12-20-2012, 02:52 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I have got my hands on one this Sunday and shaved all week with it.
I really wanted to like it. My Monday shave was very close, great feedback, weight of the razor was just right, handle was not slippery at all to me.
As I continued with it on Tuesday, I figured out what was bothering me. There was no smoothness, not that the shave was rough or anything, just not comfortable. Changing the angle helped but my muscle memory kept taking over and I had to "wake up" and think too much instead of enjoying it.
When I tried Weber for the very first time, I had the same feeling. I have tried it again months latter and it had moved up to be my #1 razor, I now own ARC and DLC and don't want to give neither of them up.
Here is my dilemma... Should I even bother with Tredere or sell it? Should I stash it away for a year and try again?
I am thinking of selling and enjoying the 8 razors that have in my lineup. Talk me out of it if you think that I shouldn't.

Not a poll, this is for my own sanity Biggrin
Keep - 2
Sell - 5

88 4,233
 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I had a Tradere SB ... tried it a few times ... not bad but not great for me ... sold it and got another Weber and a Cobra. I now have 3 Webers and the Cobra ... all 10/10 in terms of enjoyment level for me.

YMMV of course, but life is short ... don't be afraid to move on and try new things!

102 17,664
 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(12-20-2012, 02:59 PM)Agravic Wrote: I had a Tradere SB ... tried it a few times ... not bad but not great for me ... sold it and got another Weber and a Cobra. I now have 3 Webers and the Cobra ... all 10/10 in terms of enjoyment level for me.

YMMV of course, but life is short ... don't be afraid to move on and try new things!

+3. Agravic is right on the money as he usually is! I do enjoy my Tradere SB. However life is indeed too short not to try or use what you want to use and what is fun for you to use. Don't feel bad about moving on if that is what you decide. Hopefully there will be a new Tradere Slant being offered in the new year!

14 870
 12-20-2012, 03:06 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I'd give it another week or two and experiment with more blades. The Weber is bliss with almost any blade out there, the Tradere might just be picky.

31 1,510
 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I personally like Astras and Feathers in my Tradere SB.

14 870
 12-20-2012, 03:28 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
It might be worth weighing up what the price difference between what you paid for it is against the potential re-sale value.

If the difference is small then I would be tempted to sell.

If it is larger then I would be tempted to keep hold of it a while longer until you are 100% sure that you no longer want it before selling - I've sold razors, lost money on them, only to spend more cash buying another a few months later as I hankered after one again.

There's always the option if trying to trade for other razors you would prefer instead.

32 638
 12-20-2012, 04:01 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-20-2012, 03:28 PM)ajc347 Wrote: It might be worth weighing up what the price difference between what you paid for it is against the potential re-sale value.

If the difference is small then I would be tempted to sell.

If it is larger then I would be tempted to keep hold of it a while longer until you are 100% sure that you no longer want it before selling - I've sold razors, lost money on them, only to spend more cash buying another a few months later as I hankered after one again.

There's always the option if trying to trade for other razors you would prefer instead.

I've thought about all of it, I think I am done with trying new razors. I've bought and sold a lot, for less than I purchased them, so no news there, I figure it's the cost of "renting" and trying.

88 4,233
 12-20-2012, 04:08 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I would keep it and give it another chance. I took the handle off after the first shave and put an ikon bulldog on, it made a world of difference.

I made a switch to either personna reds or si's, and they're both great.

Try a different handle, and give it a few more shaves. I love my weber ARC, but this one for me is a better shaver. I'd put it ahead of my weber and my cobra.

Good luck!

9 408
 12-20-2012, 04:26 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I tried both the SB Tradere and the OC version. Neither of them worked well for me. Both lacked in providing me with a comfortable shave. I felt I really had to concentrate with them to avoid irritation. I have too many shaving supplies to hold on to the ones that don't work well for me. Shaving now (not in the past) is a pleasurable experience, if a tool is not assisting me in that endeavour - it goes!

91 17,823
 12-20-2012, 04:28 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-20-2012, 04:26 PM)ben74 Wrote: I tried both the SB Tradere and the OC version. Neither of them worked well for me. Both lacked in providing me with a comfortable shave. I felt I really had to concentrate with them to avoid irritation. I have too many shaving supplies to hold on to the ones that don't work well for me. Shaving now (not in the past) is a pleasurable experience, if a tool is not assisting me in that endeavour - it goes!

My thoughts exactly!

88 4,233
 12-20-2012, 04:31 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Steve, it's also a big investment tied up in a razor that you don't really enjoy. I'm sure it will sell quickly on the B/S/T and you'll soon be boasting about the positive experiences you're having with whatever new product you purchase with the funds you recouped.

91 17,823
 12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
User Info
i would have to agree with the other lads, Steve. If you did not take to it, immediately, then i would let it go. One week with it is a good indication if it will work or not. Good luck.

75 20,883
 12-20-2012, 06:32 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
"SELL" wins it! Thanks for your opinions gentlemen. It is a lot of money to keep on hold "just in case".
Coming to the BST near you Wink

88 4,233
 12-20-2012, 07:29 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-20-2012, 06:32 PM)beartrap Wrote: "SELL" wins it! Thanks for your opinions gentlemen. It is a lot of money to keep on hold "just in case".

May I humbly recommend the Cobra Classic if you have not already tried it?

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up" Ferris Bueller.

102 17,664
 12-20-2012, 07:54 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-20-2012, 07:29 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(12-20-2012, 06:32 PM)beartrap Wrote: "SELL" wins it! Thanks for your opinions gentlemen. It is a lot of money to keep on hold "just in case".

May I humbly recommend the Cobra Classic if you have not already tried it?

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up" Ferris Bueller.

I have tried it and liked it! Not loved it enough though to want to have one.

88 4,233
 12-21-2012, 02:29 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
For me, the quality of the shave with the Tradere SB has been more blade dependent than any other razor that I've tried so far.

I don't have any clue why that is. My Weber's will perform great with any blade loaded and basically, all of my other razors can be made to function very well with any blade too.

The Tradere didn't like a 7 O'Clock Blue Black or a Yellow,(always great blades for me) yet worked well with a Feather, an Astra SP, an Astra SS an SI and a Silver Blue so far.

I just can't figure out why this is happening for me and I don't know if it will factor into your decision to sell or not but either way, I wish you only shaving happiness! Smile

6 905
 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Nah, I am over "trying" to make anything work. If it works, it works!

88 4,233