it shocks me to see such "bad behavior " in the wet shaving world.

EDIT: Here is the link to their page, so you can see the posts for yourself and not just take my word for it. http://www.facebook.com/ikon.razors?ref=ts&fref=ts

71 2,238
 12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I couldn't agree with you more! I really do like and respect ikon products for the way they work. But this kind of tactic is unnecessary. It really diminishes the professionalism of iKon and I believe reflects poorly on them for doing so.

I think this might cost them more than the gain they were looking for. If a product is good enough it will speak for itself. As I recall, when iKon first started out they experienced growing pains also and things were not perfect. I think ATT is doing quite well considering they have just started out and for sure they could make some improvements, but for a start to be competing with some established brands right out of the gate is not too shabby I think!

These kinds of tactics should be left to politicians and hopefully Greg will give us some kind of explanation. Not because he has to, but hopefully because he wants to.

14 874
 12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is why I have absolutely nothing to do with facebook or any other site like them. Things can go viral there real quick and there is no moderation.

180 24,992
 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I agree Facebook can be a scourge. I'm just perplexed to why Greg would go to such lengths on such a public forum. "Why" is my biggest question...

14 874
 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The world would be a better place if all behaved appropriately and respectfully.

We adults often forget basic lessons and rules taught early in life. "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum is a great piece on this.

102 18,712
 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM
User Info
(12-18-2012, 04:13 PM)Agravic Wrote: The world would be a better place if all behaved appropriately and respectfully.

We adults often forget basic lessons and rules taught early in life. "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum is a great piece on this.

Well said! Smile

71 2,238
 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I don't have a problem with comparing your products to someone else's (including showing pictures illustrating the differences), but referring to a competitor's product as "junk" is rather unseemly--especially because ATT's razors are, by all accounts, excellent.
Also, those photos were from Samjax (Tom's) comparo here--does iKon have permission to copy and use those photos? Poor form if that is not the case. I believe Tom would have every right to demand that they be removed if he has not given permission.

61 861
 12-18-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
After I made some critical remarks about my iKon razor head on another forum, Greg banned me from purchasing from him on ebay. I had no issues with his handles, but IMO the head was a poor product. He has since closed his account, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I refuse to purchase any of his over-priced wares from any vendor.

18 595
 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I like iKon products but I'll agree that's tacky.

116 3,804
 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM
User Info
Not surprised

0 17
 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
This isn't the first time he's shown questionable behavior and I'm sure it won't be the last.
It's the primary reason iKon will never receive my business again

31 1,510
 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM
User Info
(12-18-2012, 08:43 PM)Arcadies Wrote: This isn't the first time he's shown questionable behavior and I'm sure it won't be the last.
It's the primary reason iKon will never receive my business again

Agree. I have heard of questionable ethics from this vendor before.

0 156
 12-19-2012, 11:30 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
its one thing to do a side by side comparison showing differences in the product. But I don't think its cool to call your competitions product JUNK! out in public. It doesn't look very good for you.

1 265
 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM
User Info
I think that is really unprofessional and very bad for anyone's image as a vendor. I like some of Stan's razors (R-1 Atlas) and i think that the Titan razor is a great razor from ATT. If anyone has criticism it should dealt with in a proper manner and in the appropriate forum, not bashed in a un moderated social network.

0 606
 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
(01-04-2013, 06:58 PM)alex2363 Wrote: I think that is really unprofessional and very bad for anyone's image as a vendor. I like some of Stan's razors (R-1 Atlas) and i think that the Titan razor is a great razor from ATT. If anyone has criticism it should dealt with in a proper manner and in the appropriate forum, not bashed in a un moderated social network.

Agreed. As many know I have been a big defender of Greg as I really like his products and I have bought many from him. Now I see what others have complained about in the past, and sadly for him I will no longer buy iKon products.

You can compare your product to others, but to call the other's junk is so unprofessional it is beyond reason. He'd have done a LOT better by asking for permission to use the photo and then just putting it up there and casually mentioning the two products and let people draw their own conclusions.

