12-20-2012, 11:51 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Old Spice and Clubman smells good but when it hits my skin, they both STINK! I guess body chemistry is to blame, kinda like folks whose skin will immediately tarnish silver . Spicier aftershaves-colognes like Navigator, Bigelow, Polo don't change like OS and Clubman. Anyone else "react" badly with certain aftershaves?

2 334
 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
User Info
Hmmm...never heard of this really.

Right now, you, and Amanda, whom you've met, are the only ones I've ever met who don't like Clubman.

But, to answer your question, Navy, by Dana smells bad on me. Then again, it smells bad in the bottle.

If you want to try something that changes drastically in terms of scent when it hits your skin you should try Pinaud Clubman's Lilac Vegetal! I bet the girls love it!

How does Brut and Aqua Velva sit on you?

Also, be advised, the Old Spice sold today by Proctor and Gamble is NOT the same stuff that was sold in the old days when it was made by Shulton. Shulton Old Spice is much better. I don't like the modern Old Spice but I really like "real" Old Spice by Shulton. You can still buy it at West Coast Shaving and it comes from India. An alternative to that is Vi-Jon "New Spice" which you can get at Fred's and other dollar stores for less than 2 bucks. I wonder if that will react the same with you.

When you come on over you can test all this stuff out if you like.

1 283
 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM
User Info
(12-20-2012, 06:12 PM)regularfella Wrote: Right now, you, and Amanda, whom you've met, are the only ones I've ever met who don't like Clubman.

You can add me to the list.

129 6,685
 12-25-2012, 08:35 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-22-2012, 05:55 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 06:12 PM)regularfella Wrote: Right now, you, and Amanda, whom you've met, are the only ones I've ever met who don't like Clubman.

You can add me to the list.

me too...the club is no longer exclusive. Tongue

45 16,359
 12-26-2012, 12:12 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Colognes do sit differently when applied to the skin, so I'm of the opinion that they will smell differently on different people and I don't think I'm alone with that summation...

91 17,875
 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM
User Info
Well, neither Old Spice or Clubman is what it once was but if what's there doesn't work they're lots of other choices.

0 500
 12-30-2012, 12:19 AM
User Info
Don't think it's you...something just smell bad period. To me Old Spice smells like socks that have been sitting in my gym bag too long, Clubman reminds me of a geriatric ward, and The Veg smells like cat urine. In my experience, sometimes you want something to smell good based on what you have read or heard...you smell it out of the bottle and say hey I can work with that, only to put it on and discover its true pungentcy.

5 938
 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I smelled some BAY RUM this weekend and WHATHA !!! Yikes, I ain't putting that stuff on my body. Kinda let down. I was expecting more.

2 334
 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM
User Info
Which BR did you smell?

1 283
 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Can't remember which one it was.

2 334
 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Magically, everything I put on ME makes me smell like a KING, but that's because I smell purty anyways.

Seriously though; vetiver, meh. Also, I don't like the Nivea balm with the blue screw down cap. The white-capped Nivea sensitive balm is REALLY good though. And cheap.

0 1,625
 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Bay Rum is one of those that smell different on the body than they do in the bottle. Same thing with The Veg (Lilac Vegetal) which I like. It's all about body chemistry. And YOUR olfactory senses. I'm one of those guys who can wear anything. I have gone back to the old time favorites. For me the days of $60 + cologne are over. I never used Aqua Velva till I started wet shaving. I LOVE it. The AV Musk is wonderful. Brut, Barbasol, anything Pinaud, vintage Avon, Grey Flannel...Guess I'm getting old...lol I can tell you this, I get more compliments on my cheap after shave than I did with the high dollar big name fu fu juice... Just sayin'.

5 1,151
 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 11:35 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Bay Rum is one of those that smell different on the body than they do in the bottle. Same thing with The Veg (Lilac Vegetal) which I like. It's all about body chemistry. And YOUR olfactory senses. I'm one of those guys who can wear anything. I have gone back to the old time favorites. For me the days of $60 + cologne are over. I never used Aqua Velva till I started wet shaving. I LOVE it. The AV Musk is wonderful. Brut, Barbasol, anything Pinaud, vintage Avon, Grey Flannel...Guess I'm getting old...lol I can tell you this, I get more compliments on my cheap after shave than I did with the high dollar big name fu fu juice... Just sayin'.

I agree 100% .

0 189