12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
This is the first year since, well, I was a kid that I'm really looking forward to Christmas. I'm typically "the hard one to buy for", so when word gets out that I have any kind of an interest everyone tends to jump on it. For example, when the Lord of the Rings movies came and and my family found out I was a fan I ended up getting LoTR mugs, posters, figurines, even LoTR-themed board games... all more than I ever asked for.

This year, word is out that wet-shaving is my new hobby. I have a pretty big extended family, so I wrote up a "Christmas list" that they can pass around. On it are links to Mama Bear, Mystic Water, and Mike's Natural Soaps, and a note to browse the scents and pick what they think would be a good match for me. When asked if I would like an Art of Shaving gift card, I said no thanks and instead linked to gift card sections on Italian Barber, WCS, and Bullgoose and said they should pick one of those. And I even have a cousin who works at Sally Beauty who's going to pick out some Clubman products.

So I know that I'm getting shaving stuff but there's still an element of randomness and that has me really excited. I can't wait till Christmas to see what was picked.

So, what's on all of your Holiday lists?

10 2,062
 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
John you might hit the jackpot on Christmas congratulations. As for me I will probably get after shave balm from two of my grand kids and that is about it unless someone surprises me. Everybody knows I like to get my own shaving stuff so they usually leave me aloneSmile

100 12,439
 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm with Jerry, I buy my own shaving goodies. Two of the grandkids gave me a nice ceramic coffee mug and a bunch of coffee last night while I was down for a visit. At my age I don't really need anything except peace and quite.

173 23,507
 12-20-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
My wife knows I shave with a blade and a brush, other than that she's clueless. I buy my own "stuff". Except she asked what I wanted for Christmas and I really want for nothing (I'm content), but I have had a hankerin' for a retractable/extendable mirror. Other than that, nothin'. OK, the bottle of 12 year old Chivas that's been a tradition for 30 some odd years.

We're beyond Christmas gifts.

I'd like to see friends and family; it means far more to us. We'll see friends, family is far away. Called friends tonight to get together for Christmas dinner.

32 6,309
 12-20-2012, 04:29 PM
User Info
Haha well now i feel greedy! SWMBO's family is pretty big on gifts, and mine has become moreso now that grand kids have started popping up. There's plenty of cousins we're close to as well, so even with a $20 limit there's still a lot of shaving stuff that could fit the bill. And it's a lot more fun than the restaurant gift cards that have gone around the past few years ;-)

10 2,062
 12-20-2012, 05:57 PM
User Info
My mother in law asked for my Amazon wish list.

When she regained consciousness, I filtered some of it into a separate Christmas list.

It isn't that I want all this stuff (I have more than enough to be content for a few years), but every once in a while I'll browse through Amazon and toss anything that catches my eye into a wish list. After a while, even the separated lists have taken on lives of their own. I'm in the same boat, though. Everyone knows this is my "thing" now, so that's what everyone is looking for. I'm still in that terrible phase where I want to try just every little thing, but I'm also one of those who focuses more on the family and friends aspect of the holidays. Leaves me at an awkward in-between point there. I also have two friends I've managed to drag into this, so I'm looking for a few things for them. It should get interesting, that's certain.

2 362
 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
I use an Amazon wish list for pretty much the same thing. Whenever I see a product I'm interested in I add it, even if I plan on getting it somewhere else or not for a long time. I doubt I'll be sharing it out though.

10 2,062
 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hahaha you guys crack me up. At my house with all the kids and grand kids I'll spend $1,500.00 on Christmas and I'll walk away with a freakin pack of handkerchiefs... I have 1 daughter who will go out and get something that Dad really likes. I'll bet she's going to get me something shave related.... All the rest.. Not so much.. Mrs. Sav will put a bow on her arse and consider that a gift.. The rest of the year I get it without the bow. Guess that's what makes it a gift....lol.. Oh well, Santa don't get anything for Christmas. That's just the way it is...

