12-21-2012, 05:04 AM
User Info
So my 5 Thäters just arrived yesterday - I received more than 10 brushes the last 2-3 days, so I'm once again a little bit excited and my SBAD is kicking in a bit once again Biggrin

I already own a 6.th Thäter - the plexiglas 49125/2, 26 mm knot in bulb in 2-Band (only available in Europe, in Germany, the 49125 model Plexiglas is only available in 3-band in the Us for some odd reason - but all Thäter brushes can be ordered in either 2-Band or 3-Band version and with either bulb or fan shaped knot)

Hope you like the nice variety in my Thäter collection - only one is 3-band, the 49125/1 Plexiglas bulb,. the rest is 2-band in either bulb or fan shape Cool

The density of Thäter Silvertip Badger 2-band and 3-band brushes is not even close to what you see in Simpson Chubby, Rooney Stubby Finest/ M&F Stubby Finest and Shavemac D01 3-and and 2-band, but the Thäters have a very nice luxury feel to them, which many appreciate and enjoy highly Smile

[Image: 2v84t2u.jpg]

[Image: rjjy3o.jpg]

[Image: 2vuk842.jpg]

[Image: wi3iu8.jpg]

22 5,075
 12-21-2012, 05:13 AM
User Info
I have a Thäter 49125/1 in silvertip, just like yours.

The density of it, as you say, is not anything like Simpson Chubbies and the like - and that is exactly why because I like that Thäter so much. It has more than enough backbone, extremely soft tips (among the softest that I've experienced in a brush) and an excellent flow-through, that allows it to produce huge amounts of lather in no-time, without being a lather hog.

Wonderful brushes you got there, Claus. May you enjoy them in good health! Cool

2 5,532
 12-21-2012, 05:15 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
These brushes look great as well mate. Smile

10+ brushes in 2-3 days is a great haul. Smile

32 638
 12-21-2012, 05:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Claus, a truly enviable line up, congratulations!

91 17,876
 12-21-2012, 05:55 AM
User Info
Hello Claus, that is some line-up.......... Beautiful brushes Enjoy

Charles U.K

0 2,340
 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
I'm normally a huge advocate of Fan shaped knots, but after many people saying that the bulb was the way to go with a Thater because of the bloom, I asked for a White 4125/2 in a bulb for Christmas from my girl.

I'd love to get your opinion on the matter, Claus.

13 599
 12-21-2012, 02:19 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Claus , how many brushes do you own now ?

Those Thaters have been a great addition to your collection , my friend !

86 7,124
 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
(12-21-2012, 06:06 AM)VT_Hokie Wrote: I'm normally a huge advocate of Fan shaped knots, but after many people saying that the bulb was the way to go with a Thater because of the bloom, I asked for a White 4125/2 in a bulb for Christmas from my girl.

I'm not Claus...but that is my favorite brush!

Claus - what sizes are the two on the left?

6 235
 12-21-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
Thanks to you all for your great comments, love reading your feedback, guys Smile

As said in other thread, I have enjoyed you guys pics of your brushes and have drooled over pics of brushes for months and months , now I feel honored to pay back to the community a little bit Biggrin

(12-21-2012, 06:06 AM)VT_Hokie Wrote: I'm normally a huge advocate of Fan shaped knots, but after many people saying that the bulb was the way to go with a Thater because of the bloom, I asked for a White 4125/2 in a bulb for Christmas from my girl.

Because Thäters are not dense brushes, their bloom will be quite large for even a small knot size, so if you don't like a huge bloom stay with bulb and avoid going larger than 26 mm even in 2-Band IMHO

I own - as mentioned - a Thäter 49125/2 26 mm 2-Band Bulb plexiglas brush, that you don't see in the photo, as I bought it in August 2012, and that brush has a really pointy bulb, but it feels soft, velvet cloud like and not dense at all, and the bloom is not that big. But everything is YMMV with brushes, so you have to take a chance, to be honest and blind buy and cross your fingers...... Smile

(12-21-2012, 02:19 PM)Teiste Wrote: Claus , how many brushes do you own now ?

