12-21-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
If this is in the wrong forum, my apologies for the mistake. Still learning how the different sub-fora relate to each other.

I started shaving in March with a cheap VDH boar brush and it's the one I've been using since. I know a lot of people complain about the quality, but I haven't had any problems with it. However, I want to upgrade a bit once the new year arrives. I bought my father a Whipped Dog silvertip for Father's Day and tried that out recently, and I loved the softness, but it doesn't have enough backbone for me. Since this is the place I usually come to read in-depth reviews of brushes, I thought I'd ask the experts: What brush might you recommend that has a bit more backbone than a Whipped Dog but has the same lovely softness?

Thanks and happy apocalypse!

5 407
 12-21-2012, 07:43 AM
User Info
Check out the Prince & Monarch range of brushes from Wet Shaving Products.

31 7,914
 12-21-2012, 08:11 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Sounds like you want a 2-band/Finest brush.

SharpSpine already mentioned WSP (the Prince is discounted through the end of the year). Vintage Blades' house brand finest has been getting good reviews, too.

I have the Semogue Owner's Club 2-band, and it's my favorite brush. However, it doesn't have the pillowy softness of a 3-band silvertip. It started off a bit scratchy and settled down to a nice, massage-like firmness.

10 1,858
 12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-21-2012, 07:03 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: What brush might you recommend that has a bit more backbone than a Whipped Dog but has the same lovely softness?

Hi

What is your price range?

Do you build lather directly on your face or in a bowl?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
About the Whipped Dog, you can get a little more backbone out of them by adjusting the loft and/or knot size.

12 743
 12-21-2012, 02:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have copied and paste it my answer from another thread.The following brushes have soft tips and good amount of backbone.

-Vintage Blades are getting excellent reviews with their 2 band brushes and are under 40 bucks with shipping , even less than that.

-Wet Shaving Products The Prince in silvertip is 55 dollars but for bowl lathering The Monarch in Supef Silvertip is great for 79 dollars.

-Simpson Commodore X2 or X3 in best badger.

-shavemac finest badger , a 23 mm one with an "hybrid" shape.

-Rooney or Trueffit and Hill 1/2 (24 mm knot) is a greag brush for 99 dollars plus 15% discount.

86 7,124
 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM
User Info
(12-21-2012, 02:24 PM)Teiste Wrote: I have copied and paste it my answer from another thread.The following brushes have soft tips and good amount of backbone.

-Vintage Blades are getting excellent reviews with their 2 band brushes and are under 40 bucks with shipping , even less than that.

-Wet Shaving Products The Prince in silvertip is 55 dollars but for bowl lathering The Monarch in Supef Silvertip is great for 79 dollars.

-Simpson Commodore X2 or X3 in best badger.

-shavemac finest badger , a 23 mm one with an "hybrid" shape.

-Rooney or Trueffit and Hill 1/2 (24 mm knot) is a greag brush for 99 dollars plus 15% discount.

Wow, thanks! That's a great list. I'm going to look into all the recommendations on this thread a bit more and figure out where to go from there. Thanks to everyone who answered.

And to mikeperry, I face lather, and would like to keep the cost under $100, but if the brush is good enough, that is not strictly necessary. Thanks again.

5 407
 12-21-2012, 04:48 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Shoot Bob Quinn (eskimo) a PM, he does great work making custom brushes. Handle style, handle color, hair style, customize everything the way you want it. He uses knots from TGN, WSP, and Shavemac. Check out some of his work in this thread.

10 1,120
 12-21-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
Thanks very much. I'll check it out. Smile

5 407
 12-22-2012, 02:18 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-21-2012, 04:26 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: And to mikeperry, I face lather, and would like to keep the cost under $100, but if the brush is good enough, that is not strictly necessary. Thanks again.

Hi

Taking Teiste's list and your above comments, here's what I (100% face latherer) would do if I was in your shoes...

1) Rooney Style 1 Size 2 for $99.99 + shipping (or add something cheap to the order to receive free shipping on orders over $100) or look at the Truefitt & Hill Silvertip Style 1 brushes here and use SNOOK 15% discount code here.

OR

2) Rooney Style 1 Size 1 for $79.99 + VB 2-Band Finest for $27.49

Personally I would go with the second option, 2 brushes for $107.48 (including shipping) and each brush will offer you something different (apart from trying two different badger hair types).

Of course the above is just my opinion and should be taken with a BIG! healthy dose of salt.

Good luck!

Take care, Mike

23 1,872