• Gloucestershire,U.K.
User Info
Just some of the hand made shaving brushes currently in stock
http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving...brush.html

Also see later posts in this thread for updates

[Image: ad01.jpg]
Various resin handled brushes

[Image: ad02.jpg]
Wood handled brushes (Walnut, Cocobolo, Oak, Walnut) with various types of knot from £30 (approx $46)

[Image: ad03.jpg]
Black & White Resin from £28 (approx $43)

[Image: ad04.jpg]
The stunning rare Masur Birch

[Image: ad05.jpg]
Malachite

[Image: ad06.jpg]
Stone handled brushes

[Image: ad07.jpg]
Lion Head Stone Handled Brushes
Special Offer Price £50 (approx $76)

Custom orders - no problem

[Image: ad08.jpg]
EXTRA SILVERTIP BADGER
KNOTS AVAILABLE AGAIN!

Simply the ultimate. Very rare to obtain.
I have been unable to obtain these knots for over six months, so get one now while you can! On the left, one of the superb Extra Silvertip Badger brush knots. On the right, a standard Silvertip Badger brush knot. You can easily see how dense the Extra Silvertip is!

I use knots of Extra Silvertip when they are available in 24mm and 26mm and 28mm. The 26mm brush which I use myself holds an incredible amount of water. 34 grams of water! That's 34cc or 2 cubic inches! One loading of the brush is enough for three latherings on the face with plenty left over at the end. It doesn't matter whether you make lather in a bowl or direct on your face, soft or hard soaps, these knots cope with it all superbly!

Orders for custom brushes with these knots are invited.

http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving...brush.html
Shipping from the UK to the USA is no problem!
Packets usually arrive on US soil within 2 days, and are then handed over to USPS. - Tracked all the way.

Rod

2 42
 03-25-2012, 02:07 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Very nice work Rod!

45 16,352
 03-25-2012, 03:02 PM
User Info
Beautiful Rod. I may need to send you a couple of cigar rings. Do you have any hard wood? Something a bit heavy with a bit of mass.

btw: I tried to order one of your soapstone Lion heads and paypal told me it would charge ~$95 US. Is shipping that much?

2 546
 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
  • Rod_Neep
  • Gloucestershire,U.K.
User Info
(03-25-2012, 03:02 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: Beautiful Rod. I may need to send you a couple of cigar rings. Do you have any hard wood? Something a bit heavy with a bit of mass.

Simple. If you prefer a heavy handle in wood then I.... erm... cheat! Biggrin
I can either add some coins glued under the knot, or for extra heavy I drill a small hole down the centre beneath the knot and glue in some .22 lead pellets.

Quote:btw: I tried to order one of your soapstone Lion heads and paypal told me it would charge ~$95 US. Is shipping that much?

Shipping from the UK to the US is £9 .... that's $13.68 at the current (and Paypal) exchange rate. That is for tracked and insured. The Lion head Brushes are currently on special offer at £50 (about $76).

As a matter of interest, we just heard today on the news that postage costs are going up next month.... a lot!

Cheers
Rod

2 42
 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
User Info
Check out my post in The Monthly Haul today (page 11) to see two more examples of Rod's superb craftsmanship!

29 1,731
 03-30-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
(03-27-2012, 01:34 PM)Rod_Neep Wrote: As a matter of interest, we just heard today on the news that postage costs are going up next month.... a lot!

Cheers
Rod

That's going to be rough on good UK vendors! Shipping that high and I can't afford the shipping costs let alone the products.

2 805
 03-31-2012, 10:47 AM
  • Rod_Neep
  • Gloucestershire,U.K.
User Info
I have decided to keep the shipping rates the same, and swallow the difference.

Some stunning new materials that have recently arrived..... and some of the brushes made this week.

[Image: 1120-leopard1.jpg]
[Image: 1120-leopard2.jpg]
Leopard

[Image: 1121-snowleopard.jpg]
Snow Leopard

[Image: 1125-zebra1.jpg]
[Image: x13-zebra-comb.jpg]
Black & White Zebra Stripe

[Image: 1122-goldsilver1.jpg]
Gold & Silver Glitter

Resin handled brushes:
http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving...resin.html

[Image: 1123-forestflame1.jpg]
[Image: 1130-flame1.jpg]
Forest Flame

[Image: 1128-kingfisher1.jpg]
Kingfisher Burl - a burl wood bonded to metallic resin

http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving...resin.html

[Image: 1124-acorns1.jpg]
Forest Green Acorns - Real acorn shells set in shimmering swirly green resin

I am happy to make custom brushes with any of these materials.
Email me!

regards
Rod

2 42
 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Beautiful brushes. They are tempting.

100 12,445
 03-31-2012, 01:37 PM
User Info
Wow, what wonderful looking brushes. Bookmarking your site!

129 6,685
 04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
  • Rod_Neep
  • Gloucestershire,U.K.
User Info
And now for something very special.

I have made just two of these now, but I am happy to make more.

[Image: 1135-ivory2.jpg]

A very special shaving brush in ivory substitute made to my complex vase shape, incorporating hand cut concentric spiral grooves just below the top lip, and with a decorative spiral cut into the base. The handle has subtle hints of grain just like real ivory. A stunning looking brush with the dense Extra Silvertip badger knot that will whip up a very rich thick creamy lather.

