12-20-2012, 09:35 PM
User Info
I just finished filing a police report. My street was hit by a good soul who scoped the front porches and relieved them off the packages. He than threw the empty boxes in the nearby street. A resident there found them and returned them to me and my neighbors.
The police officer told me that it happens now and there during the year but during the holiday season it spikes considerably. The criminals gamble that all those packages on the front porches contain nice gifts.

Today's damage:
1 Cobra razor
1 box of diapers (246 count)
total damage roughly $200.

I live in a very safe town. Many times we neglect to lock our front door. During the summer my daughter's bike is on one of the neighbor's lawn and there are always a few bikes of other kids on my lawn.
The police officer told me that yes, my town is neat and safe, and burglars know that as well.

I think I have lucked out so far. When I was expecting a package that I knew was a signed-for, I used to leave a signed and dated note on my front door asking the courier to just leave it there. Yesterday alone I took delivery of very expensive cell phone. Not anymore.

Folks, I really recommend to pay the extra and also deal with the annoyance of waiting for the courier. It is a pain, but loosing a razor that you had your heart set on is even worse. It is what I am going to do from now on, or just have packages shipped to my work place.
At least during the holiday season.

8 952
 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Speechless. I hate saying "what this world is coming to" Angry

88 4,233
 12-20-2012, 09:54 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Sad and angry. Some people.... Angry

14 874
 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM
User Info
That stinks. Thankfully no one can see what's on my porch. Not unless they actually walk up the stairs.

9 3,072
 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All you can hope for is that the perp cuts him/herself with the razor.

189 26,354
 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It takes a low piece of scum to rob people of gifts during the holiday season...

71 2,243
 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Truly crappy story.....sorry to hear it man

In my apartment building the mail gets left inside. The main building entrance doesn't lock, but at least it's mostly out of sight. Even at that, I still worry about this happening....mine isn't so nice of a neighborhood, I don't even trust half the residents in the building Undecided

10 420
 12-21-2012, 04:21 AM
User Info
In the UK packages are never left outside the property you have to go to the local sorting office to collect them because of this very reason. You can have a nominated neighbour if you have one that will hold it for you, but it is at your own risk. I view going to collect it as a better option as I know it is safe until I collect.
Sorry to hear what has happened to you it must sting as it is both a lot of money and you have had things stolen that you worked hard to get. I hope your luck improves in 2013.

3 199
 12-21-2012, 05:18 AM
User Info
What's even worse is that the Cobra won't mean anything to him and he won't sell it for anywhere close to its value. I'm sure he will get more for the diapers!

I live in a decent neighborhood, but I wouldn't leave a bike on my front lawn. I do get lots of packages delivered and they always hide them on my porch too.

Will your homeowners insurance cover this? My deductible would be too high to cover it.

15 112
 12-21-2012, 05:56 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
That's a shame that people are like that. It is the times we live in.

1 3,507
 12-21-2012, 03:59 PM
User Info
That sucks, but it's yet one more reason I like rural life. When a strange vehicle comes up the road, we know it. My neighbor looks after my curtilage and I look after his. When I have something coming requiring a signature I just leave a note on the door to let him sign for it.

Someone would be incredibly STUPID(!) to do anything like that on "the hill".

BTW, as safe as the hill is, we still lock our doors. It's just common sense today. Times gone by, well, those times are long gone. Leaving any door unlocked is just begging for trouble. You have a car, so do they.

Since a lot of you were hit, maybe it's time for a get together with the neighbors and put in place a neighborhood watch.

32 6,609
 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
(12-20-2012, 09:35 PM)Galhatz Wrote: I just finished filing a police report. My street was hit by a good soul who scoped the front porches and relieved them off the packages. He than threw the empty boxes in the nearby street. A resident there found them and returned them to me and my neighbors.
The police officer told me that it happens now and there during the year but during the holiday season it spikes considerably. The criminals gamble that all those packages on the front porches contain nice gifts.

Today's damage:
1 Cobra razor
1 box of diapers (246 count)
total damage roughly $200.

I live in a very safe town. Many times we neglect to lock our front door. During the summer my daughter's bike is on one of the neighbor's lawn and there are always a few bikes of other kids on my lawn.
The police officer told me that yes, my town is neat and safe, and burglars know that as well.

I think I have lucked out so far. When I was expecting a package that I knew was a signed-for, I used to leave a signed and dated note on my front door asking the courier to just leave it there. Yesterday alone I took delivery of very expensive cell phone. Not anymore.

Folks, I really recommend to pay the extra and also deal with the annoyance of waiting for the courier. It is a pain, but loosing a razor that you had your heart set on is even worse. It is what I am going to do from now on, or just have packages shipped to my work place.
At least during the holiday season.

No wonder I could not find this post again, BST is not where I was expecting it. Check out this thread, sadly it's worth the watch. http://shavenook.com/thread-packages-sto...step-porch

(12-21-2012, 03:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Someone would be incredibly STUPID(!) to do anything like that on "the hill".

BTW, as safe as the hill is, we still lock our doors. It's just common sense today. Times gone by, well, those times are long gone. Leaving any door unlocked is just begging for trouble. You have a car, so do they.

I have been known to leave my door unlocked for short periods of time if I am running quick errands. Not the brightest thing I know, but if someone can get past my German Shepherd and my Pitt Bull, they can have my old radio and TV.

129 4,001
 12-21-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
This thread was moved:

Sorry to hear what happened to youSad

149 14,386
 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM
User Info
I didn't know the thread was moved.
Anyway, there is a good ending to the story.
B&B has apparently a santa claus and a package with a cobra razor plus some goodies arrived (signed for) on Christmas eve.
Happy new year everyone :-)

8 952
 01-04-2013, 04:23 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear about that...no good. At least they took your report...around here there are many cities where the police won't respond to burglaries, theft, etc. as they are considered a low priority for departments with shrinking personnel due to budget cuts...and the criminals are well aware of that. Call in for a burglary or theft and they'll advise you to go online and to fill out a report.

5 938
 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
(01-04-2013, 04:00 PM)Galhatz Wrote: I didn't know the thread was moved.
Anyway, there is a good ending to the story.
B&B has apparently a santa claus and a package with a cobra razor plus some goodies arrived (signed for) on Christmas eve.
Happy new year everyone :-)

What a great ending to this story. It always warms my heart when someone does something nice for someone and does so anonymously.

129 4,001