12-21-2012, 04:43 AM
User Info
And boy was that karma!!! The single worst performing cream I have ever tried. This was my review from the other day on TSD.

Had my first go with Tabac Shave Cream in the squeeze tube today.....I have to say I was NOT impressed at all.....its probably the WORST cream I have ever tried in my honest opinion. I used a no name german made boar brush and my metal cup to whip up lather in. Despite the good amount of cream I used (about the size of 2 almonds) it made a piss poor lather. I will give it the benefit of a doubt and try it next time with a badger and my textured scuttle. But this stuff was weird! The cream is a light gold color.....and when you whip up the lather....its a weird yellow tinge....just looked nasty lol. The scent is excellent though it reminds me of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve damn near exactly. But I had heard of the Tabac Cream not lathering well at all and I pretty much see what they meant now. I know now why I only see people use the stick or soap in a tub. The cream sucks .....1 out of 5 stars just for the scent. Maybe....just maybe the badger and textured scuttle will make a difference...but I highly doubt it because my boar brush never fails to whip up a thick lather on ANY cream or soap iv put it up against. But this stuff dissipated on my face quicker than Williams new formula. Yea it was pretty bad, and it was not water content...I played with that slowly adding water a bit at a time as I do with any cream and nope....from first drop of H2o to the last....the lather was the EXACT same.

So I will know by the 2nd time I use it if its a complete waste of money or not.
This experience honestly makes me want to even steer clear of the puck or stick. I think I will push Tabac to the VERY bottom of my "shave bucket list'....if not completely knock it off.

0 24
 12-21-2012, 05:03 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Definitely DO give it the benefit because for me, it easily makes loads of outstanding, thick, rich lather. Interestingly, my lather is much more white than the color that you describe.

Most people seem to favor the Tabac soap but I have and love both the cream and the soap and the cream has an even more of that potent, Tabac scent goodness. Smile

6 905
 12-21-2012, 05:44 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I enjoy good results with both the Tabac soap and cream. In fact I found the cream to be very easy to build good quality lather. With creams I tend to face lather more than bowl lather...

If I have any problems building lather from any product, I add one or more of the following:

-Extra loading of product
-Extra water
-Extra brush time

These simple extras are yet to fail me!

91 17,875
 12-21-2012, 06:44 AM
User Info
Maybe I got a bad tube? I can whip up some lather like nobody's business but this stuff would not have it. I am always particular with my lather (hence the username) it has to be thick,slick and have a lot of razor glide. I have never had a cream do this to me. Im not saying im the god of whippin up lather but I must say im quite skilled in the art of makin the fluff lol. Perhaps since not all creams are the same my techniques have failed me for this cream. I will try some different approaches (water temp etc.) and see what works for me. But its strange because I can get a pretty thick lather (not near as thick as other soaps but definitely one of the best lathers anyone can get from a new puck of Williams) with Williams new formulation and this cream couldnt even match it....that to me was shocking.I may be comparing apples to oranges here but hey.....they're both fruit right lol? Anyways I will continue my Tabac journey....I will be recieving a Simpson Special Badger for christmas and that will be the next weapon in my arsenal for the Tabac war.

0 24
 12-21-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
While I've only made a couple lathers from a sample of the cream (I was mainly curious about the scent), but I've read regularly that the soap way outperforms the cream.

Edit: maybe it will work perfectly after Christmas comes.

31 7,914
 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have found that the Tabac cream needs a bit more product to start out with than other creams. I prefer to use it to build a super or uber lather with my puck of Tabac soap rather than on its own, but it is surely capable of building a nice lather if enough cream is used.

127 2,393
 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I had a small sample of Tabac cream. The sample had dried out when I recieved it so it took a lot more water and time with the brush to get it going but even still I found it to be decent. I loved the scent for sure and the soap puck is on my list for sometime next year.

2 507
 11-19-2014, 05:04 AM
User Info
im allergic to the cream sadly, the soap is great though

(12-21-2012, 06:49 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: While I've only made a couple lathers from a sample of the cream (I was mainly curious about the scent), but I've read regularly that the soap way outperforms the cream.

Edit: maybe it will work perfectly after Christmas comes.

Yes the soap performs much better than the cream

0 60
 12-05-2014, 08:30 PM
  • Nero
  • Spending my way to profitability
  • le montagne
User Info
I'm guessing you used too much product, and so your water ratio never gets correct. I've never had to use 2 almonds for anything.
I've never used Tabac cream, but I've never tried a cream that didn't lather, including Kiehl's (not saying it's a good cream though).

49 1,744
 12-06-2014, 02:48 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
The older formulation of the cream was actually quite good, the current one is pretty lousy IMO.
Definitely go for the soap, it's almost impossible not to make a good lather with it.

25 4,642
 12-06-2014, 01:05 PM
User Info
I got some Tabac cream last year and have 1 use left. While I don't get real thick lather. It does a really good job of softening my wiskers and is the slickest cream out of a tube I have used so far. Like to use it when I haven't shaved for a few days. Also leaves me with a great post shave feel.

Thinking about ordering some more. But I just received some soaps and other creams in a trade. That I'm eager to try out.

8 140