12-22-2012, 03:03 AM
User Info
Just for fun, I summarised all my razors:

> Ever-Ready 1914 vintage SE; Used to belong to an old friend of the family. Lovely razor, but don't work all that well on my neck. Not given up on it yet..
> Cadet TP-01; Three piece open comb. More aggressive and less mild than my Merkur OCs - efficient, comfortable, inexpensive and well made razor.
> Cadet TTO-13; Twist To Open safety bar. Reasonable flat blade angle and medium blade gap makes for an efficient and aggressive razor. Fairly heavy.
> Feather Popular; Mild Twist To Open of mixed construction. A good razors for beginners and shavers wanting a mild razor - PIFed mine away and misses it.
> Gillette 1958 TV Special; Vintage Twist To Open short handled razor. Shaves great, fairly mild. Worth it if you can find one in good condition.
> Merkur 25C; Long handled three piece Open Comb. Mild yet efficient, one of my favourite razors.
> Merkur 39C: The AXE of my collection. Heavy, slanted and somewhat aggressive, this three piece razor will take a weeks growth off in one pass. Highly recommended.
> Merkur 985CL; Short handled open comb travel razor. As mild and efficient as the 25C, but half the weight and a shorter handle.
> Parker 22R; My very first DE, and you'll have to take it from my cold, dead hands. Reasonable mild, somewhat unforgiving to user errors. I would recommend it, but be aware that Parker has somewhat of a reputation of poor quality control.
> Racer razor; Cheap and cheerful mixed construction two piece. Flat blade and largish blade gap makes for an aggressive but not very harsh shave. Cap covers ends of blades, good for travelling and people wanting a cheap razor.
> Wilkinson Classic; Solid two piece razor of mixed construction. Middle of the road razor as far as aggressiveness goes, good razor for beginners in my opinion.
> Unknown German Bakelite Slant; Possible made by Merkur, short handled three piece slant. Very light weight and surprisingly mild, it comes highly recommended.
> Yuma safety razor; Three piece pot metal razor. Feels harsh but gives a smooth shave, very loud due to hollow handle. Not for beginners, but recommended if you want a fun and slightly scary razor.

Links to more in depth reviews on this page of my blog - each review have also been posted here, so you can look through all my threads to find them.

/edit: Typos

3 3,550
 12-22-2012, 04:09 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Nice collection!

91 17,795
 12-22-2012, 04:32 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Like this quite a bit. Nice job as always Hans. Let me summarize mine as well

Tradere Standard Bar-My 1A razor and my most aggressive razor and also my favorite. Two passes and done with this one

Weber ARC-My 1b. Great shave mildly aggressive. Great handle and rather comfortable

Merkur Futur-my 1C razor. Each time i use it I wish I'd use it all the time. The best adjustable made bar none to me at least. It's a bit big and unwieldy at first, but once mastered it's a great razor.

Gillette Tech-Mildest of Milds but still gives me a great shave. The Fat Handle makes it easy to hold onto

Gillette Slim-Another great adjustable. I set it at 5 and forget it most times.

Gillette Super Adjustable-from my birth year and quarter. See description for the Slim. Good shaver

Schick Type E-most call it aggressive I call it comfortable. Wonderful shaver that feels like cheating.

116 3,804
 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM
User Info
Nice user collection.

I wonder if you have a mild ER '14; similar to the one I had. The norm is a fairly aggressive whisker axe. Of course you can't get rid of one that came through the family, but you might consider keeping your eyes open for a new one. Look for one with a round knurled handle. (I don't remember what yours is like Hans.)

I'm at your service if you need help getting it into Norway.

32 6,308
 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM
User Info
Hans, great collection! Thanks for sharing.

75 20,883
 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Al least they are not in alphabetical order...I would be a little worried then. Tongue

45 16,278
 12-22-2012, 11:41 PM
User Info
(12-22-2012, 02:36 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: <snip> Look for one with a round knurled handle. (I don't remember what yours is like Hans.)
This is my Ever-Ready 14:
[Image: OldSE06.jpg]
It made a mess of my neck - nicks and weepers - but I'm not sure if the razor is too aggressive, if the blade was a dud or I just failed as far as technique goes. I will try it again sometime in the new year.

3 3,550
 12-23-2012, 12:57 AM
User Info
In theory that should be a good one Hans. I'm at a loss to explain it.

One question... are you allowing the head cover to brush against the skin? The angle for SE can be seen as significantly different than for DE. You probably are, but I had to ask. You should hear it when it's working right. There should be no doubt when it's cutting whiskers - it'll be loud.

I think I remember you using good blades.

OK, that's all I have. I need to get some sleep now.

Edit: I didn't see that last line until I was ready to hibernate the computer. Yes, it's quite aggressive. That could be the problem. Technique has to be close to perfect. No pressure, and I mean none, not just little pressure. Angle is, well, get it wrong and it becomes a pussycat as does any razor. If you're using GEM SS ptfe blades they are wicked sharp. Do you have a SE razor to use the blades in for a few shaves before putting them in the '14? If not, I can send you one. Let me know. I find the GEM blades to require a bit of dulling in a milder razor before I like them in my aggressive SE razors. GEM just makes too sharp a blade. Good problem to have.

32 6,308