12-18-2012, 08:58 PM
User Info
Is it wrong to get custom brushes instead of buying big name brushes I mean what is the difference

12 568
 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
There is nothing wrong with buying a custom brush, in fact, there are many people who prefer custom brushes vs the big names.

Advantages to a custom brush include:
Handle type, size and color of your choice.
Knot type and size to your liking.
Supporting a small business or local artisan which is always nice.

63 2,128
 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Not wrong at all, I prefer to have customs. You get to come up with your own design with the artisan. Handle material, color, shape, all that is totally up to you and what you like.

10 1,120
 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
If it's wrong then I don't want to be right! Tongue

I've only had my own custom brush for a couple days now but it's easily the best brush I've used. Why? Because its exactly what I was looking for; zero comprises. Definitely something I think everyone in our hobby should do at least once.

31 7,914
 12-18-2012, 09:53 PM
User Info
(12-18-2012, 08:58 PM)Tylerbrycen Wrote: [custom v. brand name brushes]...what is the difference?

The hair.

9 2,988
 12-19-2012, 11:04 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Quote:The hair.
Yep, that's the catch.

12 743
 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM
User Info
As Lee and Oscar have stated, there is a issue over hair.

The established companies have access to better grades of hair due to purchasing / supplier agreements. The general purpose knot makers many times only has access to hair that did not get selected by the "big boys." However, with that said, I have plenty of custom brushes, most of which have knots that I have procured through various general suppliers. The hair combinations I have selected have more than met my desires and expectations, so am I happy with them? Yes. Some individuals do move up in class and get Shavemac knots or in the synthetic world the new Muhle Version 2 STF knots, so there is a step up available. Going to a reputable custom maker such as Rudy Vey or Rod Neep will provide you the opportunity to get a beautiful brush that will serve you well.

Some of us do a lot of restorations which is a slightly different angle on custom brushes, which brings an old brush handle back to service with a new knot. These also bring a different sense of nostalgia and history that no current manufactured brush handle / hair combination can offer. So that is another consideration to factor into the discussion.

1 2,827
 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM
User Info
You can get customs from some of the big guys me still get the same top quality hair that is not abailable in knot only form

Shavemac, M&F come to mind....and Simpson appears to be joining in as I've seen a few special order jade handles posted on here

Rudy vey can also do custom handle with Shavemac knot

8 2,718
 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
Bob Quinn can turn you a masterpiece & then top it off with either a WSP, TGN, or shavemac knot at the loft you desire. Bob will also have great communication with you throughout the entire process. He takes your input seriously.

31 7,914
 12-19-2012, 11:24 PM
User Info
To get the best hair types, just order custom made from the big guys like Mark the owner of Simpson (a member in here), Lee Sabini from Morris & Forndran, Bernd from Shavemac and from Rudy Vey Cool

Rudy Vey gets his high end hair from Shavemac, and let me tell you the Shavemac hair he gets is the best of the best from Shavemac (I own 12 Shavemac brushes and 2 Rudy Veys, and Rudy Vey Shavemac hair is at the top of top in quality)

22 5,070
 12-20-2012, 02:01 AM
User Info
I second what's already been said hair is the biggest difference, I have a few custom brushes, even though the finish is equal to any of the big name maker brushes I have I would say the hair quality is not quite there IMO, my favourite hair would be the Simpsons super, I have Simpsons Super and finest silvertip and I find it very difficult in telling them apart. PS this is a question to anyone who can answer it, why all the secrecy surrounding M & F brushes, I don't really get it if I'm honest what are they trying to hide?

Jamie

5 1,810
 12-20-2012, 09:49 AM
User Info
Maybe Lee Sabini just has better things to do with his time. Certainly his perogative to put his own business on the backburner of his own priority list. It's his life.

Someone told me he was a millionaire before buying M&F & Rooney. Very "through the grapevine", but could be true.

9 2,988