12-19-2012, 05:47 AM
User Info
There's nothing like receiving a package with shaving items bequeathed inside, yet there's nothing more special then receiving something with merit, character and that personal touch.

Its not every day we receive a package from out of country, nor is it everyday we plunk down more than a handful of clams for a very nice brush, yet when we do, this is what should be.

Behold a plain, two piece cardboard box stapled to hold shape from the United Kingdom, adorned with several stickers some of which many have never seen before; I know what you're thinking, but honestly, how often do we get mail this unique?!

[Image: qe1a_zps257702a3.jpg]

Before opening said parcel, I spritzed the room with some Trumpers Wild Fern, to give myself that full British effect, nothing screams British more-so than Trumpers Wild Fern and Simpsons when it comes to wet-shaving.

As I cut open, and pull apart the fashioned two pieced box, I'm greeted with: a wax lined tissue paper, a tube of Simpsons Unscented Aftershave Balm, a hand wrote invoice, and the Jubilee, in the traditional dark green Simpsons box, adorned with a sticker and handwriting, noting the make, model, and hair type.
[Image: qe2a_zps59808894.jpg]

As the Trumpers Wild Fern vibrates throughout my sinuses, I pry open the green Simpsons box and remove the brush from its resting place adorned in tissue paper and keeping company the Simpsons brush care card, only to expose it to the light of my well lit bathroom; behold a gem!

[Image: qe3a_zps27f26fad.jpg]
[Image: qe4a_zpsfb32d96d.jpg]

If you haven't been overwhelmed with the timely experience dating back decades ago, then this shall only push you past the vintage cliff of reminiscence of time passed, a freshly minted coin, bejeweled in the base of the brush.
[Image: qe5a_zpsb44aa115.jpg]

There has been criticism, that the Jubilee was too "Kitchy" too "Small" too whatever you want to spout, honestly this brush purchase goes beyond being a brush, its an experience, something of which many haven't experienced in a long while, while others probably have never experienced at all, not do to price, prestige or snobbery, yet the mere fact nobody does this process this personal and by hand anymore, nobody!

The Jubilee hasn't hit my face yet, however its made more impact than any brush I have ever owned, due to the simplicity of ages gone by, those personal touches we never see anymore, and the fact the brush is gorgeous, even if it has its "British" flaws, for nothing is perfect.

I can't wait to put in face time with this brush, it has more character and feel than any other brush I have been lucky enough to hold.

As for the blurred address field, I'm sure everyone has no problem appreciating my privacy after seeing how many of our photo's show up on other sites unwarranted.

0 652
 12-19-2012, 06:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Aaron, nice write-up and great pictures. I truly wish I could have afforded one of these. I would of liked to had one for all of the reasons you listed.

Thanks

173 23,546
 12-19-2012, 06:22 AM
User Info
(12-19-2012, 06:10 AM)Johnny Wrote: Aaron, nice write-up and great pictures. I truly wish I could have afforded one of these. I would of liked to had one for all of the reasons you listed.

Thanks

Thanks Johnny, I know I'm a young lad, however I'm sure this same experience is something taken for granted and something others including yourself dealt with day to day in the past. Unlike my CH2 this brush isn't quite "Perfect" but it has more than enough character. Its like buying something from Phil, but even more personal, nobody writes you an invoice by hand, or actually makes the box they ship goods in to you, I haven't seen heavy duty metal shipping staples in forever.

Hopefully today I get my heater resolved and can actually give the brush a go tonight, I would hate for it to stay damp for several days.

0 652
 12-19-2012, 06:26 AM
User Info
Thanks for the great write up and pictures! Thumbup

I'm looking forward to hearing more after you've had a chance to use it.

0 73
 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM
User Info
I caved...
So far I have not tried the Manchurian grade...
But I like this brush...
And it was a "less" expensive way of trying the Manchurian with the added benefit of a truly special occasion brush... so I gave in..
It is on order...

31 1,554
 12-19-2012, 07:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Aaron. reading your post I felt like I was there with you unwrapping this treasure...

91 17,851
 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
What a great post, and a beautiful brush. Your pictures make the handle look better than in previous pictures I have seen. Enjoy!

63 2,128
 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
(12-19-2012, 07:27 AM)ben74 Wrote: Aaron. reading your post I felt like I was there with you unwrapping this treasure...

Ditto. The brush is beautiful.

Have they sold out? If the glowing embers in my empty wallet cool down after the holidays maybe there is still a chance for me to get my hands on one.... Blush

51 387
 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM
User Info
If it wasn't for the Manchurian hair I'd be all over it.

9 2,988
 12-19-2012, 11:29 AM
User Info
Aaron I think I can safely say you are very pleased: nay !!!! over the moon with the brush.......... Enjoy

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Excellent , excellent pics , Aaron ! Great ones.

Well , enjoy that appointment with her Majesty , the Queen.

86 7,123
 12-19-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
Great post, but sure is rough reading as mine has not arrived yet! Rolleyes

All the best!

Michael

UPDATE: It arrived this afternoon and I did not even have to sign for it!

24 276
 12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
User Info
Thanks gentlemen, I haven't really been pursuing our sport much this year, but I had to have the "QEII"; I only hope my post was fitting for a brush so great.

0 652
 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
Aaron, it is a beautiful brush. Enjoy it to the fullest!

1 2,827
 12-19-2012, 05:37 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Congrats! That truly is a beautiful brush.

45 3,955
 12-20-2012, 05:01 AM
User Info
The QE II is set to take her maiden voyage this afternoon to Turkey were she will be met by an Arko shave stick, after careful preparations have been made to ensure smooth sailing.

During the initial cleansing and testing phase, I was quite amazed at the "Spring" and how "Gel Like" the tips were; however you can't truly appreciate this brush lathering your palm or in a bowl; trust me I tried.

I will continue the story of "The Jubilee, a date with the Queen" later tonight. Wink

Here's a teaser photo, snowy white tips in a hefty handle.

[Image: qe6a_zps4a81c14d.jpg]

0 652
 12-20-2012, 06:40 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to hearing about your continued experiences.

14 870
 12-20-2012, 07:02 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
This brush looks better each time I see it!

91 17,851
 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
I've now used the Jubilee 3 times and must say, this is very different manchurian hair than what my Tulip T3 manchurian has.

My T3 is more dense, has a little white showing at the base and has some scritch to it (which I love btw as I'm a big Rooney finest fan).

The Jubilee is less dense, has no white showing at the base (all black hair to the base of the knot) and has really no scritch at all to it.

To me the Jubilee really feels more like the Rooney heritage 2-band hair than the previous Simpson's Manchurian that Mark had from what must have been the first batch.

11 185
 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM
User Info
That would be good news - at least for me ... Biggrin
(12-20-2012, 11:39 AM)Edson Wrote: I've now used the Jubilee 3 times and must say, this is very different manchurian hair than what my Tulip T3 manchurian has.

My T3 is more dense, has a little white showing at the base and has some scritch to it (which I love btw as I'm a big Rooney finest fan).

The Jubilee is less dense, has no white showing at the base (all black hair to the base of the knot) and has really no scritch at all to it.

To me the Jubilee really feels more like the Rooney heritage 2-band hair than the previous Simpson's Manchurian that Mark had from what must have been the first batch.

31 1,554