12-21-2012, 11:45 PM
User Info
First off, let me state that I am by no means trying to convert anyone to cold water shaving as do a good majority of the threads that I have read in the past. I do however, feel that I need to pass along a little information, an eye opener to me that could really help some of you out.

For years now, at times I experience tightness of the skin on my face, slight tenderness to the touch, and sometimes even a little itchiness in some areas of my face post shave. This has been more prominent in the cooler months vs summertime.
I never experience razor burn, tingling or pain post shave, just the previously mentioned sensations. I have always blamed the weather, dry skin, and even scritch from shaving brushes, but never the water. Charles Roberts (method shaving) and I were discussing it at his shop one day and he described it as "ph shock".

Move on to 2-3 weeks ago. I decided to try something I thought I would never do, shave with cold water!! No hot shower prep, no warmth to the scuttle water, no warm water on top of the soap, no warm water for the badgers, just plain cool tap water...Period.

To my surprise, my face is literally fixed! Seriously, post shave tightness and
"ph shock", gone! It feels wonderful after every single shave now. I have yet to experience any discomfort, dryness, tenderness or even an "exfoliated" feeling post shave now that I exclusively shave with cold water. Let me tell you, I am NEVER going back to warm water. Trust me I know, hot water feels sooo good, especially in the winter time, but my face apparently needs the cold water shaves. I mean it looks and feels better than ever.

Moral to the story is...If anyone out there experiences any negative sensations post shave, like I mention above, it may be worth the switch to make your shaves even better than before. Jeremy-

63 2,128
 12-22-2012, 03:17 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
It's all I use anymore.

Changing up a few key variables in my shave and switching to cold water has literally taken all my problems away.

No more ingrowns or razor bumps on the neck, no more redness post shave, skin isn't as dry.

Cold water is the way to go. Even this time of year, at least try cool water.

13 599
 12-22-2012, 05:02 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I would be willing to give it a try, but I always shave post shower.. I would expect that to negate some/all the benefits of cold water shave

33 914
 12-22-2012, 05:27 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
I also shave after a shower, but I only shower in warm water, never hot.

As soon as I get out of the shower and start my shave prep I'm constantly hitting my face with water to keep the whiskers hydrated and soft for the few minutes it takes me to start shaving.

13 599
 12-22-2012, 06:19 AM
User Info
Another cold water shaver here. Warm to hot water always leads to irritation, burn, tightness, & dryness. Switching to cold water about a year ago, yes in the midst of winter, took my enjoyment of shaving to an entirely new level. I have gone back to warm water on occasion and found that I can "get away" with it for a time or two. But the more I do it the more those same symptoms start showing up & worsening again.

This is another definite YMMV as our chemistries are all unique. However, as Jeremy said if you are having any negative post shave symptoms then give CWS a try. It may not be as luxurious as warm water during the shave but it may profoundly improve things after.

BTW, once you get out of a hot shower you normally emerge into much cooler air. A few splashes of cold water to the face before I load my brush & then a few more splashes right before I begin lathering still negates the heat from the shower for me.

31 7,914
 12-22-2012, 07:00 AM
User Info
I used to do the cold water thing then I expierimented with warm water, not hot water and the results were stellar. I found my happy medium but always will recommend cold water when threads about irritation and such pop up.

0 372
 12-22-2012, 08:04 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Interesting, I'll have to give it a shot. I also get the post shave tightness but only in the deep of winter.
I use tepid water from time to time and enjoy it just fine. How cold is the water you use? In winter the water comes out of my tap ice cold.

2 506
 12-22-2012, 10:40 AM
User Info
(12-22-2012, 08:04 AM)vuk Wrote: Interesting, I'll have to give it a shot. I also get the post shave tightness but only in the deep of winter.
I use tepid water from time to time and enjoy it just fine. How cold is the water you use? In winter the water comes out of my tap ice cold.

The water in central TX is still just cool, even during winter. During a real cold spell, it does get close to ice cold for a few days though. You can experiment with varying temps to see what works for you. An entire shave with ice cold water may be on the exteme end of the opposite spectrum of hot water, which could also be negative I suppose.

63 2,128
 12-22-2012, 02:26 PM
User Info
Jeremy, wow, i am surprised it took you that long to try it.
i absolutely love it. Congratulations on the revelation. Now, all you need is the unrefined shea butter to accentuate the feeling and the great skin. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 12-22-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
I am surprised by how many of you already cold water shave, it does wonders that's for sure. I appreciate the added input from some of you.

(12-22-2012, 02:26 PM)celestino Wrote: Jeremy, wow, i am surprised it took you that long to try it.
i absolutely love it. Congratulations on the revelation. Now, all you need is the unrefined shea butter to accentuate the feeling and the great skin. Hee hee.

Celestino, I was being stubborn! I didn't want to give up the luxurious feeling of warm water and was in denial, apparently, that it could be the culpit. It did take too long to convert, but I am not looking back from here! Unrefined shea butter you say? Is this a common item at the drug store?

63 2,128
 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Tried it after this afternoon's shower..

It was a little disorientating and I'll need a few more attempts before I can make a ruling on it.

I didn't see a down-side, but no obvious upside either. Yet.

Lather seemed uneffected.. RazoRock Original, Rod Neep Custom, DB Bill Bowl.

Shave was BBS for sure.. Fatboy & Personna Red.

33 914
 12-22-2012, 06:32 PM
User Info
This is on my list of things to do. I think however I will try cool rather than cold first. Winter here is in the minuses after all.

0 87
 12-22-2012, 06:55 PM
User Info
I came to the same revelation recently. All my shaves are cold water and pre-shower now.

10 2,062
 12-22-2012, 07:54 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
The observations here are consistent with what I have read in other places, especially in terms of the reduction of razor bumps, ingrowns, and general inflammation. Since my skin is really sensitive and is very easily irritated, I should give this a try. But, I really like the comfort of a hot water shave. Undecided

I've also read that Williams shave soap actually works well with cold water.

- Murray

4 1,150
 12-23-2012, 05:58 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
So inquisitive as I am, does anyone know what science is behind this and does the whisker react differently to cold and hot water?

33 914
 12-23-2012, 07:18 AM
  • pcumby
  • Newfoundland ,Canada
User Info
(12-21-2012, 11:45 PM)cessnabird Wrote: No hot shower prep, no warmth to the scuttle water, no warm water on top of the soap, no warm water for the badgers, just plain cool tap water...Period.

Jeremy
thanks for posting
What do you do for face prep? and what did you do previous to cold water shaving?

1 13
 12-23-2012, 07:59 AM
User Info
I don't have any issues when I shave with hot water, but I did try a cold water shave some this summer. It worked fine with no issues, just lacked the luxury that hot water gives me.

2 697
 12-23-2012, 11:13 AM
User Info
So I tried this today.

It was ummmmmmmm cold.

Seriously though I did feel it did reduce razor burn in the against the grain pass. Having said that instead of it being 8 out of 10 razor burn heat level on the neck for a couple of hours afterwars with hot water it was still a 4 out of 10 with cold water.

The hunt for the perfect against the grain neck shave goes on (Which is why 9 times out of 10 I don't shave against the grain).

Oh, and I had no problems lathering with cream which I thought I would.

0 87
 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
My best shaves generally seem to be cold water.

I do mix it up however. If I'm looking at snow outside, I'll generally reach for one of my scuttles. If it's summertime... cold it is.

2 546
 12-24-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
I'm a CW shaver. During the Summer months, I like to throw ice cubes in the sink. Invigorating.

9 1,199