Those Thaters have been a great addition to your collection , my friend !

Thanks T, I soon own 58 brushes.....all badger Super/Silvertip in either 2-Band or 3-Band, except the Shavemac Nook Finest........

(12-21-2012, 02:35 PM)JaDo Wrote: Claus - what sizes are the two on the left?

Ebony: 28 mm 2-Band Silvertip bulb
Faux ivory: 26 mm 2-Band Silvertip fan

22 5,075
 12-24-2012, 11:24 PM
User Info
Claus those are some beautiful badgers Biggrin

Out of your 6 Thaters which would say is best for face lathering?

Also Could you display your M&F collection like this Rolleyes

Cheers!

7 128
 12-24-2012, 11:50 PM
User Info
Wow Claus, those are all beautiful.

129 6,685
 12-26-2012, 12:13 AM
User Info
Beautiful indeed!

4 358
 12-26-2012, 12:46 AM
User Info
(12-24-2012, 11:24 PM)Badger Wrote: Claus those are some beautiful badgers Biggrin

Out of your 6 Thaters which would say is best for face lathering?

Also Could you display your M&F collection like this Rolleyes

Cheers!

I'm selling the big 33-34 mm guy to the right in the photo, as it was bought as kind of an $399 experiment Blush
It is probably among the 2 best brushes, I have ever used, but since I own it's little brother, the 29 mm version, and find that it's even harder to face lather under my nose and around the ear and jaw, I will sell it soon, I think Blush

You can see the thickness of the knot in this pic, first to the left is my Rooney Stubby Heritage 2XL, the one in the middle is the M&F Stubby Finest littlebrother, and the then the big 33-34 mm guy to the right.......

[Image: 7etebaqa.jpg]

Since I bought 50+ brushes within the last 2-3 months and I only shave 4 times a week, I will not get to test all my Thäters properly before March/April (I rotate all my brushes), so can't comment on how the Thäters are before that time.....sorry.

I feel I need to use a brush a couple of times before I can comment on it......Biggrin

But the Thäters are not and will probably never be in my Top 3, because even their 2-Bands are luxurious soft, and while I do enjoy soft brushes, I tend to lean towards the slightly more firm brushes for facelathering, but will always have and enjoy soft brushes in my collection, but Thäters even in 2-Band is on the floppy side of things, without being actually floppy - I rate them in the same category as my Dhavemac Regular 3-Band Silvertips, my Mühle 3-Band Silvertips and my Kent BK8 - all luxurious soft brushes, but will never be in my personal Top 5 over my fav brushes in my collection Smile

(12-24-2012, 11:50 PM)wingdo Wrote: Wow Claus, those are all beautiful.

Thanks, Sir Smile

(12-26-2012, 12:13 AM)Arash Wrote: Beautiful indeed!

Thanks, Sir Smile

22 5,075
 12-26-2012, 02:59 AM
User Info
Hello Claus, can you please indicate the knot AND the loft sizes on your following top 5?Smile

M&F Stubby RooneyFinest 2-Band 2XL Fan
Simpson Chubby 2 Butterscotch Manchurian Fan
Simpson Chubby 2 Classic 2-Band Bulb
Rooney Stubby Heritage 2XL 2-Band Fan
Shavemac TaylorMade D01 3-Band Bulb

Also, in this picture what is the knot and loft size on the first 2, Rooney Stubby Heritage 2XL and the one in the middle is the M&F Stubby Finest little brother?

And a picture of your top 5 or a link if you have already posted. Biggrin

4 358
 12-26-2012, 08:49 AM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 02:59 AM)Arash Wrote: Hello Claus, can you please indicate the knot AND the loft sizes on your following top 5?Smile

M&F Stubby RooneyFinest 2-Band 2XL Fan
Simpson Chubby 2 Butterscotch Manchurian Fan
Simpson Chubby 2 Classic 2-Band Bulb
Rooney Stubby Heritage 2XL 2-Band Fan
Shavemac TaylorMade D01 3-Band Bulb

Also, in this picture what is the knot and loft size on the first 2, Rooney Stubby Heritage 2XL and the one in the middle is the M&F Stubby Finest little brother?

