12-19-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
I just received my Jubilee Brush and in looking it over, I noticed some light scoring or scratch marks nears the "JUBILEE" engraving and the "QE II" engraving. Does anyone else have these marks on their brush? Please advise.

Thanks!

Michael

24 276
 12-19-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
(12-19-2012, 02:30 PM)monarch2001 Wrote: I just received my Jubilee Brush and in looking it over, I noticed some light scoring or scratch marks nears the "JUBILEE" engraving and the "QE II" engraving. Does anyone else have these marks on their brush? Please advise.

Thanks!

Michael

Think of it as "British" charm, the white handles hides some of it, but the darker handles show up more... At least they're stamped straight, in the "Lamp Black" days they were stamped all kinds of crazy; having said that I wish they still could use that process.

I'm curious, how is the coin? Mine had excess glue in the groove, how about yours?

0 652
 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
(12-19-2012, 05:03 PM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(12-19-2012, 02:30 PM)monarch2001 Wrote: I just received my Jubilee Brush and in looking it over, I noticed some light scoring or scratch marks nears the "JUBILEE" engraving and the "QE II" engraving. Does anyone else have these marks on their brush? Please advise.

Thanks!

Michael

Think of it as "British" charm, the white handles hides some of it, but the darker handles show up more... At least they're stamped straight, in the "Lamp Black" days they were stamped all kinds of crazy; having said that I wish they still could use that process.

I'm curious, how is the coin? Mine had excess glue in the groove, how about yours?

Hi Aaron!

Only a tiny amount of glue is noticeable and I had to look for it. Also, the coin is ever so slightly off center but, again, I had to be looking for it. We're good there. The scoring I mentioned earlier jumped out at you at first glance.

Maybe were perfectionists! Winky Best!

Michael

24 276
 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
Michael, those "Impferctions" are what give this brush character I say!

0 652
 12-19-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
Theres a fine line, no pun intended, between "character" and a slovenly finished job.

Only pictures will clear this up.

0 193
 12-19-2012, 11:15 PM
User Info
Don't worry boys, my 5 Thäter just arrived, and the faux ivory octagon handle has a bit of a black stripe, the plexiglas 49125 black/plexiglas has some minor bubbles inside the plexiglas - other than that they are all flawless Biggrin

As Saif/Hedonist points out thoug, there is a fine line between a sloppy job and what many would an OCD worrying over minor imperfections.

All my Simpsons brushes so far have been very close to perfect, and I have them all in butterscotch, faux ivory, classic beige and tortoise finish.

I originally did order the QE II, but I may possibly skip it, as The handle is on the smaller side, and my Duke 3 Manchurian butterscotch is just so close to this in knot size and shape, but just that little bit better suited for me, I guess.
Also just received a Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive with a Shavemac D01 2-Band knot in fan shape 50 mm loft and 23 mm knot and its awesome and pretty much covers my needs for a fan based 2-Band knot in that size.

Now if Mark eventually considered a Chubby 2 or Duke 3 in this wonderful wood finish, WoW I would be all over it, like nothing else, because all my Simpson brushes so far have been nearly perfect hair and knot wise - never lost more than max 3-4 hairs.....Smile

22 5,058
 12-20-2012, 03:17 AM
User Info
Just checked mine and the handle has no marks on it, but the coin has glue on it and on the handle base. I am not sure if I will try to remove it using something plastic or just leave it as it is. I guess we have to remember these are hand made so maybe it is just part of buying a hand made brush?

3 198
 12-20-2012, 03:28 AM
User Info
(12-20-2012, 03:17 AM)missingskin Wrote: Just checked mine and the handle has no marks on it, but the coin has glue on it and on the handle base. I am not sure if I will try to remove it using something plastic or just leave it as it is. I guess we have to remember these are hand made so maybe it is just part of buying a hand made brush?

I was going to leave it alone, but it got the better of me, the glue actually isn't that hard, its more like a rubber compound... I scooped my pinky nail in the groove and got quite a bit out, except for a few flecks down in deeper...

I also looked again, there's some scuffs on the handle, but you can tell its from being spun, they don't photograph so I don't really care either. Wink

0 652
 12-20-2012, 03:51 AM
User Info
(12-20-2012, 03:28 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 03:17 AM)missingskin Wrote: Just checked mine and the handle has no marks on it, but the coin has glue on it and on the handle base. I am not sure if I will try to remove it using something plastic or just leave it as it is. I guess we have to remember these are hand made so maybe it is just part of buying a hand made brush?

I was going to leave it alone, but it got the better of me, the glue actually isn't that hard, its more like a rubber compound... I scooped my pinky nail in the groove and got quite a bit out, except for a few flecks down in deeper...

I also looked again, there's some scuffs on the handle, but you can tell its from being spun, they don't photograph so I don't really care either. Wink

I am glad to hear about the glue. I will tidy it up later.......Biggrin

3 198