Handle height: 57mm
Diameter at top: 32mm
Diameter at upper waist: 29mm With spiral grooves
Diameter at widest: 34mm
Diameter of base groove: 25mm (will fit into a tall type hanging stand)
Diameter at base: 35mm
Brush knot: 26mm Extra Silvertip Badger. The "holy grail" of brush knots
Brush loft: 54mm
A very good brush for face lathering due to the stiff backbone at the centre of the knot.

http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving....html#1135

[Image: 1135-ivory3.jpg].[Image: 1135-ivory4.jpg]

[Image: 1135-ivory1.jpg].[Image: 1135b-stand1.jpg]

And an optional matching stand.
http://www.pensoftheforest.co.uk/shaving....html#1135

Regards
Rod

2 42
 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
User Info
(04-02-2012, 06:37 PM)Rod_Neep Wrote: And now for something very special.

I have made just two of these now, but I am happy to make more.

Regards
Rod

that is a beautiful brush and a very nice original design. i love it.

8 2,718
 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
We are blessed with some AMAZING workmanship available to us...this is a true artist of the craft.....best word I can think of is WOW !!!!!!!

6 1,913
 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
User Info
Wow, some of these are truly amazing. I know where I am getting my next brush.

129 6,685
 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM
  • HCB
User Info
I am awaiting one of those vase shaped brushes. I am excited to say the least. Rod is a pleasure to deal with and he is a master artisan to boot. I am honored to have one of his brushes on the way.

[Image: 1129-vase2.jpg]

1 34
 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
Those brushes are beautiful. It is difficult to pick a favorite.

2 43
 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
User Info
Rod

You truly make some beautiful brushes. It is great to see someone nowadays still being able to turn handles of original design without having to mimic existing handles. The detail that you add is realy spot on.
Would give you a job at Nimmer if it was still running - I am sure you would have liked to use on of our 'water powered' lathes!!

Would love to come up and see your workshop sometime and maybe have a whizz on your lathe or at least a chance to have a look around and the chance to chat about true handmade brush making!

Gary

0 213
 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-03-2012, 01:34 PM)HCB Wrote: I am awaiting one of those vase shaped brushes. I am excited to say the least. Rod is a pleasure to deal with and he is a master artisan to boot. I am honored to have one of his brushes on the way.

[Image: 1129-vase2.jpg]

Love the detail! Great job Rod.

45 16,352
 04-06-2012, 04:21 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(04-06-2012, 12:44 PM)Gary Young Wrote: You truly make some beautiful brushes. It is great to see someone nowadays still being able to turn handles of original design without having to mimic existing handles. The detail that you add is realy spot on.
Would give you a job at Nimmer if it was still running - I am sure you would have liked to use on of our 'water powered' lathes!!

Would love to come up and see your workshop sometime and maybe have a whizz on your lathe or at least a chance to have a look around and the chance to chat about true handmade brush making!

Beautiful work, Rod, and that's some high praise coming from Gary!

52 788
 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
User Info
(04-06-2012, 04:21 PM)greyhawk Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 12:44 PM)Gary Young Wrote: You truly make some beautiful brushes. It is great to see someone nowadays still being able to turn handles of original design without having to mimic existing handles. The detail that you add is realy spot on.

Beautiful work, Rod, and that's some high praise coming from Gary!

exactly what i was going to say. pure class, all around.

and like Gary said, they are true original beauties, i was just browsing your site, and they are ALL very original designs, with great detail.

how are the knots on these? just trying to gauge density, softness and backbone etc...

8 2,718
 04-08-2012, 06:31 AM
  • Rod_Neep
  • Gloucestershire,U.K.
User Info
(04-06-2012, 04:58 PM)brucered Wrote: i was just browsing your site, and they are ALL very original designs, with great detail.

how are the knots on these? just trying to gauge density, softness and backbone etc...

It is actually quite hard to answer that. I use several different silvertip knot types, each of which has different characteristics both in terms of softness and backbone.....
Silvertip
Super Silvertip (softer tips)
High Mountain (stiffer hairs, but not as soft in the tips))
Extra Silvertip (very dense)

.... AND.... each knot type can be set in different ways to give differing effects. I try to give some indication on my web site for each brush.

Let's take one knot for example. Say, a 24mm (of whatever type). I can set it in three basically different ways:

1. Natural set
In a 24mm hole that is just deep enough to hide the resin plug. That is what I would consider set as "high" It produces a softer action in terms of backbone. Let's say for comparison with the other methods below, that the natural loft is 55/56mm.

2a. Deeper Set
In a 24mm hole, but a deep one (in varying degrees). A deeper set of just a couple of millimetres has the effect of strngthening the backbone, and making the knot feel a little more dense. (Say 53mm loft)

2b. Very deep set
Still in a 24mm hole, but with the loft down to say 50mm or less. This strengthens the knot even more, but there is a trade-off. The hairs are constricted so much that the knot tnds to be very dense at the bottom and even distorts higher up. The backbone is harder, but the flow-through of lather is also restricted. It is an un-natural set, and I prefer not to use it.

3. Wide set
The same 24mm knot but in a 26mm or 25mm hole (Actually I step or taper the hole).... and set down to say, 52 to 54mm. In this set, the hairs are constricted because of the depth, but are at the same time given more room on account of the wider hole. It is a "false" set, because the diameter is now that of the knot at a higher position above the base of its plug. (Where it naturally splays out to 26mm). The effect is good backbone because of the shortness *and* a good flow through of lather. This is the set that I prefer to use (but I don't always). It actually works better both for bowl lathering and face lathering.

Many people have commented on how good my standard silvertip knot is for face lathering. But really, it is how I set it that produces the results (2a or 3).

Regards
Rod

2 42