And a picture of your top 5 or a link if you have already posted. Biggrin

To avoid going off topic in this thread, see this thread:

http://shavenook.com/thread-your-current...n-my-top-5

22 5,075
 12-26-2012, 10:00 PM
User Info
Thanks, Claus. Wonderful pics! SmileI am so confused now on which one to start with. UndecidedConfused

I might just pull the trigger on the Simpson Chubby 2, Rooney 3 XL, and Shavemac D01.Blush

4 358
 12-27-2012, 03:01 AM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 10:00 PM)Arash Wrote: Thanks, Claus. Wonderful pics! SmileI am so confused now on which one to start with. UndecidedConfused

I might just pull the trigger on the Simpson Chubby 2, Rooney 3 XL, and Shavemac D01.Blush

You need to focus on what you like in a brush, consider if you prefer soaps or creams or both and if you face lather or bowl lather or do both.....

You also need to take some chances in the start, you may need to buy 6-8-10 brushes before you know what you prefer in a brush. You may also just be lucky and get what you like in the first brush you buy.......

The Rooney 3XL is a huge brush......too big for my preference, as I feel I lack control under the nose, ear and jaw area when I face lather with such a big brush.
Consequently my 3XL is close to end up being sold.....I just don't feel it does anything my Rooney 2XL does not do better......

If you have soft water in your area, you may be able to create enough lather by just using the big brush on your cheeks and then just distribute the lather to under your nose and close to the ear area. I like to massage every inch of my beard area, when I face lather, thus brushes bigger than 28-29 mm are really not for me Blush

You can of course force the brush to feel smaller and more precise by squeezing it gently together at the base of the hair knot and then face lather under the nose and around the ear area - but for me this action sort of defeats the purpose of using a big brush, and I get messy fingers from it (no big deal at all, unless you suffer from OCD, sorry CDO Tongue, like I do Biggrin )

I also get annoyed over too big brushes when I'm dipping them in my pots of shaving cream and the outer hairs on for instance a Rooney 3XL will be forced to lay down on the outer side of the shaving cream pot, because the brush knot is just too large - only Castle Forbes shaving cream have containers wide enough for this not to happen with my 3-4 biggest brushes........yet another little irritation point I have over too large brushes Rolleyes

But if you enjoy larger brushes, and like their ergonomic bigger handles, which I tend to do, go for it - get that big brush. You will always wonder how it felt anyways....... Biggrin

You can always sell it and get the smaller brother for the money and then you have experienced what a really BIG brush feels like !

So get a Rooney 3XL or a Chubby 3 - but you also need to find out if you want the Chubby 3 in Best hair (more scritch than 3-Band Super hair, less splay), 2-Band Super (nicer backbone and still very soft tips), 3-Band Super (a hair type that is finer and will make the brush feel huge and with a lot of splay and bloom) or Manchurian (a slightly thicker hair type with less soft feel at the tips compared to 2-Band, yet a wonderful combination of solid firm backbone and wet gentle gel like feel at the tips of the brush)

Also if you choose a Shavemac you need to know the vast difference between D01 2-Band and D01 3-Band, 2-Band version feels rougher and more solid on the face, but don't get this hair type in loft lower than 50 mm no matter the knot shape or knot thickness, unless you want an ÜBER SCRITCHY PRICKLY brush.

I was where you are at just 8-10 months ago, but friendly forum members helped me, like I help you now Smile - and I found out I had to pay my way out of knowing what I really want. We can offer assistance, but what some feel is gentle and soft hairs to others are prickly scricthy hair.......be aware of that.

This is why we always use the term YMMV - YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY Wink

Good luck with your search - I'm sure other members will chime in form now and offer their assistance to you in your brush search Wink

22 5,075
 12-28-2012, 02:16 AM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 03:01 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 10:00 PM)Arash Wrote: Thanks, Claus. Wonderful pics! SmileI am so confused now on which one to start with. UndecidedConfused

You need to focus on what you like in a brush, consider if you prefer soaps or creams or both and if you face lather or bowl lather or do both.....