5 1,151
 12-20-2012, 10:55 PM
User Info
I know I'm getting some books for Christmas - but then books are always good and my Better Half knows what books I tend to like. It's always easier to find gifts for others than knowing what to ask for.

But then I never know what to wish for; I have everything I need, most of the stuff I want and a lot of "toys"... Perhaps I should wish for a shed to store things in?

3 3,562
 12-21-2012, 12:35 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Over here in Holland presents are given on december 5. Saint Nicholas stops by the houses then. So as a matter of fact I already got my present; a tube of The Body Shop Maca Root Aftershave Balm.

5 447
 12-26-2012, 06:46 PM
User Info
(12-20-2012, 01:28 PM)taborcarn Wrote: This is the first year since, well, I was a kid that I'm really looking forward to Christmas. I'm typically "the hard one to buy for", so when word gets out that I have any kind of an interest everyone tends to jump on it. For example, when the Lord of the Rings movies came and and my family found out I was a fan I ended up getting LoTR mugs, posters, figurines, even LoTR-themed board games... all more than I ever asked for.

This year, word is out that wet-shaving is my new hobby. I have a pretty big extended family, so I wrote up a "Christmas list" that they can pass around. On it are links to Mama Bear, Mystic Water, and Mike's Natural Soaps, and a note to browse the scents and pick what they think would be a good match for me. When asked if I would like an Art of Shaving gift card, I said no thanks and instead linked to gift card sections on Italian Barber, WCS, and Bullgoose and said they should pick one of those. And I even have a cousin who works at Sally Beauty who's going to pick out some Clubman products.

So I know that I'm getting shaving stuff but there's still an element of randomness and that has me really excited. I can't wait till Christmas to see what was picked.

So, what's on all of your Holiday lists?

What good idea, I got the usual socks, chocs & cheap wine..I need to point ppl in the right direction, other than my lovely wife who bought me lots of shaving goodies Smile.

0 27
 12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
User Info
Hah, it didn't work though. I did get some shaving stuff, but none of it was from the list Wink

My favorite though was a monogrammed shaving towel. I hadn't thought of that one.

10 2,062
 12-26-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 07:16 PM)taborcarn Wrote: Hah, it didn't work though. I did get some shaving stuff, but none of it was from the list Wink

My favorite though was a monogrammed shaving towel. I hadn't thought of that one.

Better than a kick in the gonads I suppose Sad

0 27
 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
Among my family we use a web site called wishpot.com. I have mixed feeling about an adult making a wish list, but I play along. This year it resulted in some Proraso splash (too much menthol for me in December) and some RR A/S Wax (LOVE IT)

Without the wish list nobody would know where to start for shaving goodies I think.

0 120
 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 10:00 AM)Bittermormon Wrote: I have mixed feeling about an adult making a wish list, but I play along.

I mostly feel the same way, but I was "badgered" (har har) into making a list to play along as well. It's all in good fun though.

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 10:04 AM)taborcarn Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 10:00 AM)Bittermormon Wrote: I have mixed feeling about an adult making a wish list, but I play along.

I mostly feel the same way, but I was "badgered" (har har) into making a list to play along as well. It's all in good fun though.

People celebrate in different ways. For some they celebrate by wanting to buy me gifts. Who am I to get in the way of that, right? Biggrin

0 120
 12-27-2012, 12:49 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 12:03 PM)Bittermormon Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 10:04 AM)taborcarn Wrote:

People celebrate in different ways. For some they celebrate by wanting to buy me gifts. Who am I to get in the way of that, right? Biggrin

Exactly!

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
  • JimPo42
  • Gilbertsville, PA
User Info
I keep a wishlist on a few sites that my girlfriend knows passwords too. She really likes going to royal shave for the shave bucks. I really like that she enjoys building those up and buying me this stuff. I ended up with some Tabac ASB and MWF in the ceramic dish. I just keep enough stuff in the list that she has more than enough to choose from but not so much that anything she picks will be something I want and not just filler on the list.

0 40