129 4,000
 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM
User Info
(01-04-2013, 08:08 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(01-04-2013, 06:58 PM)alex2363 Wrote: I think that is really unprofessional and very bad for anyone's image as a vendor. I like some of Stan's razors (R-1 Atlas) and i think that the Titan razor is a great razor from ATT. If anyone has criticism it should dealt with in a proper manner and in the appropriate forum, not bashed in a un moderated social network.

Agreed. As many know I have been a big defender of Greg as I really like his products and I have bought many from him. Now I see what others have complained about in the past, and sadly for him I will no longer buy iKon products.

You can compare your product to others, but to call the other's junk is so unprofessional it is beyond reason. He'd have done a LOT better by asking for permission to use the photo and then just putting it up there and casually mentioning the two products and let people draw their own conclusions.
Doug, I have bought razor from Ikon too in the past. But he compared one bad looking razor from Stan's Above the tie.com. I had all of Stan's razors from the Atlas to the Titan and they did not look like that. It was one bad razor that Quality control must have overlooked. I am not a fan-boy or paid endorser of Stan or Above the tie.com. As everyone knows i reviewed his razors and criticized what i liked and did not like. I did not like the Titan for myself (don't forget YMMV) however i did not call the Titan junk. I did not like the M plate, H plate from the Atlas System razor, however i did not them junk either, I just said that my particular face could not adjust to the razors but for many others they got productive results.
I would expect more of a gentleman approach from a Vendor or a Traditional shave enthusiast. Maybe he can recant or apologize for his actions and we all can reconsider his business.

0 606
 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
User Info
I received two iKon razors that had serious QC issues. Needless to say I didn't try for a 3rd. I have a new Atlas R1 that is flawless...just sayin'

0 74
 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM
User Info
Agreed. Even Greg's own site sells blemished items. I think that is just par for the course for machined stainless steel.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

129 4,000
 01-05-2013, 10:37 PM
User Info
(01-05-2013, 09:37 PM)cdhumiston Wrote: I received two iKon razors that had serious QC issues. Needless to say I didn't try for a 3rd. I have a new Atlas R1 that is flawless...just sayin'
Not everyone is perfect. I think that even Doctors make errors and so does machines. For anyone calling out another Vendor out on a Social Network is not appropriate at all. Especially when they know that it was just one bad razor and not of the razors came out with flaws.

(01-05-2013, 10:04 PM)wingdo Wrote: Agreed. Even Greg's own site sells blemished items. I think that is just par for the course for machined stainless steel.

I bet he would feel bad if the table were reversed and some vendor picked out one his blemished razors and called it junk.

I think Ikon do have some extraordinary razors. Many are very popular and appreciated by users around the world. That is not the issue.

0 606
 01-06-2013, 02:19 AM
User Info
(01-05-2013, 10:37 PM)alex2363 Wrote:
(01-05-2013, 09:37 PM)cdhumiston Wrote: I received two iKon razors that had serious QC issues. Needless to say I didn't try for a 3rd. I have a new Atlas R1 that is flawless...just sayin'
Not everyone is perfect. I think that even Doctors make errors and so does machines. For anyone calling out another Vendor out on a Social Network is not appropriate at all. Especially when they know that it was just one bad razor and not of the razors came out with flaws.

(01-05-2013, 10:04 PM)wingdo Wrote: Agreed. Even Greg's own site sells blemished items. I think that is just par for the course for machined stainless steel.

I bet he would feel bad if the table were reversed and some vendor picked out one his blemished razors and called it junk.

I think Ikon do have some extraordinary razors. Many are very popular and appreciated by users around the world. That is not the issue.

Actually, the razor in question (the one used in the pictures) is not a blemished razor. They all look like that up close, (at least all of them that I have seen including my own), it is the machining marks left on the inside of the top cap. It doesn't look as clean as some of the other razors out there, but I think the machined look really makes it stand out, and I really like it.

Despite that, I think we all agree that it was in very bad taste to make those comments, machine marks or not. ATT and iKon BOTH make wonderful razors, there is little room for being unprofessional and calling a competitors product "junk".

71 2,238