12-21-2012, 10:17 AM
User Info
I'm sure this has been beat to death...somewhere. But I'm not the type to wade through page after page of threads to find it. So I'll ask my brothers directly!

I recently got a really nice stainless steel handle from Griest Shaving. My review can be found here.
I have to admit, I'm a little nutty about symmetry and things out of order, which in the den equates to I don't like loose unmatched pieces around Biggrin
So I'm interested in pairing a SS head with this handle, but I need advice on which to look for, and how they shave. The how they shave question is most important, because right now even though I have about 20 razors, I'm almost exclusively using my R41. Before that I was almost exclusive R89. Therefore, given my experience with those two razors, the shave on the new SS head would hopefully offer me something different and comparable. Please give me your impressions of how they shave and comparisons to my R- razors if applicable!

Leaning towards Weber, but not the ugly DLC head. But I'd appreciate suggestions of other SS heads as well. Please keep them to heads that are (likely) easy to get.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to the info!

4 253
 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-21-2012, 10:17 AM)CyberJCM Wrote: Leaning towards Weber, but not the ugly DLC head. But I'd appreciate suggestions of other SS heads as well. Please keep them to heads that are (likely) easy to get.

Hi John

I highly recommend you read through, following along with Tom's excellent Stainless Steel Shootout thread...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-21-2012, 01:53 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-21-2012, 10:17 AM)CyberJCM Wrote: I'm sure this has been beat to death...somewhere. But I'm not the type to wade through page after page of threads to find it. So I'll ask my brothers directly!

I recently got a really nice stainless steel handle from Griest Shaving. My review can be found here.
I have to admit, I'm a little nutty about symmetry and things out of order, which in the den equates to I don't like loose unmatched pieces around Biggrin
So I'm interested in pairing a SS head with this handle, but I need advice on which to look for, and how they shave. The how they shave question is most important, because right now even though I have about 20 razors, I'm almost exclusively using my R41. Before that I was almost exclusive R89. Therefore, given my experience with those two razors, the shave on the new SS head would hopefully offer me something different and comparable. Please give me your impressions of how they shave and comparisons to my R- razors if applicable!

Leaning towards Weber, but not the ugly DLC head. But I'd appreciate suggestions of other SS heads as well. Please keep them to heads that are (likely) easy to get.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to the info!

I love the Weber and think it gives a great shave. They seem to have possibly discontinued the ARC/DLC heads, which means the two tone polished will probably be the standard Weber now. They don't sell the heads seperately, but the whole razor is only $70, which is probably equal to or cheaper than most other stainless heads. Of course that will still leave you with the problem of an extra handle laying around. Tongue

31 1,510
 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
User Info
Thanks Mike for suggesting I read through Tom's thread. Lots of good info, but either unfortunately or not, lol, it left me feeling like I don't really want any of those he tested! All sound to compare as far more mild than the R41, or they sound aggressive in a bad shave kinda way. I have the R41 dialed in, and it gives me perfect shaves every time... I almost don't feel the need for anything else unless it truly compared and excelled at finish or construction.

Maybe I just need another R41 head! lol That would solve my extra handle issue and be a razor I'd use!

4 253
 12-21-2012, 04:40 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-21-2012, 03:40 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: Thanks Mike for suggesting I read through Tom's thread. Lots of good info, but either unfortunately or not, lol, it left me feeling like I don't really want any of those he tested! All sound to compare as far more mild than the R41, or they sound aggressive in a bad shave kinda way. I have the R41 dialed in, and it gives me perfect shaves every time... I almost don't feel the need for anything else unless it truly compared and excelled at finish or construction.

Maybe I just need another R41 head! lol That would solve my extra handle issue and be a razor I'd use!

See..this is what puzzles me. I used to be a die hard moderate to heavily aggressive razor user. Fatips, R41 and Futur were all that would give me the shave I wanted, although the R41 I had to go slow and careful with, and at times it could feel a little rough on the face, but the results were outstanding.

However, the general consensus is that the Weber is a mild razor, I agree somewhat but only as far as how it feels on the face. Oddly enough I get the same exact shave from the Weber as I do from the R41, but it's a more enjoyable and smooth shave. I can also whip the Weber around if in a hurry with less worry of slicing myself up. I did have to figure out the perfect angle, until I did the shaves were sub-par, lots of leftover stubble and quicker beard regrowth. Once I hit the angle it was pure butter and the shaves are lasting 10-12 hours like the R41, yet it's a "mild" razor..that just puzzles me. Huh

31 1,510
 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-21-2012, 03:40 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: Thanks Mike for suggesting I read through Tom's thread. Lots of good info, but either unfortunately or not, lol, it left me feeling like I don't really want any of those he tested! All sound to compare as far more mild than the R41, or they sound aggressive in a bad shave kinda way. I have the R41 dialed in, and it gives me perfect shaves every time... I almost don't feel the need for anything else unless it truly compared and excelled at finish or construction.

Hi John

While I've learnt to shave efficiently with the R41 (2011 head design) and do enjoy it as a razor, no other DE razor I've used/tried has been so aggressive...

The Weber delivers a smooth, close shave, while being extremely easy (forgiving) to use. Compared to the Edwin Jagger DE89x I rate the Weber a step up on the aggressive scale. You can read my initial thoughts on the Weber (DLC) here...

The Tradere OC also delivers a smooth, close shave, is definitely more on the aggressive side, below the R41, but 3 or 4 steps above the Weber. You can read my initial thoughts on the Tradere OC here...

While not a stainless steel razor, an excellent "cheap" OC razor head is the Cadet, you can read my thoughts on this razor here...

I'm not sure if the above helps you any, but if you have any question, ask away and I'll try my best to answer (if I can).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM
User Info
John, i would have to suggest the Weber DLC to you if you want a comfortable and efficient shaver. Granted, i do use one shim in the razor, but it is very smooth.
i have tried most of the other SS razors and they are very nice, but the DLC is the smoothest, FOR ME.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 12-23-2012, 07:08 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
John,
I agree with the efficiency of the the Weber mentioned above. It's my "Goldilocks" razor, always providing a great shave with any blade, anytime. And now, your only option with Weber is the polished stainless steel top/matte bottom head.

But; it you want more closely match the unbridled, raw aggressiveness of the R41, the only Stainless Steel competitor IMO is the Above The Tie H-1 base plate. You can get it with either handle, the longer Titan or the shorter Atlas and you'd need to buy a total razor in the H-1 variety because the cap is not sold separately. After that,you can purchase separate base plates and/or handles.

The blade gap and blade exposure of the H-1 brings it very near R41 status but the shave for me, is smoother and "aggressively efficient" versus the R41's all out, bombastic experience. Biggrin

Eric

6 905
 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM
User Info
The Weber is my favorite safety bar razor among those I've tried (about 8 of them). I've not tried an R41 but from all accounts that is a much more aggressive shaver than the Weber.

15 762