You also need to take some chances in the start, you may need to buy 6-8-10 brushes before you know what you prefer in a brush. You may also just be lucky and get what you like in the first brush you buy.......

The Rooney 3XL is a huge brush......too big for my preference, as I feel I lack control under the nose, ear and jaw area when I face lather with such a big brush.
Consequently my 3XL is close to end up being sold.....I just don't feel it does anything my Rooney 2XL does not do better......

If you have soft water in your area, you may be able to create enough lather by just using the big brush on your cheeks and then just distribute the lather to under your nose and close to the ear area. I like to massage every inch of my beard area, when I face lather, thus brushes bigger than 28-29 mm are really not for me Blush

You can of course force the brush to feel smaller and more precise by squeezing it gently together at the base of the hair knot and then face lather under the nose and around the ear area - but for me this action sort of defeats the purpose of using a big brush, and I get messy fingers from it (no big deal at all, unless you suffer from OCD, sorry CDO Tongue, like I do Biggrin )

I also get annoyed over too big brushes when I'm dipping them in my pots of shaving cream and the outer hairs on for instance a Rooney 3XL will be forced to lay down on the outer side of the shaving cream pot, because the brush knot is just too large - only Castle Forbes shaving cream have containers wide enough for this not to happen with my 3-4 biggest brushes........yet another little irritation point I have over too large brushes Rolleyes

But if you enjoy larger brushes, and like their ergonomic bigger handles, which I tend to do, go for it - get that big brush. You will always wonder how it felt anyways....... Biggrin

You can always sell it and get the smaller brother for the money and then you have experienced what a really BIG brush feels like !

So get a Rooney 3XL or a Chubby 3 - but you also need to find out if you want the Chubby 3 in Best hair (more scritch than 3-Band Super hair, less splay), 2-Band Super (nicer backbone and still very soft tips), 3-Band Super (a hair type that is finer and will make the brush feel huge and with a lot of splay and bloom) or Manchurian (a slightly thicker hair type with less soft feel at the tips compared to 2-Band, yet a wonderful combination of solid firm backbone and wet gentle gel like feel at the tips of the brush)

Also if you choose a Shavemac you need to know the vast difference between D01 2-Band and D01 3-Band, 2-Band version feels rougher and more solid on the face, but don't get this hair type in loft lower than 50 mm no matter the knot shape or knot thickness, unless you want an ÜBER SCRITCHY PRICKLY brush.

I was where you are at just 8-10 months ago, but friendly forum members helped me, like I help you now Smile - and I found out I had to pay my way out of knowing what I really want. We can offer assistance, but what some feel is gentle and soft hairs to others are prickly scricthy hair.......be aware of that.

Good luck with your search - I'm sure other members will chime in form now and offer their assistance to you in your brush search Wink

Claus, thanks a lot for that insight. It will help me a lot in making an informed decision. I have read about shedding. Any thoughts around which brand sheds the most out of your top 10? Undecided

1. Morris & Forndran Stubby Finest 2-Band Fan 28 mm knot, 50 mm loft
2. Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian Fan 28 mm knot, 50 mm loft
3. Rooney Stubby Heritage Super 2-Band 2XL Fan 28 mm knot, 46 mm loft
4. Rudy Vey Beehive Faux Ivory Shavemac D01 3-Band Fan 25 mm knot, 46 mm loft
5. Simpson Chubby 2 2-Band Super Bulb 28 mm knot, 54 mm loft
6. Shavemac D01 3-Band Silvertip Bulb 26 mm knot, 54 mm loft
7. SimFix Snaefell 2-Band Super Bulb 26 mm knot, 54 mm loft
8. Thiers Issard Genuine Horn 3-Band Super Extra Dense Hybrid 23 mm knot, 54 mm loft
9. Thäter 49125/2 2-Band Super Bulb 26 mm knot, 52 mm loft
10. Saville Row 3124 3-Band Silvertip Bulb 24 mm knot, 54 mm loft

