12-21-2012, 12:25 PM
User Info
I'm certain the handle length is shorter on the 2nd generation but is there any difference with the head?

4 158
 12-21-2012, 01:00 PM
User Info
I've only used a 2nd gen but I read that it's milder.

7 1,179
 12-21-2012, 02:30 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I've owned and used both the Gen 1 and the Gen 2.

The Gen 2 turned out to be a much better shaver for me. The Gen 1 was very angle specific and while an okay razor, was quickly eclipsed by the 2nd Generation model for overall shaving ability.

The Gen 1 was more aggressive...but in a harsh sort of way. The Gen 2 is also fairly aggressive, but considerably smoother.

29 466
 12-21-2012, 02:48 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The Gen 1 was more aggressive to me. The Gen 2 is far more comfortable to me.

116 3,804
 01-16-2013, 03:22 PM
User Info
How does the Gen 2 OC compare to the closed bar option, and second question, how do the OC and the closed bar compare with the Muhle R41?

24 1,150
 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Gen 2 OC to me was a bit more aggressive than the sb. Neither are close to an R41

116 3,804
 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I have had the good fortune of trading for a 2nd gen OC. In comparison to the SB I found the OC to be a bit more efficient and yet also EXTREMELY smooth. In fact on two days growth I didn't even feel the cutting action at all with a fresh Astra blade in there. I got an effortless BBS shave after two passes and some touch up. The SB is also an effective shaver and a great razor but not quite as efficient for me as the 2'nd gen OC. To get a BBS shave with the SB took just a little more pressure (tiny bit) and work than with the OC. The results I got were very similar to my 37C slant but perhaps even a little closer with the OC.

I would imagine the R41 is in a whole different league of aggressiveness. I have never used it and really have no need or desire to.

I would highly recommend the Traderes (in any form) for all the right reasons, superb craftsmanship and superior shaving ability along with great comfort. The fact that Richard, the owner of the company is a really nice guy and responsive to questions as well as rare customer service issues doesn't hurt either... Biggrin

14 870
 01-18-2013, 05:13 AM
User Info
My initial curiosity brought me to the point of almost buying a first generation OC head from someone on one of the other forums. When it came to decision time, I read everything I could locate on the subject, and the posts by Richard, owner of Tradere, were what led me to a decision not to buy it. He states that the 1st Gen is not as aggressive as his own old Barbasol DE. I find the Barbasol DE floating head gives me a shave as close and smooth as the Cobra. The best DE I've ever shaved with. I'm still using the Muhle in a test rotation with the Barbasol and the Cobra, in addition of course to the straight razors. Because of the Goliath handle, now I've discovered that the old '39 Gillette Tech provides almost identically excellent shaves as the others. So, why do I need a shave that isn't as close and smooth as the Barbasol, Cobra, and the triangular hole Tech? I've got drawers and boxes of wonderful new and vintage razors that are "almost" as excellent, and really don't need any more.

24 1,150
 02-10-2013, 03:26 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I have bot the G1 and G2, and have shaved with the SB as well...

In order of effeciency.. G2, G1, SB

In order of comfort.. G2, G1, SB

We sometimes use the word 'aggressive' in different ways.. aggressive can mean more or less efficient or it can mean more or less comfortable..

The SB, which was only one generation, was a moment of misery. It lived up to all the notes I read about weepers and irritation.

The G1 and G2 OC, both yielded awesome shaves.. too close to call on closeness. But the G2 is the smoother of the pair. Likely the smoothest OC I have used.

The handle difference is small. Actually, I prefer the longer one, but the difference is so little that the retooling process might not have been worth it. But everyone asked for a shorter one and Richard responded...

33 914
 02-11-2013, 05:16 AM
User Info
I'm trying to hold off the urge to buy the Gen 2.....

I still haven't heard how it compares to a Fatip though.

0 652
 02-11-2013, 05:36 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(02-11-2013, 05:16 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: I'm trying to hold off the urge to buy the Gen 2.....

The Fatip head is more aggressive then any of the Tradere razors.

100 12,438
 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM
User Info
(02-11-2013, 05:36 AM)slantman Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 05:16 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: I'm trying to hold off the urge to buy the Gen 2.....

The Fatip head is more aggressive then any of the Tradere razors.

Is the head, smaller, bigger or similar in size to the fatip?

0 652