12-21-2012, 04:44 AM
User Info
I have been waiting for these brushes in 5-6 weeks time, so really had to be patient with Lee Sabini and Classic Shaving Biggrin

But now they arrived within the same day, 2 from the UK and one from the US.
The M&F in Faux ivory is the big brother to my number 1 brush in my collection, the smaller 2XL M&F Rooney Finest 2-band brush. The 2XL has a knot size of 29 mm, this one is the big brother to that one with a knot size of 32-33 mm, and the handle is slightly fatter - both handles are the best handles I have ever had in a brush - not that tall, but fat and the shape is just perfect for my hands. Better than the also great Chubby 2 handle and the Rooney Stubby Heritage 2XL and 3XL handle. PERFECTION !

The knot on both the little brother and bigger brother is BY FAR - the most dense and solid knot of hair I have ever in my life felt and seen.
You can not believe how dense this brush is.......nothing comes close from Rooney and Simpson, and Simpson knots are VERY VERY dense, especially the Chubby models.

[Image: htb8g3.jpg]

The 2 other M&F Finest 2-Bands is a custom order from Lee Sabini.

The handles are made/turned from scratch by Lee, and they resemble one of my favorite handles, the Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XL handle, which I slightly prefer over the 3XL handle. The Jade is bulb and the snow leopard is fan-bulb hybrid, just like I ordered them. Both are 28-29 mm in knot size, the Jade bulb is 50 mm loft and the Snow Leopard fan is 48 mm loft. Both with Finest 2-band hair.
I think Lee Sabini made an excellent job with these 2 brushes, and I look forward to cleaning them and using them in the new year.

[Image: 2m30853.jpg]

[Image: 2ecitdy.jpg]

[Image: 35dc8ki.jpg]

[Image: 90wv3n.jpg]

[Image: e83lmb.jpg]

[Image: 9qldza.jpg]

[Image: 9pw94o.jpg]

[Image: 29qi0rn.jpg]

21 4,816
 12-21-2012, 04:53 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Wow - those brushes look great. Smile

I've got two M&F brushes coming my way on Xmas day and reading this thread has made me wish that today was Christmas Eve already. Smile

32 638
 12-21-2012, 05:01 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Claus, fantastic additions to your brush stable! Use in good health!

91 17,620
 12-21-2012, 05:11 AM
User Info
The "blob" rod stock being used has been all over the place, I believe Tony was the first one to stock it, then Peter *Fido* and now Lee... I'm almost certain the Chinese have/are using it as well... I much prefer the faux jade, none the less I envy you, as I would like to add the "Finest" type of hair to my stable one day.

0 652
 12-21-2012, 05:38 AM
User Info
Hello Claus, what a lovely Trio of brushes you have there.......... Lee, has pulled the stops out their for you. Enjoy

Charles U.K

0 2,326
 12-21-2012, 06:15 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Holy dense knot Batman....That thing is insane

13 599
 12-21-2012, 06:50 AM
User Info
from the looks of the 3rd to last shot (the over-head pic) the classic shaving "old stock" finest brush is a lot more dense than the two custom "new" finest that Lee has made recently. the "newer" finest hair does not behave the same way the older stuff did. it's still pretty dang good.

8 118
 12-21-2012, 07:18 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
They look great Claus, enjoy!

88 4,233
 12-21-2012, 08:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Great looking brushes, but out of the three I really like the jade.

173 23,296
 12-21-2012, 08:34 AM
User Info
Absolutely stunning. I have a 2XL, probably the best brush I own. Out of 50 or so, that's saying something I think.

7 1,176
 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM
User Info
Beautiful brushes, Claus. Congratulations.

178 11,976
 12-21-2012, 09:39 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
That jade Finest is off the chain!

132 1,903
 12-21-2012, 10:09 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Fantastic! You have to let us know how they perform once you have used them! I have never seen a brush so dense, even in pictures...

14 870
 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
I have an identical Jade Finest 2XL from Lee coming in. It has been already 5 weeks, but Lee told me there was a problem sourcing the jade material so that was the delay and it only recently shipped.

He did say that these new M&F finests are the closest hair to the Rooney Finest brushes that he has come across. All I hope is that it has that classic finest scritch on arrival. Also hope mine comes stamped finest like Claus'

That snow leopard is awful pretty too!

11 185
 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
They all look great, I'd love to lather up with white one, it looks like it has exceptionally dense hair.

12 743
 12-21-2012, 02:17 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Claus , to truly have an impressive collection.

As always , looking forward to read your impressions about the Rooney Finest brushes.

86 7,123
 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM
User Info
Thanks to all for your nice comments Smile

Regarding the M&F Stubby from Classic shaving. I can attest that this is the real deal - this is the genuine old stock high top top top quality Finest hair, I know that, since I was the first person that actually got the news about these REAL DEAL old stock M&F brushes from Classic Shaving.

I know very well Classic Shaving seem to have an endless number of old stock Rooney brushes, that pops up every 3-4 months or so, but the M&F Stubby Finest haul they had in September was different, trust me. Even Lee Sabini said so directly in an email. These M&F Stubby have so dense a knot of hair that they are not comparable to any other brush out there. Not comparable at all. The astonishing part is that they still have nice flow through. I wish for Teiste to get hold of one that he can test up against ANY OTHER BRUSH EVER MADE !

My Chubby 2 Best Faux Ivory swirl limited edition is INSANELY DENSE, but because the Finest hair in my 2 M&F Stubby Finest brushes are so fine and thin an the knot se heavily packed with hair, the Simpson Chubby looks and feel less dense, and let me tell you that that Chubby 2 is DENSE AS HELL !

Neither my Chubby 2 Manchurian and Chubby 2 2-Band is close to the density of the 2 M&F Stubby Finest old batch, that I now own.

But these 2 came at a price - the 2XL 29mm $349 and the the 4XL 33mm $399
Even though these prices are quite insane, not compared to Plisson prices and Simpson Limited Edition prices, they are worth it to be quite honest !
The 29mm M&F Stubby Finest old batch is my favorite brush in front of Simpson Chubby 2-Band and Manchurian and Rooney Stubby Heritage 2XL 2-Band Super......see my Top 5 in my signature.

Once I get the M&F Stubby Finest REAL DEAL old batch 4XL 33mm cleaned and rinsed I'm quite sure this will be in my Top 5 too, even though it honestly is a bit too large for my brush preference, but the density of the hair knot and the dense feel makes the little brother 29mm knot feel more like a 26mm knot, because the hair type just has this unique, solid, stable and firm feel to it........

The 2 brushes Lee made, which both have stamped Finest on them may look less dense in the pics and they are......less dense.......of course they are, when I have just told you that the old stock M&F Stubby Finest is the most dense brush you will ever live to see Cool

My Rooney Stubby Heritage 2XL and 3XL almost look like Thäter brushes in comparison to this M&F regarding knot density.......not exaggerating Number_one

But the 2 brushes from Lee are not close to the density of this M&F, and I didn't expect them to be. They are still as dense as my Chubby 2 2-Band, which is pretty darn dense, let me tell you that, but they just don't look dense compared to the big 33mm M&F Stubby REAL DEAL FINEST old batch......

I also own 2 other M&F brushes in 2-Band Blonde Badger, and the 2 new M&F Custom Jade and SnowLeopard are a good deal denser than the 2 Blonde Badger brushes I own.....a good deal more dense........and the hair do feel different, just not like the real old batch of Finest hair different, if you know what I mean Tongue

21 4,816
 12-24-2012, 11:35 PM
User Info
Amazing brushes. I might have missed but which one was from ClassicShaving?

7 128
 12-25-2012, 11:27 AM
User Info
(12-24-2012, 11:35 PM)Badger Wrote: Amazing brushes. I might have missed but which one was from ClassicShaving?

The one in the middle.

I also have the one in the middles little brother.

Both are probably the best shaving brushes I have ever owned and tested.

The one in the middle is actually too large for my liking, at 33-34 mm, but the hair and handle are so fantastic, that I will keep it......Smile

21 4,816