4 358
 12-28-2012, 03:52 AM
User Info
(12-28-2012, 02:16 AM)Arash Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 03:01 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Claus, thanks a lot for that insight. It will help me a lot in making an informed decision. I have read about shedding. Any thoughts around which brand sheds the most out of your top 10? Undecided

1. Morris & Forndran Stubby Finest 2-Band Fan 28 mm knot, 50 mm loft
2. Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian Fan 28 mm knot, 50 mm loft
3. Rooney Stubby Heritage Super 2-Band 2XL Fan 28 mm knot, 46 mm loft
4. Rudy Vey Beehive Faux Ivory Shavemac D01 3-Band Fan 25 mm knot, 46 mm loft
5. Simpson Chubby 2 2-Band Super Bulb 28 mm knot, 54 mm loft
6. Shavemac D01 3-Band Silvertip Bulb 26 mm knot, 54 mm loft
7. SimFix Snaefell 2-Band Super Bulb 26 mm knot, 54 mm loft
8. Thiers Issard Genuine Horn 3-Band Super Extra Dense Hybrid 23 mm knot, 54 mm loft
9. Thäter 49125/2 2-Band Super Bulb 26 mm knot, 52 mm loft
10. Saville Row 3124 3-Band Silvertip Bulb 24 mm knot, 54 mm loft

Shedding hair is something you will see from time to time among all brush models, no matter what company makes them.
All the big renowned brush makers will offer great service and exchange your brush, no questions asked.

For instance I know some had a Simpson that shedded some hair, but Mark from Simpson was contacted and without as,ing any questions at all, he exchanged the brush free of charge - this is a story I heard from a member in here on The Nook, it has fortunately never happened to me.....yet....and I have bought and owned more than 70 brushes from a wide variety of brush manufacturers.

So I can't tell you which of my brushes you should avoid based on the 'guesstimate' that they might start to shed some hair....

All my brushes have all shed 2-5 hairs when I cleaned them in warm water and fluid citrus scented dishwashing soap before first use and then during the first couple of uses. After that they have stopped - but also l ow that I have bought so many brushes the last 3 months, that I have yet to use any of my brushes more than 6-8 times.

Only my Simpson Duke 3 2-Band and Simpson Chubby 2 2-Band has been used maybe 12-15 times each, and they have only shed 2-3 hairs maximum.

Don't worry about shedding, as long as you buy a brush from a renowned quality brush maker and reliable store.

22 5,075
 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
User Info
Quote:Since I bought 50+ brushes within the last 2-3 months and I only shave 4 times a week...

Doing some math, that means that you've only had the opportunity to truly use each brush for a shave once at most. (4*13 = 52.) Maybe you bought brushes you haven't even used yet.

IMHO this is a really bad idea for a newbie. You don't know what you like yet. Big brushes? Small? Scritchy? Soft? Badger? Boar? As you point out:
Quote:You also need to take some chances in the start, you may need to buy 6-8-10 brushes before you know what you prefer in a brush.

I think that sounds about right, though I wouldn't even buy them in a short period of time. Buy a brush, give it some time, then iterate on the next brush.

I started with a cheap brush (Tweezerman), moved on to a Rooney 3/1 which I used exclusively for a long time, then slowly expanded my brush selection. And even though I have a small number of brushes compared to you (13), many brushes will lie unused for a month at a time.

Quote:You can always sell it and get the smaller brother for the money and then you have experienced what a really BIG brush feels like !

IMHO the concept of buying something "because you can always sell it" is not a great idea. You can never sell a used brush for what you paid for it new, and sometimes even then it's difficult. Selling a popular brush (Duke 2, for example) will be easy, but this isn't the case for every brush. Usually you will take a healthy haircut, especially for brushes that are less common/talked about.

Think about it from the perspective of a buyer: you can buy a used brush for $100 or a brand new one for $110. Which would you buy? I'd go for the new one, $10 is not much and I don't have to worry about how the brush was treated before I bought it. So now as the seller, how low would you have to sell that $110 brush to appeal to someone? $90? $80? Oh, and Paypal will take a cut, and you have to pay shipping.